MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:39 PM   #76
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

I've used both the BGE starters and the Weber cubes and prefer the BGE ones. The Weber cubes flake quite a bit when you take them out of the package. Bust mostly I use a MAPP torch to get things going, it's much faster and a tank lasts quite a while.
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-03-2012, 11:52 PM   #77
Baby Back Maniac
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomo4me View Post
I'd be curious to hear why you make this supposition. Is it based on observation of another cooker?
I hope I am wrong. I just think the fact that it's already leaking air when the vents are closed is not encouraging. With it being so close to the lump and being removed so often, I can't see it getting better with time. Also, the fact that the vents were closed down so much to keep the temps at 275 makes me think it's already effecting the cooker temps.
Baby Back Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 12:08 AM   #78
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogsfan View Post
I hope I am wrong. I just think the fact that it's already leaking air when the vents are closed is not encouraging. With it being so close to the lump and being removed so often, I can't see it getting better with time. Also, the fact that the vents were closed down so much to keep the temps at 275 makes me think it's already effecting the cooker temps.
Just curious... why wouldn't you think it's the vent itself where the air leak is? When I did the positive pressure test on the unit during the seasoning burn in the second video test, the vent is where the air leak showed up mostly.

Old 03-04-2012, 12:26 AM   #79
AustinKnight
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : D

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMSetzler View Post
Just curious... why wouldn't you think it's the vent itself where the air leak is? When I did the positive pressure test on the unit during the seasoning burn in the second video test, the vent is where the air leak showed up mostly.
The leak is in the lower air vent brotha, use some high heat gasket silicone around it and you should be good. Your butt looked really good love the videos keep up the good work

Old 03-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #80
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

I'm not worried about heat getting to the lower ash pan gasket at all. The lump is insulated from that gasket by the firebox and its also above the gasket level so that gasket should be relatively cool compared to the top dome gasket.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:04 AM   #81
JackM
Got Wood.

Great job on the videos! The butt looked awesome. I'm really liking what I see from the CGK.

Old 03-04-2012, 01:24 AM   #82
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
I wonder how the BGE starter cubes compare to the Weber starter cubes? A box of 24 of the Weber cubes is less than 4 bux. In reality half a cube might work with those too.
Since I discovered how well crumpled up paper towel partially soaked with oil works, I haven't bought any fire starters.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-04-2012, 06:41 AM   #83
BBQ4FUN
Full Fledged Farker

Great conclusion. Looks like its well worth the $300. Thanks for the video reviews.
[SIZE=3]Weber Performer ([B]Black[/B])[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]UDS[/SIZE]
[SIZE="3"]Stoker WiFi Edition[/SIZE]
[SIZE=3]DigiQ DX ([COLOR=red][B]Red[/B][/COLOR][COLOR=black])[/COLOR][/SIZE]
[SIZE=3][COLOR=darkorange][COLOR=black]Super Fast[/COLOR] [B]Orange[/B] [COLOR=black]Thermapen[/COLOR][/COLOR][/SIZE]
BBQ4FUN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 07:07 AM   #84
BBQJack
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Here's Part 3 of the review: Cooking a 7-lb Boston Butt...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxyZasR9aF0
Great video series, thanks for taking the time to out it together.....

Old 03-04-2012, 07:11 AM   #85
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Nice review I'm impressed with the product for the price. I think it is well worth the money. Some have expressed concern that the paint may not hold up so well but I don't share that concern. I think it will last fairly well if you take care of the product and keep it out of the weather and it would be easy enough to paint it if needed. The only concern I have is that the removable ash pan seal won't hold up over time with the constant removal and cleaning process. If I buy one (and I probably will), I may just put a pan in the bottom to catch the ashes and then pick it up and dump it. If it ever did start leaking air, you could just seal it shut with high temp caulking as one option, or I suppose you could replace the gasketing if you could find some that fit. I have to believe there is a reason some of the others haven't gone with a removable base (other than added cost). Anyway, I don't see that as a huge issue since I think it could be easily resolved one way or another. Nice job JM.

Old 03-04-2012, 07:16 AM   #86
powerpig
Full Fledged Farker

Great video and butt. I'm really liking mine. It's a lot of cooker for the money.
powerpig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 11:50 AM   #87
Garyt
Found some matches.

I decided my Lang needed a baby sister after watching your videos, just picked one up at Menards for $279 with a $30 rebate. they also had Royal oak lump for $5.88 for 8.8lb bag, got 2. Thanks for the review. This thing is huge
Garyt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 12:00 PM   #88
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

One more update...

The two cooks in this video series used a total of 4.5 lbs of lump. I dug out all the unused lump this morning and weighed it. I had 4.5lbs of reusable lump leftover from the 8.8lb bag. I'm pretty impressed with that.

Thanks from: --->
Old 03-04-2012, 12:55 PM   #89
BillywannaQ
Full Fledged Farker

Another great video. I have a question: Do you think opening the top vent a little more would have gotten you down to about the 250 range? I figure it would let more heat out of the cooker. I am by no means second guessing you, I was just thinking about it. Thanks.
BillywannaQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-04-2012, 12:57 PM   #90
JMSetzler
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillywannaQ View Post
Another great video. I have a question: Do you think opening the top vent a little more would have gotten you down to about the 250 range? I figure it would let more heat out of the cooker. I am by no means second guessing you, I was just thinking about it. Thanks.
It would let more heat out but it also increases the incoming draft, which would raise the temperature of the coals at the same time.

Thanks from:--->

Tags
char-griller, chargriller, Kamado