MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Default MBN Backyard Competition

I'm planning to do a backyard competition attached to a pro MBN event in a few weeks, and I was hoping to get some thoughts. I've never really done an MBN Backyard, so there are some differences from KCBS, one of them being that there is no garnish allowed. Of course, last time I did a backyard they started out saying KCBS garnish rules and then changed them the day of, so we'll see. I can probably cook my way through the categories, but as has been discussed many times around here, and I had to "teach" some one at the last backyard comp I did, it's not about cooking the best food, it's about cooking the food that the judges expect and will score well, so keeping that in mind.....

For ribs, I was planning on doing my standard competition ribs, but since it's no garnish, making sure that I fill the container. Do MBN teams usually do single bone or double bone when turning in blind box? Double bone may help fill it out, as would putting in 7,8, or more individual servings.

For chicken, I was once again planning on doing my standard fair, thighs, but I was also planning on putting in some legs for "garnish" to help fill out the box. I figure this will help it look better filled out, I buy quarters anyway, and as has been said on TV before, some judges like food they can hold on to. The only downside I can see is that I probably won't get six of each in the box, so if all six want legs, they may be SOL, but I think it's worth it for a full box. Any other thoughts or suggestions, remembering this is no-garnish MBN?

And finally, there is the beef category. This is a real "beef" category, not brisket, so the field is wide open. I could do brisket like I do for KCBS, but I could also do pulled beef chuck, or sliced beef loin (a la money muscle) or tri-tip, or whatever. On the one hand, I'd hate to turn in anything besides brisket if that's what the judges expect, but on the other hand, if they are open, I want the best BBQ beef product out there, and I think that's not brisket. Any one have any thoughts or advice on what to do for a beef category in a backyard comp attached to MBN? I suppose I could try to contact the organizer to try to find out from where he's getting his backyard judges, but I've worked with this organizer before and the honest truth is that he sucks at this. His eMail replies take a while to come, when they do they are short, cryptic and barely answer the question, and in my experience, the things he tells me are usually just not true (See garnish situation above). I'd rather not depend on him, and get other brethren to help.

So, lemme know please. Any other thoughts on this comp, I'd appreciate it. It's hard to really plan out because they don't have turn in times, and that changes the beef I cook, but again, this organizer sucks. Last time I didn't get turn in times until a few days before the event, and several teams never got them.

dmp

dmprantz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #2
markpmc
Knows what a fatty is.

Last weekend we took first overall in the backyard @ Butler AL. Every backyard contest is a little different, but here's how ours went.

Booth - yes the dog and pony show matters a bit. In fact this year it put us over the top. Find out if the judges 'just do a walk thru' for the booth area. You may need to give 5-10 minute talk about your cooker, wood, temp ,etc. Just make sure you're neat.

Ribs - We do well turning in 8 STL ribs. 1st place last 3 years, 4th this year.
Chicken - 8 thighs. 3rd place this year, best finish at this contest.
Beef - If it's anything goes beef, I'd turn in sliced point from a brisket. I think it taste better than the flat.

Remember MBN is COMPARATIVE judging. You need enough meat in the box to allow the judges multiple tastes.

Good luck,

Mark
markpmc is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-11-2010, 11:46 AM   #3
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Ribs - double bone in blind box. Also, they define what the perfect rib is differently from
KCBS. It should pull cleanly from the bone with only a little resistance. Not falling
apart mind you, but pull cleanly.

Chicken - this is a back yard thing. I have no idea. However, per basic MBN rules,
if it's in the box, they're required to sample it...

Beef - again, not really an MBN thing, soo... I'm thinking to myself, what do I make
best. Seriously, if you make a great brisket, go with it. If not, go for the pulled
chuckie. That, or even a combination of the two...

Judges - I'll bet big dollars that they're using the same judges for MBN as their
backyard. I'd adhere as closely to MBN definitions as possible.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-11-2010, 11:51 AM   #4
Lake Dogs

MBN - the onsite (for pro division) has the same judging categories for the meat as
the blind. There are then 2 additional lines to be judged, one for team/site appearance
(98% of this is cleanliness) and then presentation of the meat. BE NEAT / CLEAN.
We actually have on our schedule an 8am clothes changing to get in the *uniform* and
get CLEANED UP.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks guys. I honestly hadn't thought about any on-site, as the "rules" just talk about blind turn ins. I'll have to double check this.

To clarify, and I know this could change from comp to comp, but are you saying that if I put drummies in the box then the judges are required to taste it, or only that if I put chicken in the box they are required to taste it? Rules state 6 servings. I was planning on putting in 6 thighs and 2-4 legs. Would I be shooting myself in the ....leg by doing that here?

I'm leaning toward pulled chuck. Especially if these are MBN judges, I bet they'll be able to appreciate it more than brisket. Will have to see.

Thanks again!

dmp

Old 10-11-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
Lake Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmprantz View Post
Thanks guys. I honestly hadn't thought about any on-site, as the "rules" just talk about blind turn ins. I'll have to double check this.

To clarify, and I know this could change from comp to comp, but are you saying that if I put drummies in the box then the judges are required to taste it, or only that if I put chicken in the box they are required to taste it? Rules state 6 servings. I was planning on putting in 6 thighs and 2-4 legs. Would I be shooting myself in the ....leg by doing that here?

I'm leaning toward pulled chuck. Especially if these are MBN judges, I bet they'll be able to appreciate it more than brisket. Will have to see.

Thanks again!

dmp
I'm thinking go without the legs in the box. It'll just create confusion.

MBN judges, most of them having done many comps over many years,
are very accustomed to seeing Q without garnish. The basic rule of
thumb is "fill the box" as much as possible. So, with the thighs, see if 8 or
9 fit in there and go with that. If just 6, go with it. Dont cram them in,
but definitely fill the bottom if at all possible. Like KCBS, you dont want
sauce pooled in the bottom.

I was reading MBN's thing on their website about the backyard cookoffs,
and it talked about a 2nd turnin and it possibly being a 2nd blind turnin
rather than the onsite. If it were me, I'd ask.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
Yazoo's
Knows what a fatty is.

Most MBN backyard events run just like KCBS Backyards. Relative to judging you might be better aiming for more of a MBN sample though as I know sometimes MBN judges get assigned to the backyard- although they may have people off the street as well judging. That's the thing about backyard events, even at a sanctioned cookoff there are very many standard rules for the backyard event. Other than just seeing what a cookoff is like, that's why we don't recommend cooking them. If you are wanting to grow as a cook and competitor, it's hard to get consistent judging results out of these type events.

Is this the Franklin contest? We are debating about heading up to that one.
MemphisBBQCO.com
Yazoo's is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-12-2010, 07:17 AM   #8
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Thanks for the info! Yes it is the Franklin comp, and I'd love to see y'all here! I worked with a team at MIM this year (your year:) but I have never done MBN myself, and as a one man team, I just don't think I could hack it, presentation wise nor cost wise. Even with a helper or two, it'd be difficult. Franklin is about 20 minutes from my house, and I think my family would enjoy the pumpkin festival, so it's really about supporting Franklin and being there for the event more than anything else, but that doesn't mean I won't try. Thanks again!

dmp

Old 10-12-2010, 09:21 AM   #9
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Pete,

After thinking about your post a bit more, saying that the BY is run like a KCBS, are you saying that judges might be expecting brisket for the beef category? As of right now, I'm planning on doing a chuck roll, KCBS butt style, with pulled and sliced. Do you think that would be shooting myself in the foot? Am I just overthinking this?

Thanks,

dmp

Old 10-12-2010, 02:20 PM   #10
Yazoo's
Knows what a fatty is.

Not sure whether the beef is the "anything butt" of friday night or a backyard category. If it is an ancillary on Friday night, I would steer clear of Brisket. Typically that is more of a showpiece type of contest- beef tenderloin, etc. If it's a backyard category I would think you'll be fine with your chuck or a brisket. Don't overthink, just make it taste good and maintain moisture.
MemphisBBQCO.com

Thanks from: --->
Old 10-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #11
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

when and where is this comp? thats just up the road for me
sitnfat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-13-2010, 03:05 PM   #12
Yazoo's
Knows what a fatty is.

Franklin, TN. Just below Nashville.

http://www.franklinsbattleofthebbq.com/
MemphisBBQCO.com

Old 10-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #13
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Remember, it's an MBN competition and a backyard. No KCBS, but do let me know if you come up for it, or just come hang out:)

dmp

Old 10-13-2010, 07:35 PM   #14
sitnfat
is one Smokin' Farker

yeah I may make it a family day and come and check out how MBN is done I would love to do some ribs in memphis one of these days
sitnfat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-14-2010, 06:53 AM   #15
dmprantz
is One Chatty Farker

Cool. There's a chair and a beer with your name on it if you stop by. Two if you come up early and pull my pit ;-)

dmp