Cooking a 3.5 lb whole chicken tomorrow

Plaid Palace

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am cooking a 3.5 lb whole "young" chicken tomorrow on my Kamado Joe. I have a recipe for a brine and rub I am going to use.

What temp should I cook the bird on indirect cooking? Is it better for a long cook of 2+ hours or would you cook it hotter around 45 minutes?

450 for 45-50 mins.
Butter and rub optional.
Brine if it is substandard produce, but dry brine.
If its really suspect, wet brine.

:bolt: from avalanche

My experience has been hot and fast for poultry is best. I usually do my chicken at 325-350 and watch for the right internal temps at the breast and thigh. Your timing for a bird that small sounds pretty close.

This is approximate, but figure around an hour for a bird of that size at 325-350. I like to let 'em sit out while the cooker is coming up to temp. I'll actually let 'em sit out for up to an hour (but not if company is over 'cause people get flipped out over that kinda chit). This is for a spatchocked (butterflied) chix btw - haven't done an uncut one in ages.

A whole 'nother subject, but if you wanna spatchcock, cut out the spine, cut into the cartilage between the breasts and use your fingers to work out the keel bone. I think there's a good tutorial video on the Virtual Weber Bullet site, and I know there's no shortage of info around here.

Also, when you pat your chix dry after taking it out of the brine (you might wanna rinse yer bird btw), pat it dry and apply the rub. Let it sweat - i.e. the rub hydrates. I usually use a seasoned salt first then the rub, thereby sweating it twice.

Or you could just throw the farking thing in the cooker till it's done and it'll still be pretty dang good. :thumb:

I've been cooking at least one every week for a very long time and I still love it. Lots of possibilities with flavors, etc. plus it's always good to have some chix in the fridge for quick meals, kids' school lunches, work lunches, etc.

btw the method outlined by bucc is fantastic.

btw here's what they look like spatchocked - the one on the left was marinated/basted with Carolina Treet, the one on the right was brined in Patio Daddio's Ultimate Thanksgiving Turkey brine and rubbed with Big Poppa Smokers Money rub. Cooked indirect around 300-325, creeping up to 400, then I slid them over direct 'cause I was getting hawngry! They were both fanfarkingtastic.

Photo1-87.jpg

I prefer my chicken rather al dante, rather then overcooked and dry. A crispy skin is a plus! The 400-450 route is good and watch the thermometer.

Back