MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:58 PM   #61
toymaster
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Turkey Master

Can't use my Weber until the spring comes. I use my Akorn (Vanessa) all winter long. This winter has been brutal in New York this year.
toymaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #62
Curtc
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
Okay... I own an Akorn, kettle, two UDS' and a mini WSM. Ill try to answer the op question without blathering too much here. Akorn, for the money is an excellent way to get into kamado cooking and imo are very well built units. Mine went together without a hitch and has given many great cooks. One of my favorite things about it- It KILLS on pizza!!! With a heavy stone, you can make wood fired quality pizza with ease. Ok to the kettle since its been mentioned. Super versatile! For grilling, quick smoking then reverse searing you can't beat em. There's a reason they're in so many backyards across America, and most people don't even realize you can smoke on them too. Cost comparatively much cheaper than an Akorn, so that may be a factor in your decision. UDS are simply awesome cookers too, but unless you build it to grill I.e. so you can raise basket under grate, you won't be grilling on one. And you have to build it which turns some folks off the idea.

I don't own a large WSM, but I do have a mini WSM that I built with a smokey joe gold. Excellent cooker for smoking, reverse searing and grilling. Easy to smoke on it then simply remove center "barrel" (which is a tamale pot) then put grate right on kettle bottom for searing meats. That said this is on a much smaller scale than an actual WSM. Not so sure I'd want to mess with an 18" or 22" lid and barrel while hot when trying to setup for grilling after a smoke to finish over coals. And as bbgeekess stated, you'd be bending over to do so. I don't have that issue with little smokey joe gold as its a "tabletop grill", plus its my traveler smoker so I deal with it if no table available.

I don't know, a 22.5" kettle sounds like it might fit your needs well, as does an Akorn but you're gonna shell out some more clams for one of those. Unless you find one on sale like I did
thanks for taking the time to explain.. I'm liking them all and still going to decide as I'm not in any kind of hurry... Tough decision???
Curtc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2014, 02:21 PM   #63
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by toymaster View Post
Can't use my Weber until the spring comes. I use my Akorn (Vanessa) all winter long. This winter has been brutal in New York this year.
Vanessa ...I love the name. I bet it cooks better just having a name like that!

+1 on those who said Akorn for grilling. I had a WSM and a Bubba Keg. There is no grilling comparison, but the WSM was one heck of a little smoker workhorse.

I do all my grilling on my pellet pooper which will get up to 800+ degrees.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2014, 02:27 PM   #64
Curtc
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:

AFter looking at the WSM and The Akorn, I want them both LOL

Old 03-05-2014, 02:38 PM   #65
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Weber kettle with the addition of a rotisserie. I love the roti attachment.
jsperk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2014, 03:06 PM   #66
toymaster
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Turkey Master

All of my grills/smokers have names. Doesn't everyone name their toys? I talk to them too (and yell sometimes when they act up)
toymaster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2014, 03:09 PM   #67
peeps
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
All of my grills/smokers have names. Doesn't everyone name their toys?
My only one that doesn't is my Kettle. I just haven't found the right name yet and I've owned it the longest.
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2014, 03:24 PM   #68
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtc View Post
I have a Yoder YS 640 Pellet grill on the way,that I can't wait to use, but would also like to have one of these that are small and handy, for doing burgers and steaks. And occasional smoking on them also!!!

Thanks
His title says Akorn or WSM and then he goes on and says he'd like small for both grilling and smoking.

I am just wondering if he knows about the Mini WSM.. or if that's too small for him.

Old 03-05-2014, 03:28 PM   #69
peeps

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqgeekess View Post
For something small, portable and does smoking, barbecue, roasting & grilling: Mini WSM.

Not so good for pizza!
Quote:
Mini WSM grilling :

Mini WSM Roasting Chicken :

Mini WSM can warm smoke at 200F for bacon:

Some ribs on a Mini WSM :

I cooked this pork butt in my Mini WSM -- it was my first:

Here she the day after I built her :

This might be all you need to complement your Yoder, unless you need to grill for more than 2-4 people. It's small, portable, fuel saving & does your smoking and grilling.

It costs under $100 to make it.. just an idea.
Quote:
His title says Akorn or WSM and then he goes on and says he'd like small for both grilling and smoking.

I am just wondering if he knows about the Mini WSM.. or if that's too small for him.
I'd say you covered it for him pretty well already
- [B][COLOR="darkorange"]Major[/COLOR][/B] - Mini WSM (from SJS)

[B][COLOR="Blue"]Certified IMBAS MOINK Baller![/COLOR][/B] ([URL="http://bit.ly/1lr5cKx"]Certificate of Authenticity[/URL]) / [B][COLOR="Blue"]Join the fun in the [URL="http://bit.ly/1ew3H57"]Throwdowns[/URL]![/COLOR][/B]
peeps is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-05-2014, 06:24 PM   #70
HogFan
is one Smokin' Farker

I have a 22" Weber grill and the Acorn. I use the Acorn all the time and can't remember the last time firing up the Weber. Very versatile grill and you can sear steaks at 700F+ if you want.

Thanks from:--->
Old 03-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #71
Curtc
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by peeps View Post
I'd say you covered it for him pretty well already

I think I want a little bigger, all these post has me loving both!! Thanks for all that posted this.. It really was a big help!!

Old 03-05-2014, 06:36 PM   #72
Curtc
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HogFan View Post
I have a 22" Weber grill and the Acorn. I use the Acorn all the time and can't remember the last time firing up the Weber. Very versatile grill and you can sear steaks at 700F+ if you want.
Thanks The Weber sure looks sweet also!! The Akorn looks like the champ for high direct heat.

Old 03-05-2014, 06:41 PM   #73
Fwismoker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtc View Post
Thanks The Weber sure looks sweet also!! The Akorn looks like the champ for high direct heat.
Uh not so fast! lol

On my Big Poppa i can sear at 1100-1200 degrees or put a diffuser over the charcoal basket in the raised position and get pretty good direct heat in the 700-900 degree range no problem

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #74
Curtc
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fwismoker View Post
Uh not so fast! lol

On my Big Poppa i can sear at 1100-1200 degrees or put a diffuser over the charcoal basket in the raised position and get pretty good direct heat in the 700-900 degree range no problem

I do like that it is a beast, Just not sure about knowing what all parts to order, I'm somewhat handy, Just not sure If I have what's needed to build one?

Old 03-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #75
smoke ninja

1200*! any hotter and you could make metal alloys in your drum. I want to forge a sword now.

Not sure but I think you just need a drum, drill and maybe a wrench to build the big poppa, it is a kit with everything you need (except the drum).