MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #12031
Kftopgun
Found some matches.

Default First smoke

Smoked two slabs of ribs and a whole chicken this weekend. Turned out fine but one thing I was disappointed in was that I lost my fire about 5 hours in. Maintained fairly steady at 225 then basically just went out. I didn't snuff it out, only tweaked airflow as necessary to try and maintain temp. There was a ton of unlit, unburned lump in my basket when it went out. Mine has four "intakes".....all with a screw cap. Would I be better served by replacing one or more with a ball valve to help better control intake????? Like I said, the food was done and tasty, but had I been cooking a brisket or butt, I would have been SOL......
Kftopgun is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2014, 04:14 PM   #12032
smoking bear
Got rid of the matchlight.

i have recently got 2 drums that have the 2in and a 1in bong holes.
question is: i've seen pvc used for the 2in stack and was wondering if that was safe to use being that its on the exhaust?
my lowes store didn't have any black pipe in the 2in size

Old 07-07-2014, 04:37 PM   #12033
Kftopgun
Found some matches.

Default Aggie UDS

New Aggie smoker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg agsmoke.jpg (37.3 KB, 773 views)

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-07-2014, 07:25 PM   #12034
lo winslow
Found some matches.

Here's my first, with a Packers theme. I missed the Fourth but am looking forward to pulled pork this weekend.

Big thanks to everyone who contributed to these threads, especially Norcoredneck for the excellent tutorial. I never would have tried this on my own!

2014-07-05 11.40.32.jpg
lo winslow is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-07-2014, 11:50 PM   #12035
schwin97
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kftopgun View Post
New Aggie smoker

Love the Aggie themed smoker. Am hoping to do something similar with mine, but looking for a stencil I can use to get the block ATM in the state. Think of a UDS that looks like the helmets we had when playing Mississippi St. a couple years ago. Only problem is finding a stencil big enough...

Where did you find the maroon high heat paint?

About losing your fire five hours in, a lot of people talk about fits getting cooked out by the ashes around then. Most say a good shake/kick will clear out some ash so your coals will get the air they need to keep going. Some have created coal 'jigglers' to help make sure the ash doesn't build up.
schwin97 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2014, 08:14 AM   #12036
Kftopgun
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schwin97 View Post
Love the Aggie themed smoker. Am hoping to do something similar with mine, but looking for a stencil I can use to get the block ATM in the state. Think of a UDS that looks like the helmets we had when playing Mississippi St. a couple years ago. Only problem is finding a stencil big enough...

Where did you find the maroon high heat paint?

About losing your fire five hours in, a lot of people talk about fits getting cooked out by the ashes around then. Most say a good shake/kick will clear out some ash so your coals will get the air they need to keep going. Some have created coal 'jigglers' to help make sure the ash doesn't build up.
This wasn't a home build. I bought from Riley's Smokers. He had the maroon and a burnt orange (ugh) and like a Cowboy blue, along with other colors.

Old 07-09-2014, 02:15 PM   #12037
paulheels
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I have a plethora of barrels now, five to be exact. As exciting as it sounds, it really looks more like a chore now. all barrels are closed top. But I am able to grind the roll and remove the lid, with it being reuseable. that was an awesome find!
Two barrels are oil barrels and were $10. unlined
Three barrels were free, but lined.

Hope to have some pictures up in the next few months of some builds.

Finding lids has been pretty futile around here. Cragislist hasn't had a Kettle yet. lucked into a lid for the one i have already built. Alot of work ahead to get these barrels in cooking shape.
paulheels is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2014, 02:26 AM   #12038
Kakhuis

Name/Nickname : Charlesgriet

Finnished my first UDS and seasoned it yesterday. BIG THANKS to everyone who added on this Monster of a thread.
So...

My brand new drum inside:

Even came wrapt in plastic bubble wrap

The paint off:

New paint job, not the best but it will do:

My lid:

Inside:

Some wheels:

My Basket:

First fire:

Finnish Dum:

After 4 hour of seasoning i add some chicken wings:

Came out really good. Did not use anything on the chicken:

All gone:

Funny thing is I did not have a tempt messure installed yet. Did it by guessing. They are still in the mail. But it work out great.

So once again thanks to everyone.
Now to move on to the bigger meat !!!!!!
Kakhuis is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-10-2014, 05:14 AM   #12039
bcmontgomery519
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default My first NDS(Niner Drum Smoker)

Here is my fist smoker. A special thanks goes out to mnmgri4 for the perfect hinge design.

This was a fun project. I got the legs and dome lid from a old 22.5 grill. Drilled a hole thru a 5/8 for my 12' deep fryer thermometer to go thru. VHT and Rustoleum high heat paint......Feel free to hit me up if you are making your first one and need a hand
bcmontgomery519 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2014, 02:10 PM   #12040
Kakhuis

Name/Nickname : Charlesgriet

Me again. Had so much fun yesterday, today I when for a whole chicken. Was more like a baby turkey. Was big and lots of fat. So my drum is getting a good seasoning.

My chicken:

I notice quite a lot of liquid at the bottem. I am sure it is the chicken fat. Will that be a problem for the food or drum ?. I have a 14" basket so it is a bit narrow. I will just tip some ash in to soak it up and the scoop it out.
Kakhuis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2014, 03:57 PM   #12041
pdavidc
Found some matches.

Many thanks to all who created this massive and awesome thread! In the process of building my first with a new drum and have a questuion I have not seen come up:

My lid has a white gasket in it. Should I leave it or remove it?

Thanks for any help.

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drum lid gasket.jpg (41.9 KB, 619 views)

Old 07-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #12042
Wahoo95
On the road to being a farker

Yes you should remove it. That will give you a much better lid fit. I ran mine with the gasket for several cooks till I realized I'd get better closure without it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdavidc View Post
Many thanks to all who created this massive and awesome thread! In the process of building my first with a new drum and have a questuion I have not seen come up:

My lid has a white gasket in it. Should I leave it or remove it?

Thanks for any help.

Dave
Wahoo95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #12043
pdavidc
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lo winslow View Post
Here's my first, with a Packers theme. I missed the Fourth but am looking forward to pulled pork this weekend.

Big thanks to everyone who contributed to these threads, especially Norcoredneck for the excellent tutorial. I never would have tried this on my own!

Attachment 98970
The only thing this needs to be perfect is orange and navy blue paint to cover up all that green!!!

Old 07-11-2014, 09:43 PM   #12044
Wahoo95
On the road to being a farker

Finally got around to finishing my drum by painting it, adding wheels, and upgrading the thermometer.

Wahoo95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2014, 09:58 PM   #12045
bstomper
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakhuis View Post
Me again. Had so much fun yesterday, today I when for a whole chicken. Was more like a baby turkey. Was big and lots of fat. So my drum is getting a good seasoning.

My chicken:

I notice quite a lot of liquid at the bottem. I am sure it is the chicken fat. Will that be a problem for the food or drum ?. I have a 14" basket so it is a bit narrow. I will just tip some ash in to soak it up and the scoop it out.
I have the same issue with moisture in the bottom of my uds. I asked the question and aparently the moisture is normal. I soak mine up with some paper towel. btw nice uds
bstomper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker