MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 12-09-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Chill Time Q
Found some matches.

Default My Greasy Hill

Howdy,
I was looking for a reasonable price pit to move up to and found bang for the buck with a Greasy Hill Customs. They have a decent web page and prices were negotiable. I chose the TOS-01, reverse flow and aded the rib box, basket up front. About mid month in November there was a BBQ brother that posted a great review and improvements on his Greasy Hill. I took those into consideration and contacted John at Greasy Hill. He was pleased to hear of the improvements that were posted on this site. The items he tweaked. Lowered grate in firebox. Added another butterfly vent in firebox. Then my brother in law and I grabbed the grinder and welder and tweaked it some more. Ground all corners and smoothed out any rough spots. Ran a weld along the edges of the reverse flow plate under the bottom grate, this ensured no leak of smoke and heat along the edges. Last, we added a plate in the firebox the divides the fire box from the cooking chamber, this aided in better flow. Now to season it......
Seasoned it with a good fire, no problems running temp up to 350 for initial burn. You could see the fire being drawn into the body of the smoker, so I knew we had good flow. Three cycles of steam clean and then a good slow smoke for about two hours and the interior looked seasoned and ready for the maiden voyage.... So why not a whole hog for the first go....
We planned the Saturday after Thanksgiving to have about 30 friends over for a great college football weekend and a whole hog party. A few of my loyal Brethren showed up before first light (with plenty of hydration choices) and helped prep our 65 pounder. Injected hams, shoulders and bit in the loins, not to much though. Rubbed her down with Butt Rub and placed her skin side down. Pit was ready at 225 and we started at 0645. We backed the heat down about 2 pm and let it rest and pulled it apart about 3:30 pm. Wow!!! It was awesome, many gathered at the pit and nibbled on some of the best pork we'd ever eaten. All that remained was skin and bones. All enjoyed and only about two servings were left after all the games were done that evening.
Since then I have done Butts, Ribs and Chicken Thighs all delicious.... The pit holds temp very well and uses about a stick an hour with some charcoal added along the way as well. When choosing this pit I knew what I was buying. Like the previous post was the bones of the smoker are great, with some minor tweaks I now have a great pit and still have a good bit of money in my pocket. John and Felicia were great to work with and I have nothing but good things to say. So if your looking at getting into a bigger pit, bang for your buck, I think you can't go wrong....
Pics of mods and my hog, attached pics, not sure if they will show up, first time doing this... Sorry if this is a long ramble but wanted to share my story..... Regards, Chill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (52.8 KB, 299 views)
Chill Time Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Chill Time Q
Found some matches.

Default Pic

See if this pic will post.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (51.7 KB, 293 views)

Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 AM   #3
Chill Time Q
Found some matches.

Default Pic

Next..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (48.6 KB, 293 views)

Old 12-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Chill Time Q
Found some matches.

Default Last one..

Sorry for the sideways pics, new to iPad concept...
Later, Chill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (80.1 KB, 283 views)

Old 12-09-2013, 09:06 AM   #5
Fwismoker
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'm getting dizzy...

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 09:07 AM   #6
16Adams

Nice Pit. Congratulations. I too used to post sideways photos with my Iphone (have not tried with WIFE's IPad). Try snapping photos with the home button on the right 3 o'clock (not down at six o'clock)

Works on iPhone and worth a try.

Old 12-09-2013, 09:08 AM   #7
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Good write up and I am glad to hear that you saved some money and still got what you wanted. I wish someone made a lower priced cabinet smoker that was not perfect but could be modified so we could do just what you did. I could never build one but I bet with the bretheren's help I could modify one to my liking.
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

Sign Up for The 2022 Texas BBQ Brethren Fall Bash Here! ([URL="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12NjP4bH3uLyH6-RJnI4gSfDr0nKQ6_4cxdw_GhmrKq0/edit#gid=1935530835"]Link[/URL])
pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
Chill Time Q
Found some matches.

Thanks for the iPad photo tips. New to the whole Ithing. Chill

Thanks from:--->
Old 12-09-2013, 09:15 AM   #9
16Adams

Please post up another Pit or food photo from IPad home button positioned at 3 o'clock. I gots to know ;-))

Old 12-09-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
Chill Time Q
Found some matches.

iPad button on the right.. Thanks for the photo tip.... Picture of my Kamato Joe and my Greasy Hill...
Thanks, Chill
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (81.6 KB, 259 views)

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-09-2013, 09:28 AM   #11
16Adams

Fantastic. Glad it worked out. When I first joined the board I caught some grief over my sideways photos. Looking back they were just jealous I live in Texas

Thanks from: --->
Old 12-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #12
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill Time Q View Post
iPad button on the right.. Thanks for the photo tip.... Picture of my Kamato Joe and my Greasy Hill...
Thanks, Chill
Ah much much better, the side ways ones get me queasy. Great looking pit!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #13
16Adams

Chill Time-observed you have a couple quality cooking weapons. Why not list them in your signature??

Old 12-09-2013, 02:26 PM   #14
DownHomeQue
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : DHQ

Nice looking pit and hog!

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148660[/URL]

250 Gallon Offset Build (2012)

[URL]http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211078[/URL]

600 Gallon Offset Build (2016)
DownHomeQue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-09-2013, 04:32 PM   #15
ag80n
Knows what a fatty is.

Great looking pit! I used my GHC in a comp this weekend and it did real well for us in the rain and then the cold. The only issues with it were "picnic". (Problem in chair, not in chamber) to abduct and ruin a computer term. In other words I did a few dumb things and it let me know I was being stupid.

I am not surprised at all that John would make the changes to improve things and glad that you got a good pit and made it even better. Happy Smokin!