• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Boy Scout Trash Can Turkey

I am a big fan of trash can turkey, and yours looks great. Maybe it is just the angle of the picture, but it looks like you are using too much charcoal. At some point, you are hitting a point of diminishing return on the internal can temps.

If you put a tube or bunt cake pan with carrot onion & celery over the stake first you don't need the foil on the ground and you catch all the"Good Stuff" for your gravy at least that is how I do it. all you need to remember is 20-20-20- 2 hrs. 20lb bird 20 lb charcoal 20 gal WELL BURNED OUT trashcan

I am a big fan of trash can turkey, and yours looks great. Maybe it is just the angle of the picture, but it looks like you are using too much charcoal. At some point, you are hitting a point of diminishing return on the internal can temps.
Umm, your right!
Pictures are all from last weeks cook, except for the bird, that was from 2 years ago. (Last year Sandy cancelled it) This years was a little overdone.
I was trying to figure a way to monitor internal bird temperature. Any ideas?

No way to monitor internal temps. If you are pre-lighting your charcoal and the birds are completely thawed, I would trust Bludawg's time/lb rates. I do not pre-burn my charcoal (I put a couple of starter cubes around and light them) as I like to load as much on top of the can as physically possible and that is a whole lot easier when it isn't lit. I also like to make sure that charcoal gaps around the edges are minimized before lighting. For that reason (and because I am notorious for starting with still partially frozen turkeys) my cooks are longer. As for amount. I just use one full KBB bag for a large turkey (15+ lbs). The 16.7 bags work fine or I save some charcoal from a 20 lb.

I would thing with all the coals around the can, it would melt the wire.
It gets HOT!
Just be creative...if you lay it on the ground then cover it up with dirt before the coals go down. You could also drill a small hole in the can and run it out through the air so it's not laying in the coals. Be creative:becky:

Awsome cook, nice to see people spending time with there children. Teaching them a good skill and getting to eat at the same time. I learned to cook in the dutch ovens in the boy scouts. Thank you

Back