MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-11-2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Default Chucks and Brisket injection

I'm going to cook a couple of Chucks and some Brisket tomorrow. First question.. I'e been reading about cooking briskets a little quicker and hotter at 300 and using butcher paper. I plan on doing this. Do you cook the Chucks the same way? Will parchment paper work as well?

When is the best time to inject for maximum juiciness.

Thanks

B
UDS
Blutch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2013, 06:10 PM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Sure, beef shoulder (chuck or clod) can be cooked hotter in the 275° to 300° pit temp range. I hope you could get thick ones, they are easier to cook. If you are going for pulled beef, chucke do benefit from a wrapped finish.

Parchment paper has a release agent, so it might not be your best bet. There is a 'natural' parchment paper out there, but it is hard to find.... so maybe foil will be your best bet.

I tend to late inject mine when they get to an internal of 160°, and then I wrap (adding some more juice to the foil) and cook tender, then rest in a cooler for an hour or two.

Here is my current beef juice I use on brisket, chuck or prime rib. It a modified version of juice that RRP turned me on to. If you don't have all the stuff, you can wing it.... your goal is a jazzed up beef broth, strong on the beef flavor, but not too salty because if you do a late injection there is not a lot of time for the salt to cook down.

RRP AuJus - ~thirdeye~ version for AuJus or Injecting

(My version begins with beef consume for a deeper beefy flavor, uses dry onion soup mix, and more water as the consume is saltier and thicker than beef broth. I went heavier on Wooster and added soy sauce to increase the umami*, and added a couple of other ingredients).

1 14 oz can Beef Consume
1 packet Lipton Beefy Onion Soup (dry mix)
1-1/2 of the soup can cold water
5 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
2 splashes of Soy Sauce
1 teaspoon of garlic salt
2 teaspoon Herb-OX beef bullion
2 teaspoons Montreal Steak rub
1 teaspoon Smokin’ Guns Rub**
1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Bring ingredients to a low simmer in a saucepan, and cook for 15 to 20 minutes. Try to avoid having the liquid come to a boil. Additional water can be added if flavors are too strong, or if liquid gets too thick. AuJus is a thin table sauce, NOT a gravy. Pour through strainer to remove the onions and coarse pieces from the Montreal Steak rub. Serve warm as an aujus, or use as an injection.

Any leftover can be frozen in small containers or an ice cube tray to use later on...

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by thirdeye; 01-11-2013 at 06:43 PM..
thirdeye is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #3
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Thirdeye - You are a national treasure!

B
UDS

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
thirdeye

Thanks for the kind words.

Say, I made an adder to the recipe regarding left over AuJus. Freeze in small containers or ice cube trays and you can warm up small amounts for a steak or a French Dip.

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Bludawg

If you cook it cook it right it will be plenty moist without injecting. Two reasons a brisket gets dry under cooking and over cooking, in either case an injection won't help you. I cook my briskets at 300 4 hrs wrap in BP until Probe tender, remove from the pit and let it sit until the internal temp is into the 150's.

Old 01-12-2013, 01:16 PM   #6
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Guys, I bought some butcher paper at Hobby Lobby - only place I could find it. It has a waxy side. Is that right??

B
UDS

Old 01-12-2013, 01:32 PM   #7
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blutch View Post
Guys, I bought some butcher paper at Hobby Lobby - only place I could find it. It has a waxy side. Is that right??

B
That's most likely a variety of Kraft paper, not to be confused with craft as in arts and crafts, or Kraft like the cheese. The waxy surface is not good for cooking. Freezer paper has a wax side too. You want butcher paper.

BTW, Kraft is the name of one process used to change pulp into paper. There are many varieties of Kraft paper for a variety of uses.

Old 01-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #8
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

Dammit. I have NO clue where to find Butcher paper. This is labeled butcher paper. When I go to the butcher, this seems to be what I get.. a glossy side and a paper side. So, the chucks and brisket are on the smoker and the chucks are at 160. Do I go ahead and use this paper or do I use the parchment paper I bought or just go with foil?

Thanks B
UDS

Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #9
thirdeye

Quote:
Dammit. I have NO clue where to find Butcher paper. This is labeled butcher paper. When I go to the butcher, this seems to be what I get.. a glossy side and a paper side. So, the chucks and brisket are on the smoker and the chucks are at 160. Do I go ahead and use this paper or do I use the parchment paper I bought or just go with foil?

Thanks B
Some butcher paper has 'sizing' on it. Sizing is a starch-like product, it's natural I guess. Freezer paper is clearly marked as "coated" and this stuff will not leak through with liquids. Some types of butcher paper are called 'steak paper', made for wrapping raw meat,.... and deli paper, used for sandwiches and things like that, they have a dull and shiny side.

So, if your paper is labeled butcher paper you could have something other than the plain jane variety, and I suppose it could be okay, but I'm wondering if it was intended for kids to draw on or something and that's why it is sold at Hobby Lobby. Maybe someone else will chime in on this.

Bottom line is, foil still works just fine, and it's been used for barbecue for a long time...

Old 01-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

I went ahead and wrapped the chucks in two layers of parchment paper. I don't think it will work for the brisket as it is a big brisket and the parchment paper isn't wide enough. I might try the butcher paper. It does say "SAFE FOR FOOD." but it is definitely sold there as something to color or draw on. I couldn't find butcher paper anywhere else locally, but didn't go to restaurant supply.. it is on the other side of town.
UDS

Old 01-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
thirdeye

Quote:
I went ahead and wrapped the chucks in two layers of parchment paper. I don't think it will work for the brisket as it is a big brisket and the parchment paper isn't wide enough. I might try the butcher paper. It does say "SAFE FOR FOOD." but it is definitely sold there as something to color or draw on. I couldn't find butcher paper anywhere else locally, but didn't go to restaurant supply.. it is on the other side of town.
Well, a restaurant supply store would be a great starting place, but they might only stock the white, not the pink or brown. My Sam's Club has rolls of the white.... 18" X 500' for $17. The brown is available online but be prepared to pay about half the price for shipping...... however, it's handy to layout on your kitchen counters when you are prepping stuff, it makes clean-up a dream. I also use it as tray liners, and when wrapping up delicate stuff for mailing.

Hopefully the parchment will hold the juices, chucks really benefit from a wrapped finish, where as brisket has a different amount of fat and can stay moist without wrapping.

Old 01-12-2013, 07:11 PM   #12
Blutch
Full Fledged Farker

The parchment worked great doubled up. Held juices in and had a great bark. I'm very pleased. The Brisket is still on with the butcher paper. it is taking longer to finish than I thought it would.. although I had a fuel problem in the middle which might explain it. I have some trout on there too to smoke for dip. :) Thanks!
UDS