MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #1
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default I need some KCBS garnish advice/help please.

So I'm doing my first KCBS competition in 2 weeks after doing two MBN comps this year so far. I have read some threads on here in my brief garnish research.

I have a few questions. First is for the KCBS judges out there. Keep in mind I do fully plan to garnish, but in general.............. If you don't garnish does that really matter? Does appearance get knocked if there is no garnish?

Then what is the most simple effective way of picking parsley to put in the box? I've read of people taking hours for each box to make them look perfect. Since I've done well in my first 2 MBN comps I want to take this seriously, but couldn't fathom taking hours to pick parsley.

Finally I know you can use certain lettuce and should I just go this route and what would be the easy way to do lettuce? What lettuce can you use?
Jason TQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
Bigmista

Garnish isn't required in KCBS but unless you have been doing FBA contests and have mastered creating a beautiful box without garnish, I think you will be shooting yourself in the foot if you turn in a box without garnish. Do a search here on the site for turn-in boxes and look at the pictures that so many members have generously shared and try to replicate them. Practice at home before your contest.

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2011, 09:05 PM   #3
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
Garnish isn't required in KCBS but unless you have been doing FBA contests and have mastered creating a beautiful box without garnish, I think you will be shooting yourself in the foot if you turn in a box without garnish. Do a search here on the site for turn-in boxes and look at the pictures that so many members have generously shared and try to replicate them. Practice at home before your contest.

Thanks. I have started to find some good turn in box examples of parsley, but there really aren't examples of how to pick off the parsley. I guess you just pinch the stuff off the end and put it in there.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

Make a parsley bunch in your fingers, trying to keep them around the same level. I hold at the base of the heads then just tear and place in a corner and work out form there. Keep building, don't try and keep every little piece up (it will drive you nuts). Keep working until the box is full and then determine how dense you want it and add more if you want. Make sure to fix the sides and then you should be good.

Hope this helps.

Smoke On Wheels www.smokeonwheels.com

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles
smknwhlswife is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by smknwhlswife View Post
Make a parsley bunch in your fingers, trying to keep them around the same level. I hold at the base of the heads then just tear and place in a corner and work out form there. Keep building, don't try and keep every little piece up (it will drive you nuts). Keep working until the box is full and then determine how dense you want it and add more if you want. Make sure to fix the sides and then you should be good.

Hope this helps.
This is great. So pulling small bunches off vs like pulling off 1 stem at a time. This is exactly the type tips I would have no idea about. I'll be doing some practice boxes this week. Guess I'll have to cook some BBQ.......bummer.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:36 PM   #6
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

Another thing. Try to make sure you put the same shade of color into the box. If for some reason you can't, put the 'bad' shade in the middle where the meat will cover it.

I can do a box in about 10 minutes, just takes practice.

Yoder Cookers YS-640 & YS-480 & YS-1320 / Coming Soon* YS Q-Kitchen with YS-1500, YS-640 & YS-Charcoal Grill/ $25 Hasty-bake Model 410 / Weber Kettles

Old 05-23-2011, 09:46 PM   #7
Jason TQ

Quote:
Another thing. Try to make sure you put the same shade of color into the box. If for some reason you can't, put the 'bad' shade in the middle where the meat will cover it.

I can do a box in about 10 minutes, just takes practice.
Another great tip. Put the bad stuff in the middle :). This really is helpful. 10mins isn't too bad. I'll have to practice of course before I get that good, but just good to know it may not take an hour.

Old 05-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #8
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Fnbish...

Check out http://www.bbqcritic.com/judgemybox.html

Cook submit their box and CBJ, Master Judges and other cooks critique them. There are all different styles of boxes so you can see what folks are turning in. You have no idea how they actually scored, but you can read the comments posted.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/Weber Q1000/Blackstone Camping Griddle/Pit Boss Pro Series 850
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2011, 09:53 PM   #9
smknwhlswife
is One Chatty Farker

And make sure stems are down!

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-23-2011, 09:58 PM   #10
Sledneck
is one Smokin' Farker

http://www.bbqbug.com/forums/bbq-con...rsley-bed.html
The poster does not take any responsibility for any bad feelings or sense of exclusion that the reader of this post may have-whether real or imagined. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster of this thread would like to also remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.[/B][/COLOR][/B]
Sledneck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2011, 10:19 PM   #11
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sledneck View Post

nice tip...

but tell the poor fella how YOU do it!

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #12
chromesporty
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
And make sure stems are down!
That's a mighty handy tip for us Aggies. Last time I was installing turf in the yard, the neighbors kept yellin' "green side up!" (That's for you, Jorge)

New R&O smoker - Flaco
Battle tested WSM - R2D2
chromesporty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2011, 02:27 AM   #13
Brewer
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Fnbish...

Check out http://www.bbqcritic.com/judgemybox.html

Cook submit their box and CBJ, Master Judges and other cooks critique them. There are all different styles of boxes so you can see what folks are turning in. You have no idea how they actually scored, but you can read the comments posted.
I love it... They could call it "rate my box"
KCBS & PNWBA Member, PNWBA CBJ
Superior SS-2
Backwoods Fatboy
Primo XL
Weber Ranch Kettle
Brewer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2011, 07:43 AM   #14
Jason TQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewer View Post