MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-15-2013, 08:35 AM   #11251
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiDave View Post
I just grabbed these (200L/55 US gallons) and placed an order for a River Country thermometer and some high temp paint, can't wait to get started now I just need to grab one of those hinged Weber grates and a few ball valves! If the first one turns out well I'm probably going to cut the other down the middle and create some kind of horizontal doohicky

I like the way these barrels look. It would be a shame to lose the paint scheme/logo during your burn.

I'm just saying.....

Old 08-15-2013, 09:49 AM   #11252
spinningwheel
On the road to being a farker

Pasmadj;

I used 3/4" ball valves and risers. The handle came from a $1.99 mastic glue spreader that I bought at Home Depot. I was looking for handles and really didn't like the choices that they had in hardware, so as I was wandering the store I saw the spreaders and also saw that the handles are screwed to the metal spreader part. I bought a couple of them and took the screws out and had the handles. I cut a couple 1 1/2" pieces of 1/2" conduit for spacers and screwed the handle to the top.

Old 08-15-2013, 10:10 AM   #11253
Pasmadj
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinningwheel View Post
Pasmadj;

I used 3/4" ball valves and risers. The handle came from a $1.99 mastic glue spreader that I bought at Home Depot. I was looking for handles and really didn't like the choices that they had in hardware, so as I was wandering the store I saw the spreaders and also saw that the handles are screwed to the metal spreader part. I bought a couple of them and took the screws out and had the handles. I cut a couple 1 1/2" pieces of 1/2" conduit for spacers and screwed the handle to the top.
Very creative on the handle. Thanks. I may even have one of those grout spreaders in my garage.

My other question was about the exhaust pipe and fittings in the lid. It looks like you used short pipes and 90s. Did you use conduit nuts on the top and on the underside to secure the pipe?

Are the pipes and 90 deg fittings on the lid 1" diameter?

Old 08-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #11254
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

I believe they call that the "Red Liner of Death". Unless he sandblasts it, a burn will ruin the outside

Quote:
Originally Posted by papaskins View Post
I didn't see finished build pics but hope he kept the Shasta paint job on the outside, it's awesome and original.
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 10:35 AM   #11255
Jumppr
Got rid of the matchlight.

I haven't even come close to reading all this thread, but most of my questions have been answered. I've been looking for a smoker/grill combo for a while now ever since a few months ago when I tried to smoke my baby backs on my gas Kenmore grill. I'm usually pretty successful, but it is a constant battle to keep the little container full of chips from bursting into flames and sending my thermometer skyrocketing!

Since this gas grill is almost 10yrs old, the wife agreed that I should start looking for something new that meets my requirements and that the funds needed would not be withheld (married folk know what I'm talking about) I really wanted a 3 in 1 combo where I could do smoking and gas/char-grilling. I only found a couple that met that standard, but they were too expensive and the reviews were almost all unfavorable.

Fast forward a few months and I stumble across some UDS threads, pictures and videos. That was enough to get the UDS bug and I've been reading this thread pretty steadily ever since. There's a lot of great ideas and suggestions here.....I'd probably have to build 100 UDS's just to incorporate all of them.

Last night I got my basket made and started to season it. I can't say I was really surprised by the performance, but it was still impressive to watch. Once I got it up to temp (250degrees) I was able to hold it there for about 4hrs. Then I went to bed and woke up 8hrs later. The temp dropped down to just under 200. I opened all the holes and took a shower. When I came back up it had climbed up to 300+! I'm pretty sure that if I didn't need to go to work today I could keep the temp at 200-225 and smoke ribs all day!

And now for my one question.......I've seen a lot of variations on basket construction and a lot of them are not as big around as the smaller Weber grill. Is there an advantage to having a smaller diameter, taller sides as opposed to the larger diameter, shorter sides?

Thanks!
Jumppr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #11256
Clatus
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default Some Questions, looking for answers

1) Bought a food grade 55gal drum (had concentrated grape juice in it) did an initial burn and sanded it. Does it need to be bare metal on the inside before seasoning? Got a quote for sandblasting @ $85 in the Augusta Ga area.

2) Where and what kind of stretched metal to use for the charcoal bin. Went to Grainger and they said they don't sell FDA approved/food safe metal. I can understand their hesitancy. I want something that will be safe to use without costing a lot of $$$ (hence why I am building a UDS)

Any assistance is appreciated.

Thank you,
~Clatus
Clatus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 12:51 PM   #11257
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jumppr View Post
I haven't even come close to reading all this thread, but most of my questions have been answered. I've been looking for a smoker/grill combo for a while now ever since a few months ago when I tried to smoke my baby backs on my gas Kenmore grill. I'm usually pretty successful, but it is a constant battle to keep the little container full of chips from bursting into flames and sending my thermometer skyrocketing!

