MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 10-20-2011, 10:37 PM   #1
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Default I Might Try Myron Mixon's Brisket Method.

His method only smokes the brisket for maybe 5 or 6 hours. Then he takes it out and wraps the whole pan in a blanket for 3 or 4 hours. He also likes to inject the hell outta everything. I haven't smoked a brisket in quite some time. If I do this it'll be on my Son's NB offset. Has anyone tried MM's method?
Wesman61 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 05:59 AM   #2
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

Myron's method is "hot and fast". If you do a search for hot and fast brisket, you'll find a million threads on the subject.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
[URL="http://www.facebook.com/yesdearbbq"]Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook[/URL]
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and [URL="https://www.atlantabbqstore.com/"]The Atlanta BBQ store[/URL]
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 10-21-2011, 06:15 AM   #3
southernstyle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
Myron's method is "hot and fast". If you do a search for hot and fast brisket, you'll find a million threads on the subject.

yea.his method is real hot. his total time is about 6 hrs. at a contest he starts at 4 am and pulls at 10 am with a couple hrs of rest

Old 10-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #4
smokeyw
is One Chatty Farker

Hot and fast works well with brisket

Old 10-21-2011, 08:12 AM   #5
btcg
Babbling Farker

H&F works well.

But I still prefer L&S... and I say that as a grad of JOS.

Old 10-21-2011, 10:05 AM   #6
speedrcer1
is One Chatty Farker

Very well laid out in Myron's book.

That being said, I did try it. And did not like the results. Tough and not as flavorful in my opinion.
Member Purple Pork Masters Team (Team on Vacation)
Bubba-Keg [SIZE=3][FONT=Calibri][/FONT][/SIZE]
"New" 2000 Traeger BBQ100
KCBS 54236, Certified KCBS judge
Certified MOINK Baller
Super-Fast, Super-Non Stealthy ORANGE Themapen RIP. Now Yellow. Orange color retired.
speedrcer1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Well I hate to waste a good piece of meat. I have a Traeger for l&S but was planning to use the offset. I guess I'll have to think about it.

Old 10-21-2011, 02:10 PM   #8
speers90
is One Chatty Farker

Give it a try, I had great results with hot and fast brisket last weekend. My suggestion would be to follow Pitmaster T's cooking recommendations EXACTLY as he has so graciously posted them on this site! Use an internal thermometer only as a tool to determine when to start checking for doneness via the probe test.

I started checking mine for doneness at 185, but it wasn't until about 195 that it was probe tender.

The Beast: 500 Gallon Homemade Reverse Flow
[url]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=187401[/url]
Weber 22"
Cajun Fryer FF2

Last edited by speers90; 10-21-2011 at 02:11 PM.. Reason: typo
speers90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-2011, 04:09 PM   #9
Wesman61
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by speers90 View Post
Give it a try, I had great results with hot and fast brisket last weekend. My suggestion would be to follow Pitmaster T's cooking recommendations EXACTLY as he has so graciously posted them on this site! Use an internal thermometer only as a tool to determine when to start checking for doneness via the probe test.

I started checking mine for doneness at 185, but it wasn't until about 195 that it was probe tender.
I think the book says to pull at 205. I may go ahead anyway. I need to run by Cash & Carry to price brisket.

Old 10-21-2011, 08:19 PM   #10
MilitantSquatter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesman61 View Post
I think the book says to pull at 205. I may go ahead anyway. I need to run by Cash & Carry to price brisket.
Go for it and try it out...

however, be careful about following a book/recipe word for word. Remember, the book needs to be written for those who are clueless as well.

205 or may not be right....better to use your own good judgement on when it's done...
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote