MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #16
BBQDaddio
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagge View Post
It was about 2:20, but at 2 hours I could tell the chicken was not where it should be so I opened up vent full. I was able to get some more heat and finish it off but still was not done enough and the tips of the breast were starting to dry out.

I put my cyberq in after the cook just to see where things were and had about 303. I closed the vent down to 1/4 and temps stayed about 300-320 for the next several hours. It burned for about 6.5 hours total.

I guess it could have been charcoal but it was bought at HEB then used pretty quick. I followed the manufacture instructions.

I just hate the risk for -turkey day

Thanks for the reply's as I walk through this moment of grief and sadness
Wagge how did you light the charcoal again?

Give it another try today if you can.

Fill up the basket with charcoal and remove about half to a 3/4 of a chimney.
Light the chimney to most of the briquettes are ashed over not all of them have to be.
Try to pour the lit briquettes over the charcoal basket as evenly as possible. Add in the bars and leave the lid off the pbc for 10 mins to let the coals get going. In ten mins put the lid on and wait until sweet blue smoke starts coming out. During this time you should be in the 260-300 range.

This is my experience using kingsford blue bag and as well using Trader Joes briquettes.

If temp is not there you can crack open the lid for more air.

In my opinion I would adjust the intake to 1/4 open and do not touch it at all until you get comfortable with the cooker. I would also use KBB to eliminate any variables.

Please keep us updated we are here to help.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #17
wagge
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQDaddio View Post
Wagge how did you light the charcoal again?

Give it another try today if you can.

Fill up the basket with charcoal and remove about half to a 3/4 of a chimney.
Light the chimney to most of the briquettes are ashed over not all of them have to be.
Try to pour the lit briquettes over the charcoal basket as evenly as possible. Add in the bars and leave the lid off the pbc for 10 mins to let the coals get going. In ten mins put the lid on and wait until sweet blue smoke starts coming out. During this time you should be in the 260-300 range.

This is my experience using kingsford blue bag and as well using Trader Joes briquettes.

If temp is not there you can crack open the lid for more air.

In my opinion I would adjust the intake to 1/4 open and do not touch it at all until you get comfortable with the cooker. I would also use KBB to eliminate any variables.

Please keep us updated we are here to help.
Thanks guys, I talked to Noah this morning and he thinks it the Kingford. Also told me do not adjust the vent, leave it at 1/4 and to put the meat/lid on at 12-13 minutes after lighting, not even 15 as he stated that as soon as the lighter fluid burns off its ready.

So with that said, I will head over to Academy and pick up Kingsford, then over to Costco for a meat pickup.
wagge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #18
BBQDaddio
is one Smokin' Farker

Great news. Let us know how it goes.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:13 PM   #19
16Adams
somebody shut me the fark up.

All natural hardwood Briquettes I use in my PBC-all with excellent results. I do not use Kingsford Blue.

Stubbs
Trader Joes
B&B
Royal Oak-and their various rebranded "ridgeline"
Kings ford Competition

I also use several same and different brands of lump. I keep them in my garage.
Wife says I have 33 bags of various coals. I only counted 32. ����

Old 11-25-2013, 06:22 PM   #20
BBQDaddio
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16Adams View Post
All natural hardwood Briquettes I use in my PBC-all with excellent results. I do not use Kingsford Blue.

Stubbs
Trader Joes
B&B
Royal Oak-and their various rebranded "ridgeline"
Kings ford Competition

I also use several same and different brands of lump. I keep them in my garage.
Wife says I have 33 bags of various coals. I only counted 32. ����
16adams it looks like you room for one more bag of charcoal.

I still have a little over 400 pounds of kbb left. Next summer will do a stock up of Trader Joes Briquettes. Gotta try the royal oak ridgeline briquettes. But trying to burn through my stock of KBB before purchasing any more charcoal.

Old 11-25-2013, 09:32 PM   #21
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Have not had the pleasure of speaking to Noah, but I do know they stand behind their product like true professionals.
DO NOT hesitate to let the PBC rock your Turkey Day Bird! You will love it. As cheap as they are right now, do quick practice bird during the week. This one was about a 3hr cook.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=176004
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-25-2013, 09:42 PM   #22
SmittyJonz

Well did Fresh Charcoal cure what ails Ya ? Or is that tomorrow ?

Old 11-25-2013, 09:52 PM   #23
ssv3

Name/Nickname : Sako

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQDaddio View Post
Ssv3 pics please of the mod.

Sorry OP don't mean to hijack your thread. You've got a capable cooker in your hands it's just a matter of time before you do a whole lot from pizza to smoking bacon and everything in between.

Here you go Daddio. I made some cured sausage, ham and bacon. I needed more clearance to hang the cured meats and the grate sits way to high so I couldn't put the diffuser on the grate. I had this old elevating V rack laying around outside, it went into the firebox and my KJ diffusor on top of it. I did the cured sausages a few days ago and the bacon and ham yesterday. I hate the grill marks when hot smoking bacon etc so that's why hung it in the PBC.

The Ham cruising at about 200*. It smoked for 7 hrs to 150* it. I will smoke the ham in the kamado again next time since it takes about 4 hours max on the kamado.

The bacon and sausage though are a breeze at 2-3 hours at 200* max. No pics of the bacon smoke but you get the idea.

Blackstone Griddle Retrofit
Blackstone Pizza Oven
WSJ(K) WGA(P) WJJ(CU) W22(BI) W26(CL)
Pit Barrer Junior
Kingsford Oval (resto mod)
ssv3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 11-25-2013, 10:19 PM   #24
BBQDaddio
is one Smokin' Farker

Ssv3 that was what I was thinking when you mentioned a heat deflector mod.

That sausage looks tasty. I have a warehouse full of kitchenware and should be able to find a v rack. Thanks again for the tip and pics

Old 12-02-2013, 07:38 AM   #25
Freddy j
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBrisket View Post
it. As cheap as they are right now,
How much are they?
Freddy j is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-02-2013, 07:47 AM   #26
16Adams

I saw one store 0.27c# with 20$ purchase