Fire Grilled Carne Asada & Roasted Poblano Quesadillas

Moose

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
Got some USDA Choice Flap meat from Costco, and put in my special marinade for 2 days:

IMG_0886.jpg

Fired up the Kingsford Oval, placed hot coals to one side, and threw in a piece of oak. Covered grill, cooked meat indirect for 15 mins on cool side of grill to get some smoky goodness in the meat:

IMG_0888-1.jpg

Now, time to finish meat off direct with a nice hot sear:

IMG_0891.jpg

Meanwhile, fired up the gas grill for some grilled poblano quesadillas:

IMG_0897.jpg

Pulled meat off grill:

IMG_0894.jpg

Cut it up:

IMG_0896.jpg

Time to make a burrito. Topped with cilantro, fresh pico de gallo, and hot salsa roja:

IMG_0899.jpg

It was delicious!

Great job, I especially liked the reverse sear.

The reverse sear works really well - I get a lot more smoke flavor in the meat that way because the meat is exposed to smoke at a low temp while it's still cold. I pretty much use this for anything I don't do low and slow - chops, steaks, chicken, fish, etc. Basically the meat tastes like it was cooked over a wood fire.

Looks mighty tasty!

How about the mary-o-nade recipe? Could use a good carne asada recipe.

Moose those look great!! Mmmmm...

Man that looks super duper! I need some of that.

You said the marinade was special, not secret. Care to share?

Looks mighty tasty!

How about the mary-o-nade recipe? Could use a good carne asada recipe.

It's quite simple, and this is pretty much the same exact thing you get in Mexican markets from their meat counters:

Orange juice
Cilantro
Onion
Scallions
Lawry's Seasoning Salt

Sprinkle seasoning salt liberally on meat, then pour in some OJ into a pan, then place onions, scallions, and cilantro to cover, then put in one layer of meat, then repeat process for each layer of meat. Let marinate for at least 24 hours, 48 is even better. About halfway during the marinade, I flip the meat so the top layer is on the bottom and it gets a nice soaking in the OJ.

I'd love to see some pics if any of you decide to try this!

Thanks for the recipe...I'll certainly be trying it soon as I'm sure to be tired of Turkey in the comming weeks.

Back