MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-20-2007, 04:20 PM   #16
Mooner
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Mooner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIX View Post
I know this is an old thread off the road map but I am doing a butt this coming weekend on a weber kettle, I don't think I will be able to keep the temps down around 225-250, I am guessing more like 300+. The rule seems to be 1-1.5 hours per lb at the lower temps, what kind of time per lb can I expect if my kettle holds at around 300? Thanks for the great info guys. RIX
If you do it hot your gonna have to go by feel or temp probe. The same rules still apply though. Get that 1.5 hours per pound out of your head. If this is your first one then you can use that rule as a very rough and I mean very rough time estimate but the thing is done when it's done. At high heat 300-325 remove the fat cap, rub her down with little sugar in your rub and cook it. Every 20 minutes to half hour flip it and rotate the meat. When it starts to look nice and crusty or at 160 internal wrap it in foil with a little apple juice and still flip it every half hour. Your butt should be done in 4 hours at 325. You have to feel your meat. Press it with your fingers..does it feel mushy like a rare steak? If it does then your done, or when it hits 200-205.

MOFO Chapter
Blue Moon Porkers
Yoder ys1500 / Masterbuilt 1050 / Pit Barrel Cooker

Last edited by Mooner; 06-21-2007 at 10:18 AM..
Mooner is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 06-20-2007, 04:22 PM   #17
RIX
Knows what a fatty is.

Thanks guys, I have really studied up on the road map and think I have everything figured out (sure to have some hiccups but thats ok). I will definatly pay more attention to meat temp and feel than time but I want to have this done around a certain time so I'd like to know about when to start. For an 8 lb butt I will give myself a good 10 hours prior to serve time, like you said I will cooler it for a while if I have the extra time. Thanks again guys. RIX
RIX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2007, 04:28 PM   #18
chinesebob
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by LGerber View Post
Very interesting reading in this thread, and I am looking forward to using some of the tips suggested. I really liked the idea of apple juice and bourbon
I use apple cider, a little butter, and bourbon. Unless I want to drink it too then I skip the butter.

I put mine in smoke to 195 and pull them off. I foil them for about 20 - 30 minutes afterwards but I don't put them back on. They fall apart in my hands.

Of course with Ginny it's hard to mess up a piece of meat unless sh runs out of water..

Old 06-20-2007, 04:39 PM   #19
RIX
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadBoysBBQ View Post
If you do it hot your gonna have to go by feel or temp probe. The same tules still apply though. Get that 1.5 hours per pound out of your head. If this is your first one then you can use that rule as a very rough and I mean very rough time estimate but the thing is done when it's done. At high heat 300-325 remove the fat cap, rub her down with little sugar in your rub and cook it. Every 20 minutes to half hour flip it and rotate the meat. When it starts to look nice and crusty or at 160 internal wrap it in foil with a little apple juice and still flip it every half hour. Your butt should be done in 4 hours at 325. You have to feel your meat. Press it with your fingers..does it feel mushy like a rare steak? If it does then your done, or when it hits 200-205.

Thats great info, thanks. Looks like I can scale back the amout of time needed a bit, and like you said its done when its done, but more like 6 or 7 hours prior to serving I will start rather than 10 hours. Thanks again.

Old 06-20-2007, 05:05 PM   #20
Smokin Gator
Babbling Farker

Don't cut yourself too short. Better to be done way early and cooler than to be sweating having it done. Don't be afraid to have it coolered for 3-5 hours.

If you have a smallish cooler (for one butt) just fill the rest of the space with old towels.

If you realize it will be in the cooler for 2 or more hours I would consider pulling at 195. It is going to continue cooking for quite a while.

Best of luck bro...

Medium Amazin' Blue Spicewine - It's a Swamp Thing
UDS
Large BGE - Adopted
Medium BGE - Adopted
Weber 22 inch w/mods
Weber SJP
Stoker
Weber Genesis Silver C Gasser
Constant wood lurker
FBA CBJ
Smokin Gator is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2007, 05:19 PM   #21
spicewine
Babbling Farker

I have had a number of butts stick " Hang at a certain temp and not continue to increase in temp" for an hour or so. I don't go by the time per pound rule. You have to treat each butt differently and go with internal temps as opposed to time. I cook mine at 210-230 and take it to about 190 and cooler if done early. In comps I will cook no less tha 3 butts to get the best flavor advantage and try to get some slices if I can. I do inject but do not spritz.

Spice

SPICEWINE IRONWORKS
Award Winning Smokers, Sauces and Spices
Columbia Missouri
www.spicewineironworks.com
PERFECT 180 CHICKEN 2011

1ST. PLACE PORK
AMERICAN ROYAL (OPEN) 2012

PERFECT SCORE180 IN RIBS 2013

BEST SAUCE IN THE WORLD ( BLUE COLLAR )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2009 & 2017

BEST RUB IN THE WORLD ( HEFFER DUST )
AMERICAN ROYAL 2007
MOFO Chapter
CISC Master BBQ Chef
spicewine is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #22
Bigmista
somebody shut me the fark up.

Why can't you cook at a lower temperature?

Rec Tec RT-700 Bull
Pitmaker Vault

Remembering Scott
Bigmista is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-20-2007, 09:33 PM   #23
Meat Burner
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
What Bigmista said.

NB Bandera with mods
Weber 22 .5" x 2, 26.75" x 1
UDS x 3
KCBS CBJ
Created "The Great Spam Revelation of 2011."
www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111155
Meat Burner is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2007, 07:36 AM   #24
Yakfishingfool
Babbling Farker

Wouldn't the temps in the meat really determine the plan of action? I take butts to 195, foil and pull at 205. Maybe a bit too high but damn they are juicy and tender. No injectates, just a rub and foil. Scott
1 Weber performer, 1 Smokey Joe Platinum
1 XL Big Green Egg
1 FEC 100
Team BBQ-Brethren.com
KCBS Certified Judge #9079
Yakfishingfool is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-21-2007, 07:46 AM   #25
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

After I have applied rub to my butt, I will place it in a disposable aluminum pan then cook (I smoke just about everything at 225) it that way until an internal temp of 200 is achieved, it will normally take all night. Then once I have that temp, I will pour all of the grease/liquids from the pan (there will be a bunch) and I will then wrap with foil or just place foil over the pan, I will then place in cooler until ready to pull/serve. Some folks will reapply the rubs at some point during the cook or just prior to foiling, that will be your call. Also if you use the aluminum pan you can pour out the grease and add some apple juice prior to letting rest in the cooler.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2007, 08:25 AM   #26
Bigdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony76248 View Post
After I have applied rub to my butt, I will place it in a disposable aluminum pan then cook (I smoke just about everything at 225) it that way until an internal temp of 200 is achieved, it will normally take all night. Then once I have that temp, I will pour all of the grease/liquids from the pan (there will be a bunch) and I will then wrap with foil or just place foil over the pan, I will then place in cooler until ready to pull/serve. Some folks will reapply the rubs at some point during the cook or just prior to foiling, that will be your call. Also if you use the aluminum pan you can pour out the grease and add some apple juice prior to letting rest in the cooler.
Tony,
Do you discard all the juices?
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2007, 08:34 AM   #27
tony76248
is One Chatty Farker

Yes I do, it will sometimes be up to the brim of the aluminum pan. If I do not use a pan, it works good too, but you tend to get a bunch of grease in the bottom of the smoker. The meat will still be incredibly moist. That said, I use a Stumps cooker. I would imagine that with a stick burner, the end product will be somewhat drier.

There's plenty of room for all of God's creatures.
Right next to the mashed potatoes.

Brinkmann Model 6668 Gasser
Hibachi Grill
Stumps GF223 w/ Stoker assist
ECB that wins the $
Weber One-Touch Gold 22-1/2"
#3 Komono
Large BGE w/ Stoker assist
55 gallon Drum Smoker
Wood Crate Cold smoker w/ smoke injector
No need for certification, I already know good BBQ!
tony76248 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2007, 08:38 AM   #28
Bigdog

Quote:
Yes I do, it will sometimes be up to the brim of the aluminum pan. If I do not use a pan, it works good too, but you tend to get a bunch of grease in the bottom of the smoker. The meat will still be incredibly moist. That said, I use a Stumps cooker. I would imagine that with a stick burner, the end product will be somewhat drier.
I have never tried a pan before. Usually put the butts on top as a baster, or on top of the water pan. Thanks for replying so fast.
Pitman for Andy Groneman at the All Things BBQ cooking classes.
Smoke on Brother KC
Father of the Fatty (the name) 4/20/04 on the BBQ Brethren with inspiration from Brother parrothead.
Bigdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-21-2007, 08:41 AM   #29
RIX
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigmista View Post
I have just found that on my weber kettle that it is hard to keep the temps below 275 or 300, unless I want to be opening the lid and adding pieces of charcoal every 20 min.
My plan is to start with 20 pieces of rancher lit in the chimney, add a 1 or 2 small pieces of smoke wood, let the smoek settle for a bit then put the butt on. Then monitor internal temp of meat and temp of cook area, I will shoot for the lowest temp possible but it seems hard to get below 275.
Maybe if I use the minion method, say 20-25 pieces of unlit rancher and add 10 pieces of lit rancher and a wood chunk or 2.

Old 06-21-2007, 01:24 PM   #30
big brother smoke

Quote:
I do the same thing! Pan is filled to the brim and I am burning sticks.