Testing Mode - Side Dishes: BEANS

I did pineapple with some of your suggestions. did the brown sugar cinnamon type mixture, patted into the pineapple.

"I patted a little brown sugar into my pineapple" - homo lives where? Now on beans - if you're good you can do outstanding starting with dry beans. I ain't that good yet so I (regrettably admitting) usually start with a canned base. Hey - 20 farking years ago I started chili that way. :roll:

bamasmoker said:
I've got a great bean recipe that might work for you. I'll run it down but the main difference is you put browned sausage in it. Holly Moly it is good!

John
BamaSmoker
Sanders

Hmmm... anyone ever crumble up a fatty after it's done and put in baked beans?

Here is a recipe I got from my wife's aunt after she made them for a cookout last summer. I am sure it is a generic internet recipe, but they are good :eusa_clap

INGREDIENTS

4 cans Pork 'n beans, drained
1 large onion, diced small
1 green Bell pepper, diced small
1 cup bacon, diced
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 TBS Molasses
1 cup strong black coffee
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 TBS Dijon mustard
1 Tsp favorite hot sauce, more if needed
1/2 cup favorite BBQ sauce
INSTRUCTIONS

In a 12" Dutch Oven, saute bacon until slightly browned.
Add onions and saute until translucent.
Drain all but a couple of tablespoons of bacon fat
Add green Bell Peppers and saute until softened.
Add garlic and saute for a couple of minutes.
Mix in pork 'n beans, brown sugar, molasses, hot sauce, coffee, BBQ sauce, and the Dijon mustard, and add to onions/peppers/bacon.
Cook uncovered over medium-low heat for an hour or desired consistency is reached.

You know Mark, my problem is that when I soak beans, they never soften up properly.

I'll soak them overnight, bring them to a boil, then rinse and soak overnight, and I still end up with crunchy beans.

Can anyone help me out here?

PS, I need to use bags, versus cans of beans, cuz of the sodioum. Can't use canned beans (if possible)
Let me guess: You're on well water. When we moved into Winfield I found I could not make any legumes. Split peas never softened. I boiled them for hours and finally put them in the blender. Instead of becoming a smooth soup, they became a gritty gruel.

Now that we're on Lake Michigan water this is no longer a problem. Find a friend in a town close by that gets lake water and get water for beans from them.

And my first reaction to this thread is "beans come in cans?" :tongue:

Edit: Sucked into helping to revive an ancient thread. Replied to a guy who hasn't posted since November. :-/

Back