MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk > BBQ Brethren Throwdowns

Notices

BBQ Brethren Throwdowns Join us in the backyard for a fun bi-weekly photo contest and show off your BBQ creations! New categories are posted every other week, plus a special monthly category. Winners earn bragging rights, a Throwdown Certificate, prizes, and the chance to choose the next category. Some of our most talked about cooking techniques and recipes were given birth in the Throwdowns!

Old 05-28-2010, 09:08 AM   #46
nzrebel
Full Fledged Farker

Great looking Lamb Jim.

Dave

Old 05-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #47
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Point of order, and honour. Chef Jim titled his post "New Zealand", not "Austrarkinfalia" !!!!!!

You lot would steal anything from New Zealand, it's in in your blood- Phar Lap, Pavlova, Anzac bikkies, Crowded House, Keith Urban, Russell Crowe, (...well, you can keep Russell Crowe)....the list is endless. Farkers.

Nice award though, next time I do up a leg I'll make sure it's Australian lamb and put in for it . It'll look good next to the Rugby League World Cup..

- Dave (stepping down off his inferiority complex soapbox...)[/QUOTE]

Dave, Not my fault that when I was a kid everything here was labeled NZ. That was just part of the story. You lot get upset over the smallest things.

And just by chance it happened to be American lamb. I love Lamb no matter where it came from.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 05-28-2010, 08:34 PM   #48
SmokinAussie
somebody shut me the fark up.

Location: Gold Coast, Queensland! (Finally Escaped Melbourne)
Name/Nickname : Bill
Default American Pork and Beans (Using Australian Pork!)

G'day Bruces'

My entry for "Food from a place you'd like to visit" is my Pork and Beans Dish, a well know American comfort food.

I hope I have done it justice... The full thread is here. PLease come and have a look. This dish took a huge amount of effort, but was well worth it.

Just 2 pics for the entry..

Please use the last pic for the vote.

Thanks for looking!

Bill
SmokinAussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:44 PM   #49
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Bill, I don't know what you've been reading, but I've never seen pork and beans look so good. You've obviously made it all wrong.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 08:46 PM   #50
landarc

I did not know there was an award for cooking NZ or OZ lamb. Then again, if I get that award, then my stand on not getting a MOINK certificate will look hollow, as will my streak of getting one vote per Throw Down.

That is a good whack of pork and beans.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 01:42 PM   #51
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JO

Here is my tribute to Louisiana and the Gulf Coast, an area I always wanted to visit.

Creole chicken and sausage with bacon wrapped scallops, salt pork scruncheons and a shrimp cocktail on the side.

Please use last pic ...
Gone brick n mortar :crazy:

Last edited by southernsmoker; 05-29-2010 at 03:08 PM..
southernsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from: --->
Old 05-29-2010, 02:13 PM   #52
Chef Jim
Babbling Farker

Creole style, ummmm. Do you have a degree in plating? You make it look so good.

[FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3][FONT=Tahoma]A veteran is Someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America", for an amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor, and there are far too many people in this country who no longer understand it. Author unknown.[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

[COLOR=Red][COLOR=Black]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
Chef Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 04:22 PM   #53
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

I want to go to Landarc's house. Last year I had the opportunity to meet Bob at the Oinktoberfest in Nor. Cal. I soon thereafter started reading his blog. Let me tell you, unlike some folks that write about BBQ, Bob really knows how to cook also. On his blog I read about Char Sui pork and it got me thinking about my favorite greasy spoon Chinese restaurant growing up. I knew I had to try my hand at homemade Pork Fried Rice. I followed Bobs method for the Char Sui Pork, with a few additions of course. Cooked on the big green egg. The first shot is the Pork diced up and ready for the Wok. Second is the veggies cooking and the last is the final product. Please use the second for the contest.
Thanks again Bob and I will continue following your blog.

NUTZ
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!

