MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Catering, Food Handling and Awareness > Food Handling General Discussion

Notices

Food Handling General Discussion General and open discussion for food handling and safety.

Old 12-18-2012, 11:30 PM   #16
JohnHB
is one Smokin' Farker

I am a horseradish fan. None of those horseradish cream, dips etc are the equal of a great home made horseradish. Let's get the basics.
The finer you can grate your horseradish root the hotter it will be. I use a thermomix to chop/grate. It makes it exceedingly fine. Then I add a couple of pinches of salt (to taste) and a slosh of white wine vinegar - just enough to moisten the horseradish. That is it - ready to use - hot & flavoursome. If you are a wimp add some sour cream to tone down the heat!

Old 01-02-2013, 09:30 PM   #17
NewEnglandEgger
Got rid of the matchlight.

Some restaurants use a practice called 'marrying' to combine condiments from multiple bottles so customers always feel they have a fresh bottle.

Doing this can result in a jar/bottle being around for a really long time if the place does not have any standards for keeping their stock somewhat fresh.

A bit disturbing to think the OP may have encountered a jar that had been married more times than Hugh Hefner!
NewEnglandEgger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 02:49 PM   #18
The Drill Sargent
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQchef33 View Post
In my book.... the only thing that touches prime rib is my teeth.. :)

Horsey sauce goes great on roast beef sammis.

Boars Head brand makes a really good prepared one.
Boars head is good stuff. Any respectable steak house should make their own though.
The Drill Sargent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #19
canoe
Knows what a fatty is.

For the folks who like fresh horseradish - that stuff is weed and is very easy to grow. Just place the root in some soil. Just be sure to plant it where you would not mind it taking over. It grows like crazy.
canoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:59 PM   #20
LT72884
Babbling Farker

i LOVE horseradish but once i dug up a fresh horse radish root and then blended it up in the vitamix(blend tech blender) then made the mistake of opening it up and taking a deep breathe. Snot and tears came out me eyes and i lost my dinner. Instant reflex of the vomiting system. man alive. it was awesome.

anyway, what i do is add sour cream and parsley. i love it hot but to me the flavor of a cream sauce on prime rib or a steak is amazing.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:58 PM   #21
IamMadMan
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PimpSmoke View Post
OK so I read the mayo thread, since the product in question was essentially mayo (Kraft horseradish sauce). However I didn't see the age question covered so.......

Saturday myself and MrsPimp go to a very well regarded rest. for steak. Long story short I ordered prime rib, rare of course. When my meat got to me I asked for horseradish and they brought me the aftermentioned product. I used it for a while (on french fries) for awhile before I realized that it was warm. So I'm checking the label to see if it requires refrigeration and I see the expire date

11/06/06

WTF! So what do the food safety gurus say about this? Safe or Not?

How dangerous is expired mayo type products?
I would not be happy with this discovery. Some restaurants refill these from bulk containers to save money. Here Health law prohibits refilling labeled commercial containers to prevent putting another product under a different label. Refilling non-labeled or generic squeeze containers is permitted.
IamMadMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:50 PM   #22
martyleach
Quintessential Chatty Farker

OK, so here is my favorite way of making horseradish sauce. I finely grind my horseradish root with a microplane. Then I use heavy whipping cream and whip it up till it is tight. Add some salt and the horseradish. Maybe a small pinch of sugar. Simply decadent.....

Custom wooden handles for BBQ's made by Marty Leach (oh, that's me)
[url]http://www.amlwoodart.com[/url]
martyleach is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks from:--->
Old 01-24-2013, 05:26 PM   #23
MS2SB
is One Chatty Farker

For Passover dinner I make a Jewish staple called chrain. It's a preparation using fresh horseradish, white vinegar a little sugar and fresh beets. Everything goes through the shredder blade on the food processor. The beets give it a bright red color and the stuff is POWERFUL. I put on a pair of ski goggles and wrap a bandana around me nose and mouth to prevent serious discomfort ruing preparation.
[B]Original Noobian Warlord
[/B]Loser of Known Space
MS2SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:19 AM   #24
popeye
is one Smokin' Farker

if you want a good bloody mary try a litle horse radih in it
popeye is offline   Reply With Quote