Generator question

Rusty Kettle

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I got a generator this past weekend because we were supposed to get snow real bad and after the last power outage I was getting one to run a few small things. Just to charge the phones and run a tv. We had no power for 3 days this past November.
Anyways I was thinking of adding some rope lights to my tent at comps if I can reasonably use it. So what decibal level is acceptable? I don't want to drive my neighbors at comps crazy. I got a HF Tailgator. Its a little 2 stroke. I got it for home but thought maybe I could drag it along.
I don't plan to run it all night just when I need lights earlier in the evening and firing it back up at around 2am and probably back off no later than 330am.
Anyways is this reasonable or unreasonable?
I plan to keep it for home either way but it would be nice to have something to run more lights and not have battery power.
Thanks for your input.

If you run that during the night at a comp, be prepared to have someone come over and have a "chat" with you (for purposes of this scenario, "chat" may or may not involve the use of brass knuckes and/or a taser)

The quietest generators are loud. search "RV inverter generators" on Youtube or just Google for a month's worth of reading and viewing. You may want to just use an auto battery or two instead.

james

If you need a generator to run your lights, then other people will also be running generators to power cooking devices. I would ask if they have a spare opening on their generator before I would fire up my own. With the advent of LED lights, you can get some really bright headlamps and battery powered lights that don't use too much battery juice.
While I carry a Honda 2000, I only use it as a last resort. The only reason I would run it at night, is if I needed to power the pellet grill. Honda says a 2200i is 47-56 db, so that is considered a "quiet" generator.

If you need a generator to run your lights, then other people will also be running generators to power cooking devices. I would ask if they have a spare opening on their generator before I would fire up my own. With the advent of LED lights, you can get some really bright headlamps and battery powered lights that don't use too much battery juice.
While I carry a Honda 2000, I only use it as a last resort. The only reason I would run it at night, is if I needed to power the pellet grill. Honda says a 2200i is 47-56 db, so that is considered a "quiet" generator.

Yeah I think maybe just leave it at home then. Honestly never looked to see what decibels would be considered quiet so that actually helps a bit. It says about 90db. So even though its supposed to be a tailgator generator I am just going to leave it at home. Its not essential. I have my whole setup made to run without electric. Except a small headlamp.
It would be easier to have lights if I wasn't going to bother anyone but not enough for me to be inconsiderate of others.

That generator at 91 dB will be quite loud and I’m betting someone would eventually come by and ask you to turn it off. If you are just wanting to run lights I would look into an inverter/deep cycle battery setup.

Thank you for reconsidering. I always carry tin snips for inconsiderate folks :loco:

Why not just use the comp power?

Thank you for reconsidering. I always carry tin snips for inconsiderate folks :loco:

Why not just use the comp power?
Couple reasons. A comp I went to a few years ago said they had power. They did not inform me it was rv hookups. I did not have an adapter so I used my kerosene lantern and ran out of fuel. It was a long night.
Another comp we went to the power kept going off. Lucky for me I had already done everything to disconnect from relying on comp power.
I can live without power so I am just going to continue not using it.
If I could use the generator I bought for home for emergencys then it would be nice but not a big deal. So I am not going to worry about it.

If you run that during the night at a comp, be prepared to have someone come over and have a "chat" with you (for purposes of this scenario, "chat" may or may not involve the use of brass knuckes and/or a taser)
Lol. I wish we competed in California. If you are ever competing on the East coast then I will request to be next to you so I can show you my awesome generator. :caked:

Yeah I think maybe just leave it at home then. Honestly never looked to see what decibels would be considered quiet so that actually helps a bit. It says about 90db. So even though its supposed to be a tailgator generator I am just going to leave it at home. Its not essential. I have my whole setup made to run without electric. Except a small headlamp.
It would be easier to have lights if I wasn't going to bother anyone but not enough for me to be inconsiderate of others.

You will likely be asked not to use it at that noise level. A 10dB SPL (sound pressure level) increase is double the sound heard by a person. The typical Honda is around 50dB SPL, so at 90 db SPL you are 40dB above that, or about 16 times as loud (2^4)

You will likely be asked not to use it at that noise level. A 10dB SPL (sound pressure level) increase is double the sound heard by a person. The typical Honda is around 50dB SPL, so at 90 db SPL you are 40dB above that, or about 16 times as loud (2^4)

tenor.gif

Exactly why I am just leaving it at home. It will work at home in a pinch if we lose power. I got it for that mainly. i thought it might be nice to have one at a comp but now that I understand better how loud it is I will leave it at home. No sense ticking folks off.

That harbor freight generator says it's 96db which is twice as loud as a Honda 3000. I'd be prepared to piss some people off if you run it during the night. You might want to look at some quieter options and something that isn't a 2 stroke.

I don't think I'd buy any cheap generators. I heard lots of good about the Predators from harbor freight until I cooked a contest at 5500 feet elevation and everyone who brought a predator generator couldn't get them to run at elevation. If I were you I'd just spend the money on a small Honda generator. Quality pays for itself in the long run.

Last edited:
That harbor freight generator says it's 96db which is twice as loud as a Honda 3000. I'd be prepared to piss some people off if you run it during the night. You might want to look at some quieter options and something that isn't a 2 stroke.

I don't think I'd buy any cheap generators. I heard lots of good about the Predators from harbor freight until I cooked a contest at 5500 feet elevation and everyone who brought a predator generator couldn't get them to run at elevation. If I were you I'd just spend the money on a small Honda generator. Quality pays for itself in the long run.

Now if only I could convince my wife to be ok with it.
I think I will just leave the harbor freight one at home for emergency power outages.
I would love a Honda but my wife sees Honda prices and I will be in the dog house lol. In my situation I can live without a generator and compete. So not a big deal. I looked at that one from lowes that I posted a link to because I might be able to convince my wife of that one.
For me a generator for competition is a luxury not a necessity. We don't use a guru or other stoker.
I do need a generator for winter because of what happened back in Nov. We lost power for 3 days. The cheap one fits for emergency use. I am just going to leave it at home.

There is always the option of building yourself a nicer dog house.

Now if only I could convince my wife to be ok with it.
I think I will just leave the harbor freight one at home for emergency power outages.
I would love a Honda but my wife sees Honda prices and I will be in the dog house lol. In my situation I can live without a generator and compete. So not a big deal. I looked at that one from lowes that I posted a link to because I might be able to convince my wife of that one.
For me a generator for competition is a luxury not a necessity. We don't use a guru or other stoker.
I do need a generator for winter because of what happened back in Nov. We lost power for 3 days. The cheap one fits for emergency use. I am just going to leave it at home.
you could always run things that don't require much power at a comp with an inverter attached to a battery. You can do that for a relatively low cost.

Back