• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Grilled or Pan-fried burgers and a question

chambersuac

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
A week or two ago, someone (Barfunk? Norco?) said that they didn't comment on burger threads often because they prefered burgers cooked old school style (griddle/cast iron/something like that) - and yes, I'm paraphrasing, so don't get mad if I'm misquoting.

Anyway, I saw the light in that thread. Tonight I made burgers on the grill, with a bit of Mesquite. I put the patties in a scorching hot cast iron skillet so it could both get the smoke and the carmelization - at the last moment, I pulled it off and put it right over the open flame. Best of both worlds!!! But, I didn't take pix, so I know it didn't happen. I'm just saying if it DID happen, they were GREAT!!! Thanks to whomever made that comment a couple of weeks ago. :-D

Also, a neighbor gave me some Italian Sausage, that I smoked a while and finished on the grill. I LOVE spicy I.S., but this is sweet. What to do with it? ABTs? It seems to be very good quality sausage from a specialty butcher in Chicago...anybody passing through Manito the next 36 hours? Or anyone with advice?

Thanks,
Dan

• 2 large sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
  • 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 2 bell peppers (any color), chopped
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • Salt and pepper
  • Green salsa, for serving
Spice it up
Season the hash with sweet smoked paprika or a chopped fresh herb like thyme.

Directions:

1. In a medium pot of boiling, salted water, cook the sweet potatoes until almost tender, about 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
  2. In a large nonstick skillet, cook the sausage over medium heat until browned and crumbly, about 10 minutes; transfer with a slotted spoon to paper towels to drain.
  3. Heat the oil in the skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell peppers, onion and garlic and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the sausage, cumin and sweet potatoes and cook for 5 minutes more. Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve with green salsa.

...ok, let me get back to the burgers....I have to agree a bit, on certain occassions. I cook for myself my beef alot. My girl just dont eat beef. I love a burger, and I have no problem firing up my stove top range and frying me up some burger. I still do alot of the same tricks i do outside, and heck yeah outside is better! but i get lazy...to much smoke sometimes. I like your outdoor/indoor style idea also.

I have a small griddle that I can use inside and it functions a lot like a commercial flat top, makes the best burgers, especially if you cook em by putting the ball on the griddle and them smash them. I do like to cook them on the Weber as well, just different.

I like sweet Italian sausage, even in sandwiches, or sliced as a cold cut.

Back