Can someone sell me on TriTip?

EyeBurnEverything

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Ok, i really want to try this cut but i just can't justify the cost. Can someone sell me on it?

Attachments

• 2218349192638463973.jpg
    2218349192638463973.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 352
  • 4124083703501652715.jpg
    4124083703501652715.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 349
Ok, i really want to try this cut but i just can't justify the cost. Can someone sell me on it?

Out here in CA, that would be considered super pricy! That said, if you’ve never tried tri-tip, I think it’s at least worth a shot. Heck, for $30, whatcha got to lose :)

We LOVE tri-tip!!!!!!

bf28db2db8878cd275bbcb9ceb528c10.jpg

At those prices it would be hard to.

I dont like paying over $20 for a tri tip and that on the high end

I love tri-tip but that does seem a little spendy. Seems like I usually spend around $35 for a package of two at Costco.

I LOVE Tri tip, but that's an outrageous price. Even the Prime from Costco is less than that. Choice is anywhere from about $4-8/lb around here, and will even go a bit cheaper now and then. And I'm in expensive California.

Keep looking. It's good stuff (as long as you don't over cook it :mrgreen:).

where do you live ?

Eastern PA

Btw, this is actually the first time i came across this cut and i religiously look for it everytime i go grocery shopping. I was expecting if i ever seen it, it would be in the $7-$8/lb range. I was flabbergasted to say the least.

trader joes has it for 8.99

We don't have a trader joes nearby, and if we did, i am going to take a wild guess and say the prices wouldn't be the same. For example. Costco in our area doesn't carry whole packers, only flats and only choice grade. They charge $6/lb for choice flats.

Eastern PA

Btw, this is actually the first time i came across this cut and i religiously look for it everytime i go grocery shopping. I was expecting if i ever seen it, it would be in the $7-$8/lb range. I was flabbergasted to say the least.

Same deal in Central PA. Wegmans is the only place I can find it on the reg. I had, in the past paid 9-$10/lb for it there but, $12.99, that borders on extortion! Farkers! It was really good though! Costco maybe?

I live in downstate Illinois so I have no experience with tri-tip. I'd love to try one, but the closest I've come is hearing rumors of one here and there. $12.99/lb. is more than ribeye here though.

Have you asked at the butcher counter where you shop? Sometimes they have it, but don't put things out. You may have to buy several that way, though. For example, my local Meijers store never has it out, but you can ask for it and get around 3 lbs for $7.49 /LB.
As to whether it's worth it, it tastes good, but I haven't gone looking for it instead of other cuts that go on sale locally. I am glad I tried it, just to find out for myself.

That’s super pricey for my area as well. I usually pay 4.99lb to 5.99lb

LiuI eat it like this day one. Then cubed in to Chili usually. Also I’ve run through Ninja Pricessor and used in Taco quesadillas nachos. The cubes also make a grand stuffed avocado. Anytime I see them on sale I buy them. This one particular cut should always be cut against the grain when slicing. I fail at that more than Id like.

Last edited:
That’s pricey for sure, I get two prime grade TT for about $40.

Love the marbling in the Costco primes!

Attachments

• 5EA364A8-9C4A-463A-A589-813E033C5305.jpg
    5EA364A8-9C4A-463A-A589-813E033C5305.jpg
    70.1 KB · Views: 132
Back