MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #46
bbqwilly
Babbling Farker

Thats an awesome rig. And the butts look amazing as well.
bbqwilly is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 09-27-2013, 07:32 PM   #47
bbqbull
Watching over us.

Great pit, pitmaster and awesome photos Wampus!
bbqbull is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 09-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #48
RevZiLLa
is Blowin Smoke!

Epic!

Brinkman water smokers (elec and charcoal)
Weber kettle grill
Uniflame Gold Stainless 5 burner propane grill / rotisserie
BBQ Grillware upright propane water smoker
A trench filled with wood coals and covered with chain link fence
RevZiLLa is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2013, 07:50 PM   #49
JazzyBadger
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
2 hours and 45 minutes in an the pork is 1/2 gone!
Job well done!

Old 09-27-2013, 10:59 PM   #50
chambersuac
somebody shut me the fark up.

Very well done. That pit is a smoking machine...really does well in the hands of a great pit master like you. Gotta tell ya, I miss her.

IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball maker and IMBAS Sgt. At Arms.

And now, brethren, I commend you to God, and to the word of his grace, which is able to build you up, and to give you an inheritance among all them which are sanctified. [Acts 20:32 KJV]
chambersuac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-28-2013, 06:43 AM   #51
ajmcedar
Full Fledged Farker

:rambling on:
The Fiery Furnace is not just any pit; many thanks go to the Brother that sold it to Dan.
This cooker has allowed many great charity cooks and a gathering of Brethren to assist in those happenings.
Thank you Kempis for carrying on the mission, she is being used to better our world.
I am great full to have been able to assist Dan and a few other brethren (you know who you are) along with his great family in just a few of those cooks.
The only thing she needs is a bell on the side.
:rambling over:

Kempis, good luck with the chicken, at least Ron_L won't have to work with it.

Old 09-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #52
SmittyJonz

Well did yall sell ALL that Pork?

Old 09-28-2013, 02:58 PM   #53
jeffturnerjr
is One Chatty Farker

thats a sweet looking smoker. very cool pics!

Old 09-29-2013, 11:10 AM   #54
Wampus

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmittyJonz View Post
Well did yall sell ALL that Pork?
Well, I'd hoped to update before now, but things have been insane since Friday night.

Here's the summary:

13 of the 20 butts sold on Friday. I pulled the last 7 and put them into 3 full pans with AJ.

20 more butts went on at 6:30 yesterday morning at the church.
Food service started at noon yesterday, so I reheated the pans in the smoker and had them at the food tent for service. The 2nd group of butts cooked quicker as input them on the hotter part of the Fiery Furnace. They all got wrapped at 11:00, or 4.5 hours in. The first few came off at about 1:00 and the remainder finished up around 1:30. The cooler was reloaded and went over to the food tent, where my oldest son was in charge of pulling and serving for the day.

The chicken was in the walk in fridge sometime on Friday. I was told that all 9 cases (40lbs each) were put in a fridge offsite to thaw on Monday, but after the butts came off and I went to get the chicken to start preseasoning the quarters, to my surprise, they were all still frozen solid! Apparently, they just stacked all 9 cases on a cart together when thy out them in the fridge, so they didn't thaw.

My wife and I started thawing the chicken in twos large, deep sinks with cold running water, them I seasoned after they started thawing. The Fiery Furnace was loaded to the gills at about 3:40 (dinner service was to start at 5:00), with some help of 3 additional racks that I had made last week. I got about 250 pieces on at once.

Even though some of he quarters were done in only 30 minutes, the time it took to open the smoker and handle all the pieces, really stretched out cook time. We were pretty much out of chicken on the service line by 5:25 and I was in the weeds for the rest of the night. People had to wait a lot, but the word on the street was that the chicken was killer, so everyone was very patient.

I finally pulled the last quarters and wings off at around 9:00, and for the 4-5 hours in between I was either moving chicken around, pulling it off and TEMPING EVERY SINGLE PIECE, loading more or just waiting for it all to cook.

The chicken was a huge hit though, so I'm glad of that.

My 13 yo son worked the pulled pork station alone for the entire time, from noon until 9ish when the lines finally died down. At the end of the night, all but 6 butts were gone, and I pulled the rest and it was out into half pans for staff members to have or sell by the pound.

SO proud of my boy. He insisted on helping the whole time and worked his butt off!

I'm sore as hell.
Have multiple burn on each forearm, my back and shoulders feel like I've been beat up by a gang of thugs. My eyes, lungs and throat are scorched from standing in and breathing all that smoke last night. BATTLE WOUNDS!

All in all, the Fiery Furnace cooked about 350 lbs of pork butts, 500 lbs of white and dark chicken quarters, and 30 lbs of wings. It's all GONE!

More pics to follow, bit I'm my son's football game right now.

What a weekend!

Old 09-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #55
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Sounds like a good time and a fun cook. Even though you hurt, it was fun and totally worth it I bet.

Old 09-29-2013, 11:21 AM   #56
Diesel Dave
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Way to go Wampus!!

Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring ― Marilyn Monroe
Diesel Dave is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 12:14 PM   #57
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Most Excellent Sir!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-29-2013, 12:29 PM   #58
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Great job!

Old 09-29-2013, 12:33 PM   #59
SmittyJonz

You Sir, are a Crazy Person!! I might of done 10 butts total.

Old 09-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #60
peeps

Awesome work!
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote