Eggers...Are you satisfied with your smoke profile?

rdsbucks

Reaction score
Does your BGE or other Kamado make your food taste smokey enough for you?

I just made some pork spares on my small BGE on Saturday. Seasoned salt and pepper over a plate setter with Central Market lump and oak chunks.

I messed up the bark a bit with my fork, but these were goooood. Nice clean smoke. Really took some time getting things cleanly up to temp, and it paid off.

Attachments

• PXL_20210822_234511664.jpg
    PXL_20210822_234511664.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 285
I never was 100% satisfied with smoke on my BGE's, no matter how many wood chunks I added. One of my reasons for changing up to a gravity fed cooker. I much prefer my ribs, butts and briskets off my Stumps smoker. My product now is much better with a noticeable difference in flavor and smoke ring.

I still use my eggs for grilling and smaller cooks with chicken.

Kamados are far too efficient and have little convection; bark and smoke profile tend to be lighter and less pronounced. Which is a good thing if that's your preference

Does your BGE or other Kamado make your food taste smokey enough for you?

Sure it does, but you have to re-think how you use flavor wood in a kamado because they don't need much draft and have very efficient burn characteristics. Using fist sized chunks doesn't work real well in a kamado if you have a barbecue fire (250° to 275°). They do work with a grilling fire, but even then.... 1/2 chunks work better.

For a barbecue fire, add your lump in layers, then sprinkle pellets or chips across each layer along with small splits. And by small splits I mean finger size up to 1". Start a center fire about the size of a baseball, then catch your target temp on the way up. Now for the next 15 or so hours, as your fire gradually grows it finds pellets and an occasional small split. This gentle but continuous smoke will do the trick.

EnKlAyD.jpg

fMTywzw.jpg

You can easily get 6 or 8 small splits from a chunk this size.

GkJ4oJU.jpg

The Egg's will allow you to cook a great product. It won't be the same taste profile as a stick burner, but I still believe it's better than a pellet.

You can manage your taste profile with wood chunks as you see fit.

As a new Egg owner I am very pleased with the smoke profile I am getting while using 3rdeye's method.

I am very seriously thinking of getting rid of the good one heritage and have the egg take it's place.

Guys I am extremely grateful for your input. Having had pellets for so long in between having a PBC, this question is on my mind.

I use wood chips instead of chunks in mine because I feel like I get a better, cleaner smoke from it. I've used chunks in the past and I think they kind of smolder at the temps you'd normally be making barbecue at. I also disperse them evenly throughout the charcoal bowl, mixed below to above the surface. Because they're so efficient and don't have a lot of airflow, it can burn in one spot for hours, and if that spot doesn't have a wood chunk there, you're going quite a while without getting any smoke from wood at all.

I use a mixture of wood chips and chunks, smoke has never been an issue and everything is always juicy.

One technique I like with my Primo is to preheat it up to 200, then put on the meat and raise the Guru to 225, then every hour I bump up the temp 10 degrees until I get to 275. I find I get a cleaner and better smoke as it has to work a bit to increase the temps.

I have been using chips or splitting large chunks into several smaller pieces. Seems to provide a cleaner more consistent smoke.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

I love my Primo. Not as thick a flavor as my drum but in a way it’s more refined. I have also learned to mix my wood evenly with my lump. I add in layers. For a long cook I’ll use about 8 chunks it keeps the smoke going throughout. I may have to try and add some pellets that’s a good idea.

I have a 23” Komodo Kamado and for me personally you dont get the smoke flavor on large cuts of meat (butts/brisket). Also they are too efficient as others have said. I have however won multiple awards by using it for ribs and chicken. For large cuts you can always use a pellet tube to supplement

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Extremely happy but my wife likes light smoke so it's easy to cook for her. Usually only a couple of chunks of pecan wood are used.

Remember 4 to 5 years ago, someone here mentioned to get even better smoke, you need to ruin a cast iron pan/dutch oven. First you'll need to drill 3 holes in the bottom of the pan. Then place on top of a layer of lump, add your wood chunks and cover. When you're done with the cook, you'll also have some new lump you can use for the next cook.

Never tried it, so don't know how well the method actually works.

I never was 100% satisfied with smoke on my BGE's, no matter how many wood chunks I added. One of my reasons for changing up to a gravity fed cooker. I much prefer my ribs, butts and briskets off my Stumps smoker. My product now is much better with a noticeable difference in flavor and smoke ring.

I still use my eggs for grilling and smaller cooks with chicken.
Which gravity fed do you have? Is it less efficient than a large kamado?

I ask because I've been confused about this for a while. People say kamados are too choked off and produce poor smoke. Almost no one says this about gravity fed, however most GF are highly insulated and people brag that they can run forever on a single chimney of coals. What am I missing? I am struggling to see how this is any different (smoke-wise) from a kamado!

Efficiency wise I expect GF to be similar to kamado. Benefit of Gf for smoking is you can always fill up shoot essentially never running out of coals. Hard to do that in kamado

Efficiency wise I expect GF to be similar to kamado. Benefit of Gf for smoking is you can always fill up shoot essentially never running out of coals. Hard to do that in kamado

GF’s are not quite as efficient as a kamado. Bigger chamber to keep heated and a bit more airflow going through them. Not anything like a offset, but still more airflow than a kamado. This is for makers like Stumps, Assassin, Southern Q, Deep South etc. The Masterbuilt and Chargrillers being not insulated are less efficient

Back