MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-07-2013, 12:31 PM   #61
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob in St. Louis View Post
No....I didn't see that.
The spices were $34(ish) and the shipping was another $10.

EDIT: In hindsight, I could have bought another six or eight dollar shaker and been about even. crap.
Or the chicken rub! Give them a call, they should be in.

Thanks from:--->

Old 03-07-2013, 12:34 PM   #62
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Nah...I hate to bother people with my dumbassity.
Lesson learned. I'll take advantage of it next time.
Besides....I listen to people bitch about what they're entitled to all day long. I'm not going to be one of those. It's all good.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #63
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Nah...I hate to bother people with my dumbassity.
Lesson learned. I'll take advantage of it next time.
Besides....I listen to people bitch about what they're entitled to all day long. I'm not going to be one of those. It's all good.
Bps has some of the best customer service around. I'm sure they wouldn't mind changing your order. It's up to you but they are pretty awesome.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:41 PM   #64
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offthehook View Post
Bps has some of the best customer service around. I'm sure they wouldn't mind changing your order. It's up to you but they are pretty awesome.
BPS would be happy to work with you...

You could turn that shipping money into another rub..

Glad you tried the rubs, you enjoy the profiles. Keep us posted.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-07-2013, 02:56 PM   #65
Bob in St. Louis
Babbling Farker

Thanks dudes. But no, I'm good with it. I don't have the time to call them and get it straightened out. Most of my forum time is while I'm on the phone here at work, or during down time. Taking the time for a personal call is a rarity. I can surf the web all day, but phone calls are near impossible.

It's only a few dollars, I'm cool with it.
I'll let y'all know how they turn out.
Bob in St. Louis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 03:10 PM   #66
tduffy
is One Chatty Farker

I dont use commercial rubs. I have made my own from reading others recipes on the internet and tweaking it to my liking. I won a local rib competition with it so it must not be too bad.

Old 03-07-2013, 04:56 PM   #67
AZScott
Take a breath!

I've always been a big believer in commercial rubs for what we do at comps due to consistency of the product. I will say that recently one rub I use along with one sauce I use either had miserable quality control or they changed their recipe. The rub had significantly more chili powder which gave it a different mouth feel (opposed to sugar that wouldn't give the gritty / powdery mouth feel) and the viscosity of the sauce was equal to what I would use in a comp but that meant that I couldn't add my other items so it affected the taste and sheen. Ah well. Since then, I have been working on my own.

Old 03-07-2013, 05:17 PM   #68
HankB
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
"No", for two reasons.
#1 - I've already "pushed the button"
#2 - I spent $45 (with shipping). I don't think buying more will pass the WAF.

Free shipping on (IIRC) $39 product. You could add something and probably pay less. Contact them and see if they can modify the order (if they haven't already shipped.)

Old 03-07-2013, 07:02 PM   #69
Rickybobby83
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Rickybobby83
Default My lesson Learned in BBQ Rubs Home made vs Commercially made

Good stuff. A lot of valid points, but for me, I like the DIY method as I ave a greater sense of satisfaction and pride when I'm done.

Actually picked up a gig that has some potential due to making my own recipe, but getting in to the bulk production is where it becomes a science.

Local joint in town here that was actually on Diners and Dives, known as the Woodshop actually makes their own rub and prepped their own cuts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Rickybobby83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #70
jrbBBQ
Full Fledged Farker

I normally make my own rubs as well, but it doesn't hurt to try out some commercial stuff. I made an order earlier this week from BPS for SM Peppered Cow, Money Rub, Happy Ending and SYD Chicken Rub. I do ok with my own rubs.. I usually get a call in every contest I enter, but I like to try other flavors as well, you never know, it could be what I was missing? BTW I made sure my order was just over $40 for the free shipping

Old 03-07-2013, 08:23 PM   #71
Offthehook
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrbBBQ View Post
I normally make my own rubs as well, but it doesn't hurt to try out some commercial stuff. I made an order earlier this week from BPS for SM Peppered Cow, Money Rub, Happy Ending and SYD Chicken Rub. I do ok with my own rubs.. I usually get a call in every contest I enter, but I like to try other flavors as well, you never know, it could be what I was missing? BTW I made sure my order was just over $40 for the free shipping
I had the exact same order, let us know how you like them.

Old 03-08-2013, 11:52 AM   #72
Pyrotech
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-Dat View Post
Wouldn't it be safe to say that most of the popular rubs on the market started as homemade? I wouldn't say that the commercial producers used to bring these rubs to market made them any better, just a little more consistent from batch to batch.

Thats the way it worked with me. I made it for myself along with family as gifts, and then took it commercial.
Pyrotech is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-08-2013, 02:44 PM   #73
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

I figure as long as I tried something new and loved it, maybe something else equally good is lingering out there as well????

I just found a link for a sample pack of Oakridge BBQ Rubs for $4.95 with no shipping. For the minimal cost this might be a good way for those new to BBQ to try something different. They are not big packages but it's enough to sample the rubs without a large out of pocket expense.

Here's the link if anyone else wants it...

http://www.oakridgebbq.com/p/products.html

IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote