Need a basic guideline for smoking a pork butt on UDS

ClintHTX

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Been stepping up my game past couple of months. Smoked ribs, fatties and briskest and one thing I have never smoked is a pork butt. I want to have pulled pork so can someone help me out? Thanks in advance!

well how I do it on mine is roughly 1 hour per pound and I foil it at about 150 degrees and pull it at about 190 degrees and let it rest in towels in either a cooler or if I'm home I just set it in the microwave for about an hour, you can hold it for up to about 3-4 hours if wanted. hope this helps

- rub & inject (optional) a couple hours or more before smoking and place back in fridge

- fire up UDS and stabilize at desired temp for 20 min or so till smoke is clear/blue. For more bark cook at low temp for first couple of hours

- put butt on smoker straight out of fridge for best smoke ring

- when meat reaches 195F internal start checking to see if done by pulling on the bone

the most forgiving...

Pork butt, or shoulder, bone in, boneless, is a very forgiving meat.
some will put it more eloquent then me but here goes:

get meat,

cover in rub, wrap and put in fridge overnight.

light smoker, minion method, 275F, cherry wood.

put on meat, cook until bone is loose, or 200-ish, wrap with tin foil, or don't, at 180F (1- 1 1/2 hours per lb)

put in cooler for 30 minutes plus.

pull and spinkle some extra rub into if you want.

cheap buns, with or without slaw
with or without sauce.

be even more popular.

wow! 4 replies in 6 minutes.

I like to smoke mine at about 250*. I have never foiled a butt while cooking. I pull it at about 195* and then wrap loosely in foil and a towel and let it rest for an hour.

roughly 50% shrinkage during cooking, 2/3 lb per person (raw)

increase if you aren't serving lots of other food.

you can never cook too much. if you are going to fire up the smoker, put as much pork on there as you can afford and bag all the extra meat. i use gallon and quart bags so depending on the dish (nachos, sandwiches, tacos, etc...) i have different sizes to pull out.

i don't bother vacuum-sealing it as it never stays frozen too long, but that doesn't hurt either.

I trim all of the 'hard' fat - the fat cap. Butt is very marbled so I never hesitate to trim fat, and still get a juicy product.

I don't foil, rather I wait out the 'stall' which occurs at around 150 meat temp, and again I think at around 188. Waiting until it gets to 190 - 195 is (I think) important.

Pulled Pork is very doable and the UDS is great for it. I leave 16 hours for the cook, and have a Stoker temperature controller so I can get some sleep !

You can never good too much, it freezes great, especially if you vacuum seal it.

Rub and sit in fridge over night.
I smoke it at 250 until it's at 195 degrees. This can be 10-12 hours I never cook by time/lbs.
I do not foil wrap
I let it sit at least 30 minutes, but if I can 1 hour in a cooler.

Does anyone know the ratio of lbs per person?

a 7.5 lb pork butt will easily make 10 good size sandwiches. Maybe more. I just cooked a 7.5 and a 9lb on 4th and used the 9lb to feed a bunch of people, i froze the 7.5lb butt for later use, pulled it out and fed 6 people on Saturday and then 6 more sandwiches on Sunday.

Does anyone know the ratio of lbs per person?

a 7.5 lb pork butt will easily make 10 good size sandwiches. Maybe more. I just cooked a 7.5 and a 9lb on 4th and used the 9lb to feed a bunch of people, i froze the 7.5lb butt for later use, pulled it out and fed 6 people on Saturday and then 6 more sandwiches on Sunday.

I typically do a half pound uncooked per person.

Pork butt is probably the easiest to cook, dry rub the night before, dry rub again right before it goes on. I run mine at 300* until is probes tender (normally just under an hour a pound). The high heat makes it necessary to go a little higher in IT to get tender, mine normally gets pulled off at 202 or 203

Butts are pretty easy to get good results with. Don't over-budget your cook time too much- I was intimidated when I read about people cooking them for 10+ hrs. Whatever reasons, shoulders only take about 6hrs in my drum. I did 3 in under 7 hrs my last cook. I cook shoulder picnics tho, and I usually go for the smaller ones for the exact reason of shorter cooking times. The new ball valve keeps my cooker right around 250* with no fuss, no muss.

Back