Since this gas grill is almost 10yrs old, the wife agreed that I should start looking for something new that meets my requirements and that the funds needed would not be withheld (married folk know what I'm talking about) I really wanted a 3 in 1 combo where I could do smoking and gas/char-grilling. I only found a couple that met that standard, but they were too expensive and the reviews were almost all unfavorable.

Fast forward a few months and I stumble across some UDS threads, pictures and videos. That was enough to get the UDS bug and I've been reading this thread pretty steadily ever since. There's a lot of great ideas and suggestions here.....I'd probably have to build 100 UDS's just to incorporate all of them.

Last night I got my basket made and started to season it. I can't say I was really surprised by the performance, but it was still impressive to watch. Once I got it up to temp (250degrees) I was able to hold it there for about 4hrs. Then I went to bed and woke up 8hrs later. The temp dropped down to just under 200. I opened all the holes and took a shower. When I came back up it had climbed up to 300+! I'm pretty sure that if I didn't need to go to work today I could keep the temp at 200-225 and smoke ribs all day!

And now for my one question.......I've seen a lot of variations on basket construction and a lot of them are not as big around as the smaller Weber grill. Is there an advantage to having a smaller diameter, taller sides as opposed to the larger diameter, shorter sides?

Thanks!
Go with larger diameter and lower height for a fire basket. If you have a standard flat top drum, you want as much room as possible between the fire and the meat.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #11258
Jumppr
Got rid of the matchlight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
Go with larger diameter and lower height for a fire basket. If you have a standard flat top drum, you want as much room as possible between the fire and the meat.
I got a Weber lid on mine, but I do have 2 cook racks. I think that's what I'll do anyway. It's a little awkward getting it in and out, but that's just because a few of my grill supports are longer then they need to be.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uds1.jpg (29.2 KB, 626 views)
File Type: jpg uds3.jpg (41.9 KB, 630 views)
File Type: jpg uds2.jpg (25.8 KB, 627 views)
Jumppr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 02:21 PM   #11259
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

My bad, sorry, forgot about the grate bolts. Since mine don't have them and my basket is accessed through the side, I overlooked the diameter issue of the fire basket on a standard UDS, since the basket must be dropped in and pulled out through the top.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #11260
spinningwheel
On the road to being a farker

Pasmadj;

3/4" close nipples with 90 ells on the lid also. Conduit lock nuts on both sides of the barrel top to hold the nipples secure.

Clatus;

I use the expanded metal from Home Depot. It cocts about $9.99 for a sheet that's 4' x 24". After the charcoal bin is completed I then use a weed burner to heat the metal red hot and that does away with any and all coatings that may be on it. If you don't have a weed burner you can find them at Harbor Freight or at Home Depot they call them ice melters. If you don't want to do that you can use a plumbers torch with propane or mapp gas to get the metal just as red. Stay upwind when heating the metal so you don't breathe in the metal/coating/plating off gassing.

Old 08-15-2013, 02:45 PM   #11261
Outboard Racer
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Brethren

I would like to thank everyone who has replied to this post. I have built 2 drums and have gained so much information from each that have posted to help me along the way in building mine without any issues at all except my lousy computer skills

Smokerking - I received my package today from you all I can say is wow awesome job on the plates I am impressed!!!!! Thanks so much for your advice, and help I really appreciate it!!

Todd
Outboard Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #11262
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboard Racer View Post
I would like to thank everyone who has replied to this post. I have built 2 drums and have gained so much information from each that have posted to help me along the way in building mine without any issues at all except my lousy computer skills

Smokerking - I received my package today from you all I can say is wow awesome job on the plates I am impressed!!!!! Thanks so much for your advice, and help I really appreciate it!!

Todd
Sure, thank you!

Let me know how the diffuser works out for you!

Old 08-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #11263
Outboard Racer
Knows what a fatty is.

I sure will let you know. By the way your drum is really awesome. Wish I could add your food racks to mine.
Outboard Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #11264
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outboard Racer View Post
I sure will let you know. By the way your drum is really awesome. Wish I could add your food racks to mine.
Thanks, keep in mind that those adjustable grate racks can be bolted to the drum, you don't need to weld them.

Old 08-15-2013, 04:06 PM   #11265
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Well it is hard to believe but I finally made it to the end, 751 pages and 11264 post.

Now I know what Rocky felt like when he hit the top of the steps........

There is one question that needs to be answered "How do I get this liner out and do I need to burn it out?" Just kidding I'm not sure how many times that it was ask.

Just one more thing to think about, When in doubt burn it out........

Thanks everyone for the great information and the entertainment as well.

Last edited by RT; 08-15-2013 at 04:29 PM.. Reason: Add comment "Just one more thing to think about, When in doubt burn it out........"
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker