MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-30-2011, 10:35 AM   #1
Chubby
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default 1st shot at pulled pork

Done my 1st butt in the new uds. It was pretty easy controlling temps, but i'm wondering if my thermo in the side of uds is gonna work.
My bro-in-law was scrapping his old gas grill and gave me the thermo. The probe isn't much over 3/4 inch long.
I read on here that there can be extreme temp diff from edge of barrel to the center. So if I'm holding a temp of 230 to 250 at the edge , I could be to 300 or over in the center?
Since my meat thermo went awol about half way through, and not sure what barrel temp was, the butt turned out kinda dry.
That being said I still managed to salvage quite a bit, and it was good. I'm gonna keep practicing cause I'm hooked now.
Heres a pic before pulled, good bark but extremeley dry and very hard. But as you can see the smoke ring was good and the heaven in the middle was well worth the wait. Any pointers will be appreciated. Thanks

Old 05-30-2011, 10:37 AM   #2
DallasLoanGuy
Found some matches.

Mine turned out great. Smoked for 6hrs. I mopped it often and wrapped and finished in the oven to save wood.
Wrapping helps reduce the burnt/dry ends
DallasLoanGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2011, 10:45 AM   #3
LoveBBQ
On the road to being a farker

My first go on my UDS turned out much the same. I had thermometer issues too. Meat turned out a little dry although it had great flavor. Like you, I'll be trying again soon!

Old 05-30-2011, 11:13 AM   #4
Rubmybutt
Full Fledged Farker

It looks really good, you may want to inject next time? I use apple juice and I mist my meat several times during the cook and if I foil I'll put some juice in there to. Apples and pork do seem to go togeather, just look at any whole hog gettin Q'ed and what's it the mouth?
Fast Eddy 100-Backwoods Competitor- Backwoods Extended Party-Cookshack SM-160 Weber Smokey Mountian 22.5-New Broanfels offset-Fire Majic Aurora 660A-Weber Genisis (1979)-Weber Genisis 330-Weber Performer-Weber kettle 22.5
Cajun Injector turkey fryer
Fastest [COLOR=darkorange]ORANGE[/COLOR] splash-proof Thermapan BBQ Guru WIFI.
Just one my first chili cookoff Dec 1st 2012
Rubmybutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2011, 11:29 AM   #5
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

1) You don't need to inject

2) You don't need a thermometer

You just need something you can stick in the butt and feel around a bit (that just sounds way too weird).

A skewer or anything shaped like a thermometer probe is all you need. Heck, a butter knife would probably work.

Cook it until it's tender and the probe slides in with no resistance.

Thermometers are way overrated.
Cook is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2011, 11:55 AM   #6
BRBBQ
Babbling Farker

I like the diffuser plate in the UDS, moisture drips on plate making a moist environment.