Last edited by yelonutz; 04-21-2011 at 01:47 AM..
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 05:48 PM   #54
ecode
On the road to being a farker

Default I think I'd like to (re)visit Greece

First of all, I'd like you to sit back and relax. I'm going to take you on a little trip. To get the mood right, click on the following link, turn your speaker volume up, then come right back!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOfZHNHXGIQ

There, that's better now. Many years ago, I spent about six months working in a remote village on the island of Crete. The landscape was amazing and the water was an unbelievable turquoise. I always wanted to go back. Many years later, I took my family to Rhodes. It's not the same as Crete, but it has other charms.

I wanted my family to walk through the narrow alleyways

discover beautiful Mediterranean houses

and come out upon quaint squares

and find other unexpected pleasures

and of course my girls had to have some souvlaki!

I thought that would be nice to make for this throwdown. Rather than the traditional lamb, I went with chicken. I wish I had known about the Australian Tick before I went shopping. I marinated some boneless skinless thighs in lemon juice and olive oil and added oregano, parsley, fresh garlic and onions. I grilled these

and also heated up my pita bread

but also had to make some fresh bread for dipping in the tzatziki.

I served this with a Greek salad and some Ouzo (for my Husband). Greek souvlaki is served with fries in the sandwich. I fried up some in olive oil for an authentic taste.

Almost as good as being there....
ecode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:15 PM   #55
landarc

Wow, this is gonna be another tough one to vote on.

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 06:16 PM   #56
SmokinAussie

Wholy smokes Ecode... you sure know how to set the mood!

Does your husband know how lucky he is????
Old 05-29-2010, 07:46 PM   #57
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)
Default Northern Spain

I decided to visit Spain, specifically mountainous northern Spain. It's like a second home for us and it has two of my favorite restaurants. El Oso is located in the village of Cosgaya and is in a beautiful stone building

I always order Cocido Lebaniego.

It's not much to look at, but it is delicious. It's base is the locally grown garbanzos and there are all kinds of meaty treats mixed in. A trip to Spain is not complete without it. My other favorite restaurant is actually a bar in Santander called Meson Rampalay. I love their tapas. I believe it is as authentic as you can get, nothing fancy, just good food. Spain is quite urbanized and only a small percentage BBQ, so I had to make some modifications to the typical Spanish recipes. Fried chorizo is one of the most common tapas and our fridge is well stocked.

Another favorite of mine is ribs cooked in garlic and parsley. These are not usually BBQ'ed, so I had to modify the recipe. These are made with cut spare ribs

I seasoned these with salt, pepper and olive oil, then smoked them for two hours. Afterward, garlic, parsley and salt are crushed together

and applied.

[I cannot look at that pic without salivating] I then foiled these for about an hour and finished them on the grill. Another racion is shrimp marinated with garlic and lemon juice. I wrapped these in smoked (then roasted) red pepper:

The grill is not the traditional method for cooking tapas, but it worked great.

While tapas are finger food at the bar, raciones are slightly larger helpings:

I served these with olives stuffed with anchovies and some pacharan. [Chris, please use this next pic]

I wish I had some Chocolate con Churros, but I'm sure my girls would have eaten them all.

(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2010, 11:01 PM   #58
bigabyte

Wow! The guantlet has been thrown down! My poor ribs are aching from the beating they are about to receive!
Certified MOINK Baller & IMBAS Certified MOINK Ball Judge #0003 - Are you MOINK Certified?
Sole recipient of the Silverfinger and fingerlickin Awards!

Don't forget about the Throwdown Thingies!
The Secret Squirrel Society doesn't exist - Zero Club

Duh.
bigabyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:35 AM   #59
SmokinAussie

Oh Yeah... gonna be a tough one now!
Old 05-30-2010, 06:21 AM   #60
southernsmoker
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : JO

Gore,
Excellent representation, nicely done as usual. ole!.
Gone brick n mortar :crazy:

Last edited by southernsmoker; 05-30-2010 at 07:14 AM..
southernsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Frequent Flyer Food, Lost in space!, Throwdown, Throwdown Entry Thread, Tube Steak Riblets....