Packers, etc.

pitbossJB

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This may sound like a dumb question, but here goes. When you see packers and other cryo packed meats in the store have they ever been frozen or only refrigerated? How are they shipped? Thanks.

If its not straight from the butcher I would say its been froze at some point.

Have fun and happy smoking
BBQ UP

Pretty sure they come frozen.

Sent from my GT-P7310 using Tapatalk 2

Unless it specifically states that is has never been frozen, it is impossible to tell. The likelihood is that it has been frozen at some point. But, the fact that the name is cryo-vac should offer some reassurance, that the meat inside an intact cryovac or similar bag will be fine.

I am almost... i mean almost positive they are frozen and merely thaw in the case. I have felt many cryovac briskets that were still half frozen from multiple retailers. Though it is said that freezing may increase tenderness... (I don't agree, I think quality of the cow gives you tenderness) but it might have a smidgen of truth.

I am almost... i mean almost positive they are frozen and merely thaw in the case. I have felt many cryovac briskets that were still half frozen from multiple retailers. Though it is said that freezing may increase tenderness... (I don't agree, I think quality of the cow gives you tenderness) but it might have a smidgen of truth.

Freezing does create some additional tenderness in the meat, not as much as the quality of the meat, but it does provide some. When the juices freeze they expand and, when thawed, degrade the cell structure to some point allowing for the transfer of fluids throughout the meat.

This is my limited knowledge so if I am wrong please correct me on this one. Thank you

Hmm I wonder if you got one still frozen, then parked your 4wd truck on it, and let it thaw under the wheel, if that would tenderize it :) ??

Bill

Back