MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:17 PM   #1
markrvp
Full Fledged Farker

Default Jambo Backyard vs. Horizon Marshal vs. Lang

I am long-term planning for an offset smoker to use for my own enjoyment. I'm not competing and likely won't move it much if at all. I've looked at offset smokers at sporting good stores that are in the $400-$600 range and I just feel they aren't the quality that I would enjoy. It seems around $2000 is the entry point for an offset smoker with a 24" diameter chamber that's 4' long or so. I want something made of heavy enough steel and air tight so that regulating temp won't be that tough.

I have suspected (hoped) that the Jambo Backyard smoker at $1895 would be a really high quality smoker. That's the base price... what options are available and what realistically is the "out the door" price? I've also seen the Horizon Marshal Backyard which has roughly the same measurements. The Lang 48" patio is the same size chamber, but with reverse flow and a smaller firebox.

Is there another smoker I should be considering? Anybody know if one of these is more fuel efficient than the other or easier to control temps? What other considerations am I missing?

Thanks from:--->

Old 08-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #2
gtr
somebody shut me the fark up.

First thing that comes to mind is shipping cost. You're in Texas, and there are quite a few great pit makers in Texas, so no need to pay to have something shipped in from another state IMO. From what I understand, Horizons and Langs are mighty fine, but in your state you have Jambo, Klose, Gator, Pitmaker, and others.

Your idea of spending the $$ it takes to get heavy metal is a very good one btw - you will not regret that decision.
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #3
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Jambo is by far the best stick burner made, IMHO. There really are no options to a backyard so the base price is the out the door price.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
Wneill20
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
Jambo is by far the best stick burner made, IMHO. There really are no options to a backyard so the base price is the out the door price.
X 2 I love mine

Old 08-09-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
TheBill
Knows what a fatty is.

I have a yoder whichita which is very similar to the horizon.

I LOVE IT...and would highly recommend it.

I would recommend the tuning plate or whatever they call it...it works great and eliminates the hot spots.
TheBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
trufunk
Full Fledged Farker

love my Gator!! Can't go wrong with any mentioned earlier.
trufunk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #7
Cobra7
Knows what a fatty is.

Lang
Cobra7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 07:45 PM   #8
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

Backwoods G2 Party!!!!
Smokesignalsfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Packmanjim
Full Fledged Farker

I have a Lang 36" with a 30" char grill and a warmer box above the fire box. The char grill is great with removable tuning plates. The smoker and char grill are all in the same tube which makes it easy to maintain side to side constant temps in the smoker side by building a small fire in the char grill using 1/2 a chimney of lump. The warmer box above the fire box runs about 25-50 degrees cooler and is great for smoking brauts, sausage, salmon, boudin, or cooking your baked beans. it has baffles you can open to redirect the smoke through the box if needed. The warmer box helps by insulating the top of my firebox too and is wood saver. All the cookers mentioned are quality pits but the reverse flow with the welded plate underneath is great for butts, ribs, any pork item that cooks a lot of fat off. $1899 with stainless steel racks. The bad part was the $500 freight from the coast of Georgia to Northwest Arkansas. I'm just a back yard guy but this cooker will last me the rest of my life. I've wore out a couple of webber bullets and an offset POS type smoker. I wish I had purchased a quality pit years ago.
Smokey Joe mini
Smokin Cajun Gasser
Packmanjim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 08:16 PM   #10
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

I would also say check out a Yoder Wichita 20" or Kingman 24".

Old 08-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
LTG
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : Billy Bob

I loved my Jambo when I had it. Jambo and Lang aren't in the same league build quality wise. Insulated firebox is standard on little Jambo. As far as options, you would want the 3rd upper rack on the side closest to the stack and casters to move it(those might be standard). I've never seen a Horizon or a Gator up close so I can't comment on those.

Old 08-09-2013, 10:43 PM   #12
shirknwrk
is one Smokin' Farker

http://www.peoriacookers.com/custom-...rd-cooker.html
shirknwrk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 10:53 PM   #13
Limp Brisket
Full Fledged Farker

Get the Lang.

Old 08-10-2013, 01:04 AM   #14
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

UUUUUhhhhh I am going to Granbury next weekend to pick up my first new smoker. I can not imagine not calling Billy with R and O smokers if I lived in the same town.

Top notch build quality and right down the street. Jambo would be my second choice, all things considered.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2013, 06:27 AM   #15
Nutz4bbq
On the road to being a farker

A Lang 48 deluxe trailer would fit your needs and you will never have to buy another smoker ever!!

You'll be glad you did
Nutz4bbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->