WSM Arrived and a free 22.5" Kettle! Tri-tip PRON

inv3ctiv3

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I couldn't be more excited, I just got my 18.5" WSM and am gonna do some butts on it this weekend! It does seem too small to do pork spares though...I would have to cut the ribs in half to fit them on the racks (is that a no no?) I usually do St. Louis Style anyway but have never cut the racks in half.....I also scored a free Weber 22.5" Kettle on CL that I am going to use for parts on my UDS.

167762_577007127944_201303364_33222024_2054116_n.jpg

Some chicken and tri tip over mesquite lump charcoal with mesquite wood chunks on the 22.5" Weber Master Touch Kettle that I cooked while building the WSM!

5431014783_4512ab4715_z.jpg

5431622292_618a3f0459_z.jpg

5431014709_670abf5473_z.jpg

Is that.....a.....Gas Grill in the background....... :shock:

Is that.....a.....Gas Grill in the background....... :shock:

It's my parents, I can't BBQ at my apartment so I have to keep all my BBQ's and do all my BBQing at my parents :( Such a pain in the ass. Trust me I don't even look at that gasser haha.

You absolutely don't and, in my very humble opinion, should not cut your spares in half. You can fit a lot of meat in there with some creativity.

I haven't used it yet, but I just recently got a rack for ribs. It's something that Harry Soo does and results in more even cooking and color. I typically limit my rib cooks to 2 slabs per grid. I do find using the bottom grid for ribs to be an epic pain in the ass. I expect to be able to fit 6 slabs per grid with the new rack.

Trust me I don't even look at that gasser haha.

I love my gas grill and use it all the time. Nothing wrong with what you're cooking on as long as you're cooking.

Congrats on the new WSM and can't beat a FREE kettle. Way to go! :clap2:

Congrates on the WSM :clap2:

You absolutely don't and, in my very humble opinion, should not cut your spares in half. You can fit a lot of meat in there with some creativity.

Why shouldn't you cut your spares? I've done it on occasion, no problems here.

what! you're gonna scrap that gorgeous kettle! wait to find a beat up one, just my .02$

No no I am gonna use the black one behind the WSM for parts maybe, one of the leg supports broke off the bottom part so it needs to be re-welded (that's why it was free). The green master touch is staying in tact for sure.

Congrats on the new toy!

I would have to cut the ribs in half to fit them on the racks (is that a no no?) I usually do St. Louis Style anyway but have never cut the racks in half....

I don't have a WSM, but have seen guys roll the racks up and cook 'em that way. Don't necessarily think that cutting rib racks is a BAD thing, but I know what you mean about not wanting to do it. I used to have to do that with my ECB before I built the UDS. Try to roll them up and stand them on end and see if that works for you.

I have easily fit three racks of UNTRIMMED spares ROLLED on just the top rack.

DSC_0280.jpg

The photo sucked and I dropped the one rack that is "damaged" but they turned out great.

I would probably trim them next time though because it would give it a more stable foundation.

ALSO You can just scrunch up the rack of spares to make two fit while laying flat on the rack but rolling was really not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. IF you are going to sauce the ribs then you can stack them (lay one rack down then another then another) and rotate throughout the cook to help with even cooking, but the racks can turn an odd grey color. This will NOT be an issue if you sauce though :thumb:

EDIT: That is NOT my barbeque sauce! My girlfriend's mom owns a catering company and uses that stuff(The party I cooked for was held at her house). I make my own sauce thank you :p

i tried rib holders and such, didn't like it. now i just stack them offset a bit and just rotate them every 1/2 hour or so. come out just fine.

A good day for you! Enjoy your new cooker, looks like you do a fine job of cooking.

I can squeeze 4 per rack with holders. Although I did some this weekend that were monsters compared to these I just turned them in a bit.
attachment.php

Get that bullet shaped object dirty. Using a rib rack might help. I have a 22.5 WSM. It will hold 4 racks of baby backs on each grill.

I was also given a Brinkmann 852-7080-V smoker today! Not sure what to do with it, it's in great condition but are these any good? They seem really cheap....

I have easily fit three racks of UNTRIMMED spares ROLLED on just the top rack.

DSC_0280.jpg

The photo sucked and I dropped the one rack that is "damaged" but they turned out great.

I would probably trim them next time though because it would give it a more stable foundation.

ALSO You can just scrunch up the rack of spares to make two fit while laying flat on the rack but rolling was really not as difficult as I thought it was going to be. IF you are going to sauce the ribs then you can stack them (lay one rack down then another then another) and rotate throughout the cook to help with even cooking, but the racks can turn an odd grey color. This will NOT be an issue if you sauce though :thumb:

EDIT: That is NOT my barbeque sauce! My girlfriend's mom owns a catering company and uses that stuff(The party I cooked for was held at her house). I make my own sauce thank you :p
You know i wondered if you could do that

Back