Head Country Original BBQ Sauce

Hi I'm going to do some Beef ribs soon, will try it out on them. Then decide if i should get more.

Thanks DanB

Hi All I tried the Head Country on some beef ribs, wasn't crazy about it. Wife didn't like it. Her favorite is ShopRite Special Edition Kanas City style, which is almost like Head Country..Go figure!!
I'm really not a sauce man love my ribs dry.
DanB

Last edited:
Head Country is made in Ponca City, Oklahoma, my home state. I think it FAR, FAR, FAR too sweet. Maybe you young guys have a sweet tooth, but I prefer KC Masterpiece sauce. I even thin it with a bit of Apple Cider Vinegar. Like it lots of BBQ, best on pork ribs. Tried one bottle, but even if is made here in Oklahoma, I won't be buying more of it.

Hi I kinda agree about he sweetness. Going to try a little on my next rib cook,maybe just a glase .
Thanks DanB

I too am from Oklahoma but have lived in NC for almost 20 years now. I happen to love Head Country and buy it everytime I'm back in OK. I really dislike NC style BBQ as I don't care for pickled bbq but that is what is great about BBQ in general - lots of choices some everyone should be able to find what they like.

Head Country is made in Ponca City, Oklahoma, my home state. I think it FAR, FAR, FAR too sweet. Maybe you young guys have a sweet tooth, but I prefer KC Masterpiece sauce. I even thin it with a bit of Apple Cider Vinegar. Like it lots of BBQ, best on pork ribs. Tried one bottle, but even if is made here in Oklahoma, I won't be buying more of it.

I picked up a few bottles and yes it is a bit on the sweet side, but pretty good. Tried it on some ribs and chicken. Heck at .99 a bottle, why not try it, it regularly sells for 3.99. I would not spend the 3.99, but at .99 yes!

For those of you that think Head Country is sweet, what sauce do you normally use? The reason I like it, is because it isn't as sweet as most commercial sauces.

For those of you that think Head Country is sweet, what sauce do you normally use? The reason I like it, is because it isn't as sweet as most commercial sauces.

I usually use Blue Hogs Original sauce for my ribs.
DanB

I picked up a few bottles and yes it is a bit on the sweet side, but pretty good. Tried it on some ribs and chicken. Heck at .99 a bottle, why not try it, it regularly sells for 3.99. I would not spend the 3.99, but at .99 yes!

:thumb::thumb:
How does one put more then 1 quote in a post??
Thanks DanB

This should last me until my next visit to Texas.

02cf27f40b29a362a28a7c22e52676c1.jpg

Just to make sure I am understanding what you are saying...you find Head Country to be sweeter than Blues Hog?

Hi Blue Hogs has more of a bite then Head Country, and not as sweet.
DanB

Hi Blue Hogs has more of a bite then Head Country, and not as sweet.
DanB

Everyone is of course entitled to their own opinion and individual taste is super subjective but I don't think very many people would say blues hog is less sweet than head country.

pbarber. I've only been to North Carolina once to visit Biltmore. Never had any North Carolina BBQ, but I understand what is BBQ is the Carolina's is pork. Grew up in Oklahoma and lots of family in Texas, so BBQ is really BEEF for me. A runny vinegar sauce is not what I like, so do, and that's OK. As my go to sauce I like K.C. Masterpiece. But for the most part, as in most of Oklahoma and Texas, if the BBQ is good. NO sauce. The BBQ speaks for itself. Looks like Aaron Franklin's simple method is what is golden to me. I've not eaten his BBQ, but my son lives in Austin and he eaten there many times and says it's really good. Good BBQ without sauce is the best!

Wish we could get it here but thanks to acouple of Brethren, It's Great on pork.

Back