Edible Turkey Burgers!

What makes turkey burgers edible?

• Total voters

Gore

Phizzy

Batch Image
Reaction score
I just made turkey burgers and they were edible! I took Brethren advice and I mixed the ground turkey with mayo, but I also added diced onions and soy sauce. I found that they were not only edible, but also quite delicious. Since the experiment did not have any controls, I wanted to know what the Brethren thought made these so good. Was it the mayo, the diced onions or the soy sauce, or a combination of all three? :noidea:

Oh, I did add a slice of homemade bacon on top, but I'm sure that didn't affect the results any. Here's a pic of the finished product.

46851311561_fd07d1aa8c_b.jpg

Are you sure it wasn't some form of mind altering substance you ingested prior to the turkey burger?

We make turkey burgers quite a bit. They definitely need a little bit of fat to make them work. IMO they work best with Mediterranean spices. You can do them up similarly to how you would make a lamb burger. They also cook best on a griddle vs a grill grate too as they don't fall apart nearly as badly.

I dont make turkey burgers often. If you used mayo, then the moisture level inside probably went up. At that point, adding any extra flavor would have increased taste. Maybe you just hut the right temp inside so they were better than normal? Adding bacon will make shoe leather more awesome.

Are you sure it wasn't some form of mind altering substance you ingested prior to the turkey burger?

The only mind-altering substance I ate with the burger was bacon, but that was eaten with the burger, as shown in the picture.

I dont make turkey burgers often. If you used mayo, then the moisture level inside probably went up. At that point, adding any extra flavor would have increased taste. Maybe you just hut the right temp inside so they were better than normal? Adding bacon will make shoe leather more awesome.

I must admit that I've never eaten shoe leather without bacon. You might have a point.

I must admit that I've never eaten shoe leather without bacon. You might have a point.

In a pinch, if you take some shoe leather strips, marinade in a little soy sauce, sugar and hot sauce, then smoke at a very low temperature for 12 hours, you can call it jerky. The only other option is to cut it into small pieces soak in buttermilk and then batter and deep fry them. This is also called "fried gizzards" at some places.

It's funny.... I make delicious turkey smash burgers all the time and my only seasoning is salt. It's not just me being weird, folks come over and eat them and really like them too!!

Here's the key. I break 85/15 ground turkey into 2 oz "balls", drop them on a really hot griddle and smash them. Then add salt, wait a minute to get a great sear on one side, and flip. I stack two patties together with a piece of cheese in the middle.

The sear on the meat gives it a nice flavor. The small, thin patties mean that there isn't a wall of gray, bland meat, and the cheese in the middle and the fast cooking time means they don't dry out.

I thought the only way to make turkey burger edible was to incorporate finely ground unicorn horn into the mix???

That looks fantastic! :clap2:

You should enter that in the Cornish Hen Throwdown, Gore.

:thumb:

Thanks Moose, it really was fantastic, and I found that despite the mayo and onions and soy sauce, that turkey burgers taste remarkably like bacon. They might even be my second-favorite food after bacon.

BTW, I didn't know that Cornish Hens and Turkeys are the same. I've never been to Cornwall and didn't cook the turkey there, so I'd probably be DQ'ed anyway.

In a pinch, if you take some shoe leather strips, marinade in a little soy sauce, sugar and hot sauce, then smoke at a very low temperature for 12 hours, you can call it jerky. The only other option is to cut it into small pieces soak in buttermilk and then batter and deep fry them. This is also called "fried gizzards" at some places.

I've got a few pair I'm no longer wearing. I'll have to give this a try. Thanks! :thumb:

Thanks Moose, it really was fantastic, and I found that despite the mayo and onions and soy sauce, that turkey burgers taste remarkably like bacon. They might even be my second-favorite food after bacon.

BTW, I didn't know that Cornish Hens and Turkeys are the same. I've never been to Cornwall and didn't cook the turkey there, so I'd probably be DQ'ed anyway.

You could always cook more turkey burgers with a coffee rub and enter the "coffee" throwdown, just to be on the safe side...

:wink:

Back