MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
TxGambler
Got Wood.

Default Need help

I love this site.

Could someone explain water bath? Is there a place with video about the proper way to cook with the bandeera smoker? I printed the bandera 101.
Is anyone producing the heat diverter? I have no means of making one.

Thanks for any help.

By the way I picked my bandera smoker up off craigslist, after some cleaning, sanding and paint dang it looks great. I'm ready to season it and start cooking.
TxGambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Going out on a limb here as I do not have a Dera, but have used the clone I gave my dad. The water pan could be placed on the last shelf, used hot water to start, and is basically there to provide moisture in the chamber. Whether it will make for a more moist meat product is another debate. As for the difuser, I don't know if anyone produces replacement ones, but a simply one can be made out of sheet metal. I saw a pic not too long ago of someone's Dera mods. I'll see if I can find it. Are we talking about the upright model or a horizontal?

As far as the proper way to cook, what is it that you want to know? This is a broad topic and could cover anything from the meat to starting the fire, especially if using all wood.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
TxGambler
Got Wood.

Thanks Bob, my question about using the vertical smoker is placement of like ribs, sausage High on the rack or middle. what is put on the bottom racks and so on.

Thanks again
TxGambler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-12-2010, 11:57 AM   #4
BobBrisket

Name/Nickname : Bob

Most will put ribs, links, thighs, etc on the mid to upper shelves and thicker cuts on the bottom if you are cooking many things at once. If only cooking something like a brisket or a butt, you could put those in the upper shelves as well, since there is a pretty good temp difference at the lowest grate the uppermost grate. The diffuser plays a big role as well. It will help spread out the heat or funnel it to the outermost wall of the meat chamber and mellow out the heat a bit. With no diffuser, it comes roaring out and will create a hot spot on those lower racks. This is where a large water pan will come in handy as it will act as a diffuser as well. Cake pans works really well and you can probably find one large one or two smaller ones to fit nicely on the bottom grate and give the meats a bit of a buffer zone from the direct heat coming in.
One thing about the Dera, is to get the fire going right at the onset. Once you have a nice hot coal base, it takes a small log at a time to keep it steady. A good tip is to preheat the logs on top of the firebox before putting them in the firebox. Just don't leave em unattended. I think there's some pics in my album of my dad's clone all loaded up and you can see the logs preheating on top of the FB.

Bob
PBC-Courtesy of Poobah, 22.5 Weber Kettles-A, K, DR Stamped, 18.5 Weber Bar-B-Kettle Black and Red, Weber 18.5 Smokey Joe Platinum, Weber Genesis Silver, Lil' Chief Smoker, Discada Set Up,OKJ Highland Offset.
BobBrisket Jr.-MUDS, WSJ Silver
My BEST Compliment....."You're a good cooker, Dad!"--My Son :)
Miss You, Marty and Bull! RIP
BobBrisket is offline   Reply With Quote