MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #1
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Default "Big Red" Kamado Kooker at Menards

I called my local Menards to find out if they were going to be selling the Big Steel Kegs again this year. The dude said nope, but he did have 3 Big Red Kamado Kookers for $348.00

I have a large BGE and am working up plans for a Wilber style brick oven/smoker for our cabin. But since the brick oven is likely going to take me a summer or two to complete I wanted something like an egg without spending egg type money.

My wife was on board with the idea and liked the fact that it was cheaper than all the other kamado style cookers we researched. We said what the hell and bought one.

I'm curious if anyone on the forum has one, has cooked with one or even seen one put together. They didn't even have one set up. We opened the box to get an idea for what it looked like.

I'm not sure if I'll put it together here or at the cabin (closer to May). If I put it together at the house I'll post a picture.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]
Oldyote is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #2
QansasjayhawQ
is One Chatty Farker

Well that sounds cool. And that will take the pressure off building the Wilber in too big a hurry.

And I love beer too.
http://www.moocowbbq.com/
Two Weber 22.5" kettles One Brinkmann Smoke'N PitMaster Deluxe One LARGE WSM! (special black glossy finish) w/Stoker! WooHoo! KCBS Member/KCBS Master CBJ #24295
Sweaty, smokey and enjoying every minute.
QansasjayhawQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 01:53 AM   #3
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

I opened the box today to take a peek. It looks solid enough but the true test will be to see how well it holds heat and if it has any leaks. I already know my guru won't fit and I'm not sure what adapter to even get for it (sent them an email already).

The Wilber build is a bit daunting but I have a buddy who is a metal guy who is happy to make the doors and my wife is excited about the project. So now I just need good weather and time. Both of those things can be hard to come by but I'm in no hurry.
[COLOR=navy][B][FONT=Book Antiqua]2 Large Big [COLOR=darkgreen]Green[/COLOR] Eggs, 1 restored Weber Performer in [COLOR=darkgreen]Green,[/COLOR] 1 S-330, 1 S-420 and [COLOR=indigo]1 AZ BBQ Outfitters Custom Tombstone Style Santa Maria Grill and Smoker. [/COLOR][/FONT][/B][/COLOR][COLOR=#1f497d][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=teal]Proud Member of the [/COLOR][URL="http://bit.ly/qIcK24"][FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=teal]Zero's Club[/COLOR][/FONT][/URL][/FONT][/COLOR]

[U][URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=86"][COLOR=navy][B]CLICK HERE to visit the BBQ Brethren Throwdowns[/B][/COLOR][/URL] :croc:[/U]

[SIZE=3][COLOR=indigo]"earthbound but aspiring.... A lumbering soul but trying to fly...(with)...not enough wingspread but plenty of intention."[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Old 03-20-2011, 10:05 AM   #4
---k---
is Blowin Smoke!

Wow. $348 is a great price - if it works good. Where is it made? I wonder if it is the same as Kamado Joe. Is that for the same size as the Large?

Proudly Smoking on a UDS, PBC &
Accidental Winner of the 2012 "Saucy" Throwdown.
---k--- is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-20-2011, 10:37 AM   #5
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

I've only seen pictures of the Kamado Joe but that looks much more like a BGE build. This "Big Red" is more like the Steel Keg but I'm not sure if it is as heavy duty as the keg seems to be. It's made my Char-Griller Sea Island, GA.

I've decided to wait to put it together as our cabin is about an hour away and its nicely packed right now and I'm worried I'd end up banging it up if I put it together and then transport it. I'll post pictures in a month or so when its put together.

The funny thing is that I can't find one thing online about it. Not even the Char Griller website has it. The full name on the manual is King-Griller by Char-Griller "Big Red" Kamado Kooker Model 06619. The website they list for ordering the cover is www.chargriller.com. It's a bit bigger than the BGE Large (I think 302 sq. inches).

Old 03-21-2011, 08:55 AM   #6
miso_ohio
Found some matches.

I saw one of those put together at Menards and was googling it today to try and fine more info on it. Hard to find any info, it has the BGE looks somewhat but has the extra steel swivel grate that connects to the cast iron grill grate like the Steel/Bubba keg has. The size of the grates seemed some what smaller then the Keg grills and I was a little concerned about the air vent at the bottom of the grill being too looses but I am sure it will gunk up and become airtight after a few uses.

There is a removable section in the middle of the cast iron grate I assume to add more charcoal to the fire. I did not see a diffuser in the model I was looking at but it may not of been setup on the floor model.

I would like to hear more reviews on it before I make the jump, it could be something nice to have up at the place I have at the lake. Currently I attach my Bubba to the trailer hitch but that requires me driving up in my 18/20 mpg truck. The 5 hour round trip is much cheaper in my 30 mpg car so having a grill up there would be great. I would love to find another $250 Bubba keg to keep up there but I think those days are done.
miso_ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2011, 11:37 AM   #7
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

Took a picture of the box as I won't be putting it together for a few weeks. Love to hear from anyone who has one or picks one up and starts using it.

Last edited by Oldyote; 01-29-2012 at 07:15 PM..

Old 03-21-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
Johnny_Crunch
Babbling Farker

That seems like a pretty sweet deal!

Old 03-26-2011, 04:30 PM   #9
jkd9977
Got Wood.

Have you had a chance to fire this up yet?
jkd9977 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Have you fired this yet? Been looking at this cooker myself and I'm curious if it's a cheapo......

Old 04-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #11
Smoothsmoke
Babbling Farker

Is this the same one that BBQ galore sells?
A bunch of Webers
Smoothsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
Uncle Bucks BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

Yeah I saw that one too, and debating on whether or not to purchase it. Hmmmm! Let me know how it goes.
Char-Griller Pro Offset
Brinkman Smoker (Collecting Dust)
Uncle Bucks BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-12-2011, 12:14 AM   #13
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoothsmoke View Post
Is this the same one that BBQ galore sells?
I've seen this red kamado at BBQ galore:
http://www.bbqgalore.com/globe-caf-ceramic-smoker.html

If this is what you are talking about, they are different. The one in question is also discussed here:

http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=5516.15
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-12-2011, 12:34 AM   #14
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-TX View Post
I've seen this red kamado at BBQ galore:
http://www.bbqgalore.com/globe-caf-ceramic-smoker.html

If this is what you are talking about, they are different. The one in question is also discussed here:

http://forum.bigsteelkeg.com/index.php?topic=5516.15
Yeah I agree that it's not that same one. I've seen the one at Menard's (the OP's pic) up close. It looks to be very similar construction to the Bubba Keg (lighter than a ceramic) but just shaped like a kamado.

It just looks cheap. I'm afraid.....sure wish someone a Brethren had a decent review of this.....(not that my wife wouldn't KILL me anyway.....even if I DID buy one because it came highly recommended....).

Old 04-12-2011, 09:28 AM   #15
Oldyote
is One Chatty Farker

The only information I could find about this cooker was not great. The one person I found who had tried one had trouble with air leaks and temperature control. I ended up taking it back to Menards without ever putting it together. The price is right, but I'm not sure they have the bugs worked out.