MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:37 PM   #1
Wneill20
is one Smokin' Farker

Default How do you control the temp on weber

Ok I have a Jambo, UDS,Pellet smoker never had a Weber 22 One Touch until today do you use the bottom or top vent or a combination of both ?

Old 04-25-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
williamj
Full Fledged Farker

Leave the top wide open and control the temp with the bottom
williamj is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-25-2014, 06:45 PM   #3
HOGIE
Knows what a fatty is.

What temp are you trying for? For smoking, I have both the top and the bottom open only 1/8" or so, and hold at 250* with no issues.

Old 04-25-2014, 06:58 PM   #4
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Top WFO, control with the bottom.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:30 PM   #5
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I'm using the 26.75 OGT. Try my best to leave the top WFO and control with the bottom only, seems to control with the bottom vent at 250*-300* pretty consistently or hotter if I build the snake a ltttle larger. On occasion I'll close down the top if temps seem to be rising out of control but that is the exception not the norm.

Old 04-25-2014, 07:39 PM   #6
aquablue22
Babbling Farker

I control the temp in my weber with the amount of fire built on each side. I start with 15 to 20 coals on each side, top and bottom wide open. Tend the fire every hour by adding 4 coals to each side and any other things needed, chips, chunks, etc. Plus it make perfect timing for a cold one. I wrote Weber a letter 20 some years ago axing how to maintain temps and this was their response, I still have the return letter someplace. I just never changed anything after that.
2 - 18.5 Weber Kettle
1 - WSM Mini

I live in fear that my Wife will sell all my "TOYS" when I die for WHAT I told her I paid for them!!
aquablue22 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-25-2014, 08:13 PM   #7
haunas
On the road to being a farker

My bottom three tine thinggy broke so I control from the top. WOrks fine too.
haunas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2014, 08:15 PM   #8
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

For grilling I run the all vents wide open and control by the number of coals used. For smoking, a 2x2 stack of charcoal set up as a snake ring works great with the bottom just barely cracked works well for me
Blanton is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-25-2014, 09:37 PM   #9
dadsr4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue22 View Post
I control the temp in my weber with the amount of fire built on each side. I start with 15 to 20 coals on each side, top and bottom wide open. Tend the fire every hour by adding 4 coals to each side and any other things needed, chips, chunks, etc. Plus it make perfect timing for a cold one. I wrote Weber a letter 20 some years ago axing how to maintain temps and this was their response, I still have the return letter someplace. I just never changed anything after that.
I think what you are referring to is on page 2 of this PDF.

Last edited by dadsr4; 10-17-2017 at 10:57 AM..
dadsr4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2014, 09:39 PM   #10
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamj View Post
Leave the top wide open and control the temp with the bottom
What he said. ^^^
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2014, 09:47 PM   #11
cmwr
is One Chatty Farker

I used mine today and with bottom fully closed and top cracked about 1/3 way I was sitting close to 400. But I had both baskets full so maybe that was my issue.
cmwr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #12
93_confirmed
Take a breath!

This is a newb question so I apologize but I noticed earlier today that the grill temp of my Weber Kettle seemed to increase (at the same rate) regardless of how much I opened or close the bottom damper. Is this normal? I was under the impression that the more I closed that damper the more the temp would decrease from lack of oxygen. What am I missing here?
93_confirmed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2014, 11:08 PM   #13
Happy Hapgood

Name/Nickname : Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93_confirmed View Post
This is a newb question so I apologize but I noticed earlier today that the grill temp of my Weber Kettle seemed to increase (at the same rate) regardless of how much I opened or close the bottom damper. Is this normal? I was under the impression that the more I closed that damper the more the temp would decrease from lack of oxygen. What am I missing here?
Heat rises. Oxygen feeds fire. There is a small degree of fire management required. If you put too much fuel in, you will have a hotter burn.

One thing you do not want is for your meat to get a bitter taste. The idea is to let the heat and smoke flow over the meat. If the top vent is closed, the meat will collect contaminates from no flow and make the meat taste bitter.
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2014, 11:11 PM   #14
Zin
is One Chatty Farker

Combination of both top and bottom vents. The bottom vent is always open about 1/8-1/4" and the top any where from 50% to wide open depends on what temp you are shooting for.
Zin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-25-2014, 11:12 PM   #15
grillinguy247
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

There are different ways to control the temp on kettles. It all starts with how many coals you light and how you arrange them. If you're doing something like steak, burgers etc. you can just light half a chimney or so and you're set. When I do a longer cooks (keep in mind I'm hot and fast at 300+ most times) I use the 2-2-1 snake method top and bottom wide open and or gives me at or around 300. If you want closer to 225 or 250 you can adjust your bottom vents. I found in the windier conditions the top vents help dial it in.

Transplanted Texan

Chad
grillinguy247 is offline   Reply With Quote