Homemade Beef Jerky Storage

jburch3

Reaction score
I made some homemade beef jerky on my Big Green Egg yesterday for the first time. Since I've never made it at home before, I don't know how long it will keep or how to store it. Right now, I have it in a tupperware container in my fridge. That's probably where this batch will stay. How long will it stay good in the fridge? Next time, what's the best way to store it?

I have made jerky 4 or 5 times, it never seems to last long enough to go bad, lol. I usually Foodsaver about half of what I make at one time, then freeze it. I did a small test with a few strips once, by putting them in a baggie on the kitchen counter. After 2 weeks I could see no fuzzies growing, at 3 weeks a couple of tiny white spots showed up, at that time I was out of the other jerky so I ate it, end of experiment. No ill affects noted. I think if you have completely dried it out, then let it cool before storing it in whatever container you should be good for 2 to 3 weeks at room temp, probably a little longer if stored in fridge. I have heard though that storing in the fridge in an airtight container can cause a little condensation to form. YMMV.

Depends on how dry you make it...the drier it is the longer it will last. I make a lot of venison jerky every year, in fact I've got a bunch in the dehydrator right now. Regardless of how you store it, do not put it into an air-tight container until after it has completely cooled. If you store it warm, it will sweat and lead to mold.

Back