MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #11221
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockpyle View Post
I am up to page 228, but started gathering materials after about 115 pages and finished my UDS last night.

I found a barrel reconditioner in Detroit that old me an open head heavy duty barrel for $27, Took a bunch of notes during my studies and with a few trips to HD and Lowe's had all of the components. My lovely wife allowed me to cannibalize the 15 year old Weber we have . . err, had.

As a guy without many tools or much experience with metal, cutting the holes was pretty intimidating, but the step-bits were a godsend and much easier than I had expected.

I had to bend out the lip of the Weber lid and rehammer it to form it to the drum. I assume that is because I bought the heavier drum? The guy at the barrel place told me it was a 17h drum. It also has a 2" bung in the side, about 6 inches from the bottom. I briefly considered using a single 2" pipe intake, but ended up taking the advice of many to KISS and build the standard recipe before venturing too far afield.

My only other problem was finding a good source of a strip of expanded metal. I didn't want to have to cut it myself. I ended up using a couple of shelves from HD, chopped a bit, bent a bit and wired it together. No off smells during the seasoning burn, so hopefully it will work.

I found a good online source for custom expanded metal, and although shipping is about the same as the metal, cost, I'll likely remake the charcoal basket when a buddy and I build his.

I sealed up the intakes and lid seal with Hi-temp RTV, and everything went smoothly. Seasoned for about 5.5 hours last night and am ready to throw a couple of butts on tomorrow! I had some fun letting out my iner geek during the seasoning run, learning how the smoker reacted to changes, lip removals, etc. I probably need help:

Wish me luck!

So many thanks to all of you who have created this thread to help those of us coming along behind. I first saw a drum at Bubba's rib burn, and have been toying with the idea of building one for a couple of years. This thread finally got me to do it!

Rock

Like the graph........