MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #226
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

I've said it before, but I'll say it again. It's truly amazing that so many people will spend $500-$1000 of mental energy/gymnastics on a $225 decision. I sometimes imagine a dude standing in the grocery store calling several other stores to see if they can save a quarter on a loaf of bread.

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 05:12 PM   #227
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatioDaddio View Post
I've said it before, but I'll say it again. It's truly amazing that so many people will spend $500-$1000 of mental energy/gymnastics on a $225 decision. I sometimes imagine a dude standing in the grocery store calling several other stores to see if they can save a quarter on a loaf of bread.

John
No truer words have been spoken. It is the the number one reason to buy a PBC, BDS, D-Meat Barrel, Big Poppa Smoker; that someone else has done the big thinking or labor for you.

and no.... its too easy....

No..... I swore I wouldn't.............

its also a good reason to buy one of these...

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 08:14 PM   #228
Ijustwantedtolookatpics
On the road to being a farker

Never thought I'd see a real doll on a BBQ forum!
Weber gasser
Kinda-fast Grey Thermapen
Ijustwantedtolookatpics is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 08:41 PM   #229
Beanbuzz
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Received my PBC yesterday and fired it up today. I guess I'll be one of the first to say I was pretty much disappointed with this thing. Hung a rack of baby backs and later added a whole chicken cut in half. Total cook time was 4 hrs. for the ribs and 2.5 hrs. for the chicken, as per instructions.
The ribs were way overcooked and dry with the end closest to the coals basically inedible. The chicken was not done . I had to part the chicken out and finish some pieces in the oven. I guess I got caught in all the hype about this thing ,but now I wish that I had waited to see more opinions.
As for ribs, I'll continue to use the 3.2.1. method on my BGE.

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-06-2013, 09:09 PM   #230
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanbuzz View Post
Received my PBC yesterday and fired it up today. I guess I'll be one of the first to say I was pretty much disappointed with this thing. Hung a rack of baby backs and later added a whole chicken cut in half. Total cook time was 4 hrs. for the ribs and 2.5 hrs. for the chicken, as per instructions.
The ribs were way overcooked and dry with the end closest to the coals basically inedible. The chicken was not done . I had to part the chicken out and finish some pieces in the oven. I guess I got caught in all the hype about this thing ,but now I wish that I had waited to see more opinions.
I am glad you felt so strongly that you signed on for the second time in your life to tell us how you felt. Last time (May)it was the electric shack, right.

The Egg is a keeper.

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2013, 09:21 PM   #231
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanbuzz View Post
Four hours for lionbacks is too long for sure. Remember that in BBQ time is only a guideline. As for the chicken, I have no idea how 2.5 hours wasn't long enough. Large half chickens on mine typically take under two hours. What was the temp in the thigh? In other words, what is your definition of "done"? I go to about 155* in the breast and 165* in the thigh.

John

Old 01-06-2013, 09:29 PM   #232
sparky'
Full Fledged Farker

Half chickens take me a little over one hour. Ribs about two hours.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:54 AM   #233
Meat Man
Full Fledged Farker

The PBC is a nice cooker, it's a small UDS.

Great for small cooks, and ultra portable.

The kids built a UDS using Big Poppas kit. The kit is very high quality, and very easy to assemble about 2 hours.

We liked the hanging aspect of the PBC, so we incorporated into our UDS.

I've cooked on both and the results are very similar. Hanging chickens is great, it's nice to be able to fit so many on a small or large UDS. You'll need to be careful with your large heavy meats, Not a fan of hanging ribs, wasn't impressed with how they turned out. Longer cuts like brisket and ribs get to done close to the fire. We liked the PBC cooks just great and super for transporting and small families. We use the BPS drum all the time. It's more versatile such as, adjustable fire basket height for grilling or BBQ, wider range of cooking temps, more room for larger groups or hungry kids.

Last edited by Meat Man; 01-07-2013 at 03:12 AM..
Meat Man is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-07-2013, 09:25 AM   #234
jrn
Full Fledged Farker

[QUOTE=Meat Man;2319792]The PBC is a nice cooker, it's a small UDS.

I totally agree!
Thanks for the side by side comparisons.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:20 PM   #235
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Yes, that's safe to assume. Again, give Noah a call. It's free and painless, I promise. He's a war veteran (and true hero), but he's gentle.

John
Been trying to ignore this thread for all the obvious reasons.

Still waiting for one to surface in the Houston MSA so I can truly see how different the meat tastes than my drums. But now my interest is truly piqued.

A "hero" you say...
RangerJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-07-2013, 06:22 PM   #236
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post
Been trying to ignore this thread for all the obvious reasons.

Still waiting for one to surface in the Houston MSA so I can truly see how different the meat tastes than my drums. But now my interest is truly piqued.

A "hero" you say...
Yup. Google is your friend.

John

Old 01-07-2013, 06:49 PM   #237
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Yup. Google is your friend.

John
If its on the internet it must be true? I don't Google "hero's" wildman, I've walked among them.

You tossed it out here in a thread about a cooker, I'd expect you to explain.

Or don't...

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #238
Trumpstylz
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJ View Post
If its on the internet it must be true? I don't Google "hero's" wildman, I've walked among them.

You tossed it out here in a thread about a cooker, I'd expect you to explain.

Or don't...
Not sure if he has any ribbons or medals, but if the man's a veteran, I'd say he's a hero. Nuff said.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #239
RangerJ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trumpstylz View Post
Not sure if he has any ribbons or medals, but if the man's a veteran, I'd say he's a hero. Nuff said.
And like the rest of us, probably does not like that term tossed around. Nuff said.

Old 01-07-2013, 06:53 PM   #240
jeffsee
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meat Man View Post
The PBC is a nice cooker, it's a small UDS.

Great for small cooks, and ultra portable.

The kids built a UDS using Big Poppas kit. The kit is very high quality, and very easy to assemble about 2 hours.

We liked the hanging aspect of the PBC, so we incorporated into our UDS.

I've cooked on both and the results are very similar. Hanging chickens is great, it's nice to be able to fit so many on a small or large UDS. You'll need to be careful with your large heavy meats, Not a fan of hanging ribs, wasn't impressed with how they turned out. Longer cuts like brisket and ribs get to done close to the fire. We liked the PBC cooks just great and super for transporting and small families. We use the BPS drum all the time. It's more versatile such as, adjustable fire basket height for grilling or BBQ, wider range of cooking temps, more room for larger groups or hungry kids.
Thanks to your post, I'm going to sell my 18.5" WSM, get the Big Poppa Smoker Kit, get a 55 gallon drum (have a line on a free one) drill the extra 4 holes for rebar, have that former student sandblast and powder coat it, and make the necessary adjustments in the intake to run at the higher temp when hanging.

Thanks for the info.