MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Default You people rub me the wrong way.

Ok, well..... You really "rub" me the right way.

I'm teasing. I figured a catchy thread title would get more attention.
But today I paid my dues for the first time. Sooo that means y'all won't be able to git rid of me for awhile. The advice I've gotten here has saved me $25 in burnt, nasty, wasted food.

PLUS.....the food I've made, due to the help from you guys....has been fantastic. I've gotten a lot of complements from the smoked meat and other goodies I've made.

I mean, where else would I have learned about Fatties, scotch eggs, and ABTs?

Speaking of "rubbing".....
Based on the high recommendations I've heard here, I've decided to buy some of the rubs I've been hearing about.
Yesterday, I received those rubs. I chose them partially due to >> THIS THREAD <<.
This weekend I'll be firing up the smoker and trying some of these commercial rubs.

Who knows.... Maybe I'll like the ones you guys made, maybe I'll like the ones I make. Either way, regardless of the outcome, the food will be cooked based on the knowledge I've gained by joining here.

Thank you guys (and gals).

Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 03-14-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

About the only thing I watch out for in commercial rubs is some are overly salty, and some have MSG. Don't forget about layering two rubs, it's an effective technique.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 08:15 PM   #3
Woodmonkey
Full Fledged Farker

As Thirdeye mentioned many commercial rubs are very salty. I have found over the years when I get some very salty ones I just keep them in a big container and then add other seasonings and have some great seasoned salt over the years.
Woodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
MisterChrister
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Cheers!

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-14-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
IamMadMan

Bob,

I'm glad you have attempted to expand your horizons and try some commercial rubs.

Some of these have been perfected over a very long period of time and are great tools for full flavor.

Let us know what you think of them and share your thoughts and findings with us....

Last edited by IamMadMan; 03-14-2013 at 08:59 PM..
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Congrats on taking "the leap", worth every penny and then some for sure!

That "rub" in the glass looks intriguing.

Enjoy the new rubs.

KC

Old 03-14-2013, 08:25 PM   #7
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Get to cooking!

Old 03-14-2013, 08:38 PM   #8
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodmonkey View Post
As Thirdeye mentioned many commercial rubs are very salty. I have found over the years when I get some very salty ones I just keep them in a big container and then add other seasonings and have some great seasoned salt over the years.
Aren't you at the pre-party?? Or are you saving yourself for the main event?

Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"

“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln

Old 03-14-2013, 08:44 PM   #9
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

What brand is the one on the left?

Old 03-14-2013, 08:50 PM   #10
thirdeye

Bob,

Some the outlaws on Mrs ~t~'s side of the family are from St Louis, I recall all their cooking being sauce heavy, mostly with Maulls brand. What I liked the best were all the Italian deli's and the German meat markets. We would always bring sausages or nice pork chops to the family backyard events.

Old 03-14-2013, 09:28 PM   #11
Neonnblack
Full Fledged Farker

....what do you mean, "you people"?
Neonnblack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #12
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neonnblack View Post
....what do you mean, "you people"?
You know..... "Y'all"....

The rub on the left is Makers Mark. It's an internal tummy rub.

Thirdeye....I's so tired of the Maulls BBQ sauce. Ugh....
It's the standard issue St. Louis sauce. I guess it's not bad, it's just that it's all I had growing up. But now that y'all ("you people") have opened my eyes. Amen.

Old 03-15-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

I dont care for Maulls at all. Been here my whole life. I know some people love it.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:25 PM   #14
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

I know what you mean Pappy. It's not that it's "bad", (assuming you're a sauce kind person), it's just that when it's all you've known, then you stumble on a place like this that expands your horizons, then you begin to see what the world is all about.

By the way, I'd like to say that in my twisted sense of humor, I may have offended some folks with the whole "you people rub me the wrong way". With so many tongue in cheek ways to use the word "butt" and "rub" as there are, it's hard to come up with something new. I meant no harm. After all, since I paid my yearly due, then technically I am now "one of you people".
It was my attempt at an eye catcher of a title.

My original plan with the rubs was to do the smoke tomorrow, but I bought the butts on the way home tonight. The family asked if there was any particular reason I was waiting until tomorrow to smoke. Since I couldn't give a good reason, I fired up the smoker (WSM 22.5) and we're doing our 2nd overnight cook right now. Since the first cook ended with freezing rain on the WSM, tonight should be much better since it's near 70 outside.

I've only got two butts, so unfortunately, one of the rubs will have to wait until the next smoke. That would be The Money Rub from BPS.

On the left (marked with a stick) is the 3 Eyz
On the right is the Simply Marvelous.
Of course, a nekkid fattie in the middle.

I thought I'd use the bamboo stick to mark the 3 Eyz rub, because of the stick in the eye, and that's why the pig has a patch over one eye.
Oh well, I thought it was cute.

Here's the pron. More in the am. Have a good evening!
By the way, these butt are more than 8 pounds each. The largest I've ever seen.

Old 03-18-2013, 04:14 PM   #15
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Just a quick update...a couple of you asked for my opinion of the rubs, so here's the familys thoughts.
The 3 Eyz and the Simply Marvelous are both excellent. I'll be buying them both again.
I couldn't get anybody to give an opinion of one being better than the other, after several nibbles, side by side of the butts when they came out of the cooler.