UDS design mods for fish

Dovid

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi all,
I was wondering if there were any modifications one would make to their UDS specifically for smoking fish (and any other similar products)?

For those wonderin why I ask, it is because I don't smoke meat in the same device as fish. It is a kosher related issue which I can explain if anyone wants.

So I need a UDS for meat and another for fish. My drums are identical so far. I expect that I will make a smaller charcoal basket but I wasn't sure if there was anything else I should be considering. Such as...with a smaller basket I can put two racks in place, extending closer than the 24" I maintain on the meat drum.

So far, my drums are torched out, drilled for all but the thermometer mounts, rust treated (since I waited too long before painting and they collected a bit of rust on the exterior), and ready for painting.

Do I need to season the inside with grease and an empty cook?

Thanks so much!

Smoking Kosher in Chicago

Hi all,
I was wondering if there were any modifications one would make to their UDS specifically for smoking fish (and any other similar products)?

For those wonderin why I ask, it is because I don't smoke meat in the same device as fish. It is a kosher related issue which I can explain if anyone wants.

So I need a UDS for meat and another for fish. My drums are identical so far. I expect that I will make a smaller charcoal basket but I wasn't sure if there was anything else I should be considering. Such as...with a smaller basket I can put two racks in place, extending closer than the 24" I maintain on the meat drum.

So far, my drums are torched out, drilled for all but the thermometer mounts, rust treated (since I waited too long before painting and they collected a bit of rust on the exterior), and ready for painting.

Do I need to season the inside with grease and an empty cook?

Thanks so much!

Smoking Kosher in Chicago

Do you intend to hot smoke the fish, or cold smoke?

I would think for hot smoking the fish, the physics will be the same.

If you are wanting to cold smoke fish, I think that may be a challange in the UDS. It will be hard to keep the temp low enough. In my opinion, of course.

Thanks Qman,

I was thinking of trying the hot smoke, which if I remember correctly, is about 180 degrees? That is why I am fashioning a smaller basket holding about 7-8 lbs.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Thanks Qman,

I was thinking of trying the hot smoke, which if I remember correctly, is about 180 degrees? That is why I am fashioning a smaller basket holding about 7-8 lbs.

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

I think you are on the right track. Most fish will smoke in an hour or two. Maybe 3 hours if you can keep the temp at 180 or so.

I either wet brine the fish, then air dry it for a few hours before smoking, or salt cure it with a heavy salt rub for a couple of hours, then air it till a pellical forms, then smoke it.

Hi Dovid! I'm using a small basket, but have not done any fish yet! Chicken wings and legs on the Bayou Classic wing racks. The last cook I did when I was done cooking I plugged all the intakes and closed the kettle lid vent and choked out the briqs and was able to re-use them tonight.

Are you going to cure the fish to smoke or do you just want to cook them?
Using a small basket I'd think 30 min to 1 hour depending on the thickness of the steaks or fillets.

If I'm cold smoking salmon I pull out the Little Chief electric smoker.

100_1643.jpg

100_1646.jpg

100_1645.jpg

100_1718.jpg

Brian

Back