Outside help

Cliff H.

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
There is a small local KCBS comp in my town this weekend. There is a guy cooking all catagories even though he has never cooked a brisket.

They have asked me to cook it for them which I decided was not such a food idea. I offered to come on site and prep the brisket and get it on te smoker for the guy. Then leave um instructions on what to do.

Is there a ruling on that ?

I will be bringing my injections and rubs.

i don't think there is a specific rule pertaining to that exact situation, as long as your not also cooking for another team.

but, to be safe, i'd suggest being added to your freinds team member list.

or just give him instructions, but don't actually touch any food?

I see a lot of teams around here that will have guys from 2 different teams combined. As long as they aren't cooking with 2 teams at the same comp there's no problem.

If you are cooking this comp, you can't help.

From KCBS Rules:
"Chief cooks and/or assistant cooks
may only cook for their designated team at the contest they​
are attending."

if someone gets literal the 2 words "designated team" might come into play.

if you're not designated as on the team someone could squawk, you never know.

better to be safe than sorry.

BTW, cliff, how 'bout throwing some brisket instructions this way. :becky:

There is a small local KCBS comp in my town this weekend. There is a guy cooking all catagories even though he has never cooked a brisket.

They have asked me to cook it for them which I decided was not such a food idea. I offered to come on site and prep the brisket and get it on te smoker for the guy. Then leave um instructions on what to do.

Is there a ruling on that ?

I will be bringing my injections and rubs.

You can cook with whoever you want as long as your only cooking on one team in that contest. I've cooked with a lot of different people and it's always been an enjoyable experience. I say just go and hang out and cook and have a good time. The team will learn from your experience and you'll be passing on some of your knowledge. I think that's a good thing.

if someone gets literal the 2 words "designated team" might come into play.

if you're not designated as on the team someone could squawk, you never know.

better to be safe than sorry.

BTW, cliff, how 'bout throwing some brisket instructions this way. :becky:

Huh ? Where's this designated team thing come from ? Whatchu talkin bout Willis ?

its 100% fine as long as you or your team isnt in the same contest. as Yankee says its a great thing to do, end of story, have fun :p

Huh ? Where's this designated team thing come from ? Whatchu talkin bout Willis ?

right here, arnold:

From KCBS Rules:
"Chief cooks and/or assistant cooks
may only cook for their designated team at the contest they
are attending."

BUT, to the OP all those guys would know FAAAR better than i. go for it and have a good time!

Back