• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.
Forgive me if this is anathema, but my local Walmart has the Barrel House Cooker for $45. I know the history, but BHC does have to pay royalties since they settled the suit.

For $45, is it worth it to compliment my PBC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgive me if this is anathema, but my local Walmart has the Barrel House Cooker for $45. I know the history, but BHC does have to pay royalties since they settled the suit.

I think you've already answered your own question. If you thought it was OK, you would have already done it, in my opinion.

I think you've already answered your own question. If you thought it was OK, you would have already done it, in my opinion.

If only I were so noble! I actually stumbled upon the deal on brickseek while looking for the Pit Boss vertical in my area (supposedly available in my area for $199).

My thought was, for $45, I could use the BHC as a back-up. Frankly, I don't see how they're making any money at $45. I certainly understand the sentiments of those who won't mess with the BHC, but my understanding was that the lawsuit had been settled and PBC was receiving royalties on each BHC that was sold.

If I find on for under $50 I'll take the plunge. It may be the answer to needing a cooker up at my moms place or for camping. Cant build one for that.

quick question. im looking through the mobile pages for bbq-brethren and I see:

The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk
But there is no listing of this thread. Is it not turned on, or am I missing something? THanks

I grabbed a BHC today for $45. I was hoping I could get some good pointers on the need to know aspects of using it here, but then I read the backstory. Happy to see that the PBC owner got a payment plus royalties out of his lawsuit. Hope he got to recoup every penny he had to spend on lawyers doing it too.

Maybe BHC failed which is why they are getting blown out at $45.

I've been adamant I wouldn't get one. $45 is a nice way to test one's resolve, however.

Maybe BHC failed which is why they are getting blown out at $45.

I've been adamant I wouldn't get one. $45 is a nice way to test one's resolve, however.

It looks like they won't be carried at Walmart anymore. They had the BHC on clearance and new OKJ barrel cookers there to replace them.

I picked up a decent amount of the Weber briquettes on the HD clearance and used the last of my KBB stock this past weekend. I've only used KBB so far.

Anything I should know about using the Weber ones? Maybe less coals in the chimney to start or anything like that?

New Guy here.

Took a while but I have read all pages, 631. I purchased my cooker after reading about 300 pages. I ordered it on a Wednesday and they delivered it to Houston Saturday. I had it going in about an hour.

I've worn out two verticals and upgraded to the Pit Barrel. I love my vertical for it's size and capacity, however it is a lot of work. For me, a vertical was hard to cook low and slow and get the setup to handle wood chunks correctly, the burners either ignited the chucks and spiked the temperature or the chunks just died. It also took me a while to get the taste profile I knew I could achieve, I ended up making my own Amaze-N pellet candle out of a piece of Stainless Steel Well Point pipe. That would still be an option in the Barrel for cold smoking.

Stumbling on hot-n-fast cooking, I realized I was spanking myself trying to force a vertical to cook low-n-slow. While reading Bludawg's posts, the Pit Barrel thread caught my attention.

This is my first charcoal grill/smoker. My first cook was chicken and skewered veggies. The food was great but I didn't know about letting the Kingsford Briquettes settle and we got the full Kingsford Original Smog Flavor. Heck it was still good but lesson learned. I tried Stubbs and it was better but, as I understand it, Stubbs has been phased out. I went to HomeDepot and picked up some Royal Oak lump and Kingsford Hard Wood. Will try those soon.

I rolled out some fatties to get more surface area and smoked those using Academy-supplied Bad Byron's Butt Rub. They were really good, exceptional. I realized that would be a simple and inexpensive party pleaser.

Yes, the Pit Barrel Cooker is fantastic!

Yep saw that, would of bought one at that price in a heartbeat!

I assembled by Barrel House last night. Too windy around here to mess with it now, but I look forward to this style of cooking

$40 is hard to pass up. Glad there weren't any around me so I could stick to my guns haha.

Anyone use Weber coals? Going to fire up the PBC for the big game but don't want to screw up the lighting process.

631 pages of PBC!

I've owned a PBC for almost 3 yrs now. Love that thing!
It produces great product almost every time (user error when it didn't). Glad to see so many fans of it. Just stumbled on this thread and I had to chime in.

Love this thread. I've a few hundred pages in and can't stop reading.

My PBC came in last week. Fired it up Saturday with some chicken as a first run. I monitored temps just to see where it would run as I'm not far from sea level. It ran great right around 280 for the majority of the time. Needless to say I am a believer now. The chicken was the juiciest I've ever had. The skin got dark and was chewy because I didn't crack the lid to raise the temp. All in all it was a success. I've got some ribs to do this week and found a tri-tip at Sam's. The tri-tip is a rare find around here. This one comes in a brine preseasoned with peppercorns. Figured it wouldn't hurt to try it.

On a side note, folks should post up their Super Bowl food plans. I'm still deciding but one of those bacon wrapped sausage logs vs some chicken wings are near the top of the list.

Back