Questions To Contest Organizers

C

Citizen Q

1) How much do you pay KCBS to sanction a contest?
2) What does KCBS sanctioning uniquely provide to your contest?
3) How many paid admissions does KCBS sanctioning bring through your gates?

1) What is it now? $350? plus the per team cost
IBCA is only $25 and $3 per team
2) Some teams prefer to cook KCBS over IBCA
If you can get a high percentage of experienced CBJs
That is very helpful
3) None

Up to 49 teams it's $300 plus $12 a team
Over 50 teams it's $450 plus $12 a team

So a 50 team contest would pay $450 + $600 (50 X $12) = $1050
There is also some rep expenses like travel, miles, stuff like that.

I'm not an organizer so your last two questions I can't answer.

You sure? Adding KCBS sanctioning doesn't bring teams? Or did I misunderstand the question?

Yes, you misunderstood the question. Paid admissions refers to spectators paying to enter the contest and festival grounds.
I'm not concerned with teams that would activiely seek out KCBS sanctioning, let them go to Kansas.

Yes, you misunderstood the question. Paid admissions refers to spectators paying to enter the contest and festival grounds.
I'm not concerned with teams that would activiely seek out KCBS sanctioning, let them go to Kansas.

1) Then I agree with Thom.
2) As you might guess, the decision weather a 'spectator' will pay to attend a venue has everything to do with what they get for their payment, and little to do with the sanctioning.
3) Not sure what the 'go to Kansas' bit means, but it seems rude at worst and misguided at best. Something to chew on though, contestents, which are required as part of a competition, may very well care if a contest is sanctioned by KCBS.

The costs are all correct -
KCBS doesn't bring any people through the gate

I'm a first time Q organizer - Bar•B•Q Pit, Norwalk CT
Our Rep answered lots (and I mean lots) of questions, did a lot of hand holding and was well worth the $300 sanctioning fee. To us there true value is in the competition itself, I've watched them work and they take 90% of the headaches away from us (the organizer) - they also seem to add credibility to a sanctioned event - Fairness, standardization, prize payouts - I'm sure there are other things they add You can download the santioning packet from there website, first couple pages tells it all

IBCA isn't an option in CT, we're using KCBS for BBQ / NEBS for grilling and oth ancillary contests

greg

norwalkbbq.com

Am I missing something? What's the point of asking about the benefits of KCBS sanctioning then making a comment that you don't care to seek teams who want KCBS sanctioning?? If you're planning a contest with that kind of attitude, I can't wait for the post-event message here wondering why it all failed.

Have fun kids. If you want to break away from KCBS and form your own sanctioning body go ahead. If Phil chooese to do the same fine. Lots of BBQ Forums. For the record I support the KCBS although I don't agree with all they are doing. I like this Internet Board but am getting real PO'd about people that throw out comments with no support for them and then run and hide. Don't like KCBS tell us what they did.

What does KCBS bring to cooks - fair and equal rules all the time. With 10 teams you don't have a show and with KCBS you do. That's what organizers understand. No cooks = no show and paid gate. Of course most midwest contests don't charge paid admission. They figure out how to make money and give people a free show.

Without sanctioning it's a popularity contest in some cases. Get IBCA to send reps to sanction your contests or FBA or form your own. Or run for the BOD at KCBS and make changes. But you're losing midwest teams that mey want to go east and compete with this kind of post.

I've paid to attend contests as a spectator because I've seen the contest listed on the KCBS calendar.

Ok Brother ........But it couldnt be considered a common thing

What money there is in contests is not at the gate

you had a good thread goin'...

... then it spontaneously combusted...

most times it's just better to take the high road.

yes Sean is my friend, but I also have many KC friends that would be real pissed off at a comment like that... I would be mad too if it were the other way around.

everyone has their own .02 and the beauty of this forum is that you get to see what they are, and respond if you want to, or not.

My hope is that, one day, people do not get lumped together simply because of where they live... that is all...

Yea, why us Kansans... why could he have at least known that KCBS is based in Missouri hehehe

Ok, I'll go to my room now...

I love all you BBQin farkers. And I will see everyone in June and July...

I'm one of those teams that actively seeks out KCBS sanctioning. You're attitude sounds a little like Maire Antoinette's "Let Them Eat Cake" statement. I typically go out of my way to avoid organizers and their contests that have attitudes such as your own. Thanks goodness that they are few and far between.

Mod Request - Not directed at anyone....

The thread has not gotten out of line (yet) but it could easily head that way. Please be sure to remain on topic within forum rules and keep it civil !!!

Thanks !!

Back