MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-24-2013, 09:13 AM   #31
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

royal jack mim
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 10:14 AM   #32
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

IMHO

Depends on the kind of BBQ you are cooking...

For Pork the most prestigous is Memphis in May as that is what MIM focuses on. Ribs, Shoulder, and Whole Hog. It is certified as the largest Pork BBQ Contest in the World. This make the winner of Memphis in May the World PORK BBQ Champion

For Brisket it is the Houston Rodeo. Nobody does Brisket like Texas and this is the biggest, baddest Comp in the Lonestar State. You win this and you are the KING of Beef BBQ.

For KCBS it is the Royal. As KCBS is a style adapted all over the USA due to it being the premeire and most used sanctioning organization, this means you are the top amongst 5500+ BBQ Teams in the organization. You are the KCBS World Champion

Now that brings me to the Jack. The winner of MIM is invited to the Jack, the winner of the Royal is invited to the Jack, pretty much gotta be a Grand Champion at one (more times than most many) regional contests. Since the Jack is, unlike the Royal, composed of winning teams from different sanctioning organizations besides KCBS, I would argue that this makes the Jack Grand Champion the Overall BBQ World Champion as you have to be able to cook many styles of BBQ well in order to win.

Like I said, Just my view

Neil

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-24-2013, 10:50 AM   #33
Scottie
Quintessential Chatty Farker

The winner of Houston Rodeo is also invited to the Jack.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-24-2013, 11:54 AM   #34
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

We've had an AR invite several times and I have never bothered to go. I've never had my name called for the Jack and don't plan on turning it down WHEN it happens. Perspective.

Old 01-24-2013, 12:39 PM   #35
Alexa RnQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Location: the Ninth Ring of Hell, cleverly disguised as Phoenix

For us, always and only, the Jack.

We've qualified a number of ways: through the draw twice, through a one-and-done contest once, and twice by grinding out 7.

They may have taken years off my life, but I'd rather do those 7 years again than sit through another Draw Day.

[url=http://www.rhythmnque.com]Rhythm 'n QUE[/url]
Alexa RnQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 04:03 PM   #36
Ryan Chester
is One Chatty Farker

AR as the largest for sure.

King of the Smoker as most prestigious. Yes the jack has 7 GC in 1 year guys but you can also get in by being lucky with 1 GC. Not to discount the difficulty in getting 1 GC but KOS is a more concentrated field of multiple GC winners who are hands down the best in the country. Not to mention the location/amenities being second to none!

Old 01-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #37
boogiesnap
Babbling Farker

i can see that^^^^.

i suppose it might be all relative like most things.

if i told someone i won the jack, MIM, or royal, they'd probably know what i meant. king of smokers, unlikely, despite it's prestige within our circle.

avatar by grillman. patent pending. :mad2::becky:
boogiesnap is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-24-2013, 07:38 PM   #38
TooSaucedToPork
is one Smokin' Farker

Really??? King of Smokers, Sam's, World Food Championships??

Not to disrespect people's opinions but, they've only been around a couple years. You'll find just as many (if not more) teams with amazing track records at the Jack, MIM, and the Royal.

Not to discount those contests, but the prestige of contests is built by the skill of the teams competing AND age. In order of oldest to youngest: The Houston Rodeo, Memphis in May, the Royal, and the Jack are BBQ institutions...that creates prestige.

Wait ten years and ask this question again...I bet you ten bucks the four listed above will still be around, and still be considered the most prestigious in BBQ, where as many of the others; Sam's, World Food, King of Smokers...will be in the ash pan. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see them lasting the decades the Legendary 4 have.

Stumps OS223, Stumps GF223, Grilla Pellet Cooker, RectTec680, Traeger Tex, HM Offset Barrel, 18.5 and 22 inch WSM, UDS, Orion, 2 Weber Kettles...and a couple turkey fryers

"We're a drinking team...with a BBQ problem"

Want to join the team for Memphis in May?
[url]http://www.toosaucedtopork.com[/url]
TooSaucedToPork is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 06:16 AM   #39
Lake Dogs

Name/Nickname : Hance

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooSaucedToPork View Post
IMHO

Depends on the kind of BBQ you are cooking...

For Pork the most prestigous is Memphis in May as that is what MIM focuses on. Ribs, Shoulder, and Whole Hog. It is certified as the largest Pork BBQ Contest in the World. This make the winner of Memphis in May the World PORK BBQ Champion

For Brisket it is the Houston Rodeo. Nobody does Brisket like Texas and this is the biggest, baddest Comp in the Lonestar State. You win this and you are the KING of Beef BBQ.

For KCBS it is the Royal. As KCBS is a style adapted all over the USA due to it being the premeire and most used sanctioning organization, this means you are the top amongst 5500+ BBQ Teams in the organization. You are the KCBS World Champion

Now that brings me to the Jack. The winner of MIM is invited to the Jack, the winner of the Royal is invited to the Jack, pretty much gotta be a Grand Champion at one (more times than most many) regional contests. Since the Jack is, unlike the Royal, composed of winning teams from different sanctioning organizations besides KCBS, I would argue that this makes the Jack Grand Champion the Overall BBQ World Champion as you have to be able to cook many styles of BBQ well in order to win.

Like I said, Just my view

Neil
Neil, I was trying to find a way to apply the appropriate perspective on each of them, and darned if you didnt do it (above).

+1

Careful though; you may accidentally lift a few folks' blinders.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 08:25 AM   #40
Scottie

Ronnie Cates was claiming a few years ago his contest was going to be bigger than All of them. Last I checked, the Big 4 are still there. And by no means is this any disrespect to those other contests that folks claim.

Red Jambo one off
FE 100
FEC 100
WSM
Homer Simpson 22 " Weber Kettle
Red 18 1/2" Weber Kettle
Black 26 3/4" Weber Kettle
Scottie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 08:38 AM   #41
Meat@Slim's
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Chester View Post
AR as the largest for sure.

King of the Smoker as most prestigious. Yes the jack has 7 GC in 1 year guys but you can also get in by being lucky with 1 GC. Not to discount the difficulty in getting 1 GC but KOS is a more concentrated field of multiple GC winners who are hands down the best in the country. Not to mention the location/amenities being second to none!
So how do you qualify or get invited to KOS?

Seems to me the most elite to qualify for and then get invited to is the Jack.

Old 01-25-2013, 09:16 AM   #42
JD McGee
somebody shut me the fark up.

Biggest...The American Royal...
Most respected...The Jack...
Most sought after invitation...King Of The Smoker...

In my humble opinion...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2
JD McGee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 09:43 AM   #43
Rich Parker
Babbling Farker

I have a hard time seeing prestige in an event that does not have published rules on how to get in.

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using Tapatalk 2

Old 01-25-2013, 10:02 AM   #44
DawgPhan
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD McGee View Post
Biggest...The American Royal...
Most respected...The Jack...
Most sought after invitation...King Of The Smoker...

In my humble opinion...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

I have never once heard anyone talk about trying to get an invite to the King Of Smokers contest. I am glad you guys all had a great time at the event.
DawgPhan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2013, 10:13 AM   #45
Smokedelic
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawgPhan View Post
I have never once heard anyone talk about trying to get an invite to the King Of Smokers contest. I am glad you guys all had a great time at the event.
Trust me, they'll talk about it now...