Competition Rubs/Flavour Profiles - Help please

Pooky

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Me and my team-mate are going to start competing next year - The UK season starts in May, so I'm starting to put some rubs together now for practice - We don't have anywhere near the availability of proprietary rubs over here and to be honest, I've always liked making my own anyway.

Now, I'm pretty happy with my rubs for backyard cooking, but I know that in competition you're looking for those mind-blowing, multi-layered "one-bite" flavours that will make you stand out from the crowd.

So my question is - What are the flavour profiles I'm looking for in each category? I know sweet with a bit of heat as a general rule, but what will take my rubs from backyard favourites to competition quality?

As a rule when cooking at home - Pork (shoulder & ribs) I tend to use rubs that are salt/sugar/paprika led, Beef I generally go Dalmatian with the occasional addition of the usual suspects (onion, garlic, cumin), but I know this probably wont get me anywhere in competition - and as for chicken, I use the same as I do for pork but am a bit lost as to where to take this for competition standard.

I realise that nobody will what to give up their secrets, but I was hoping y'all might be able to give me an idea of what profiles I'm looking for and what direction to take these rubs forward to get that required flavour.

I should add that I prefer to stay away from anything "artificial" - MSG & other enhancers.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Last edited:
Im about to be trying out all the simply marvelous rubs, which i have heard nothing but amazing things about. I get them friday! But anyways, flavor profiles of rubs change with what your flavor profile of your injection, your sauce, your smokin wood, just everything needs to mesh. But it seems, ribs obviously sweet with some heat at the end, brisket savory, not sweet, pork same as ribs and chicken can really go a lot of ways. just dont make rubbery skins!

Try the West Coast Offense package: Here

That's uncanny - I was just on Twitter looking at that pack!
Think I'll order some when I get some spare cash - I just wish we had the exchange rate we had a few years back! Any idea how much shipping to the UK would cost?

Thanks bigzthamoose - I guess it's the Brisket & Chicken I was wondering about the most - I get the feeling chicken is the mystery for many. Been practicing and I THINK we've got the bite-through skin down - Although I'm sure it's doing that under the pressures of competition that's the skill.

Great advice regarding every flavour (rub/injection/smoke/sauce) pulling together - All about finding that balance!

Can't wait to start competing - I guess it's practice, practice, practice in the meantime - Whilst battling our "Great" British weather of course!

I won't try to turn your thread into a commercial but look at some of the proven rubs like Plowboys Yardbird and Smokin Guns Hot. Some other great rubs on the market are making some waves too like Killer Hogs The BBQ Rub, Wild Bunch Butt Burners, and Wicked Que.

Butcher BBQ has a great line of products also, will cover all the meat categories.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is your locale. What works good in one part of the world (or country for that matter) might not work in another. Make sure to keep that in mind. If people aren't familiar with the taste they won't like it no matter how good it is.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is your locale. What works good in one part of the world (or country for that matter) might not work in another. Make sure to keep that in mind. If people aren't familiar with the taste they won't like it no matter how good it is.

The magic is to try everyone's and use it to adjust the flavor to something you like. I think you will find what you are looking for.

Thanks folks - Great advice, as ever on this forum!

So, "Wicked Good Barbecue" ordered - Been sitting on my Amazon list for a while and had some credit to use up.

I'm going to get my hands on some of the rubs/sauces recommended (when I can warrant the international shipping costs or when I know someone who's coming Stateside) and try them out, get an idea of the popular flavours - I'll then probably try and re-create similar profiles myself and see how we get on. Either way, I'm looking forward to a long winter practicing!

Thanks again for the help all!

If you are interested in comparing your results to those of us here in the US, try to find contests put on by the UKBBQA. They are the only org in GB using KCBS sanctioning, rules and KCBS certified judges.

Good luck.

If you are interested in comparing your results to those of us here in the US, try to find contests put on by the UKBBQA. They are the only org in GB using KCBS sanctioning, rules and KCBS certified judges.

Good luck.

Thanks Funtimebbq - Absolutely, the plan is for our first comp to be with the UKBBQA - Their comps tend to be in the North of the country and as my teammate lives in that neck of the woods, that suits us really well.

The IBQN, who are the other main organisation over here, although not KCBS sanctioned, keep the format/judging similar to the KCBS too, so as to prepare any team that might be lucky enough to make it over to the States to compete.

Hi Pooky,
Look up Paul from American dry rubs and sauces either on the web or fb - you will find he has a lot of the most popular U.S. Rubs and sauces in stock and obviously saves you shipping costs because he is over here. Look forward to seeing you in May at our first competition.
Scott (ukbbqa).

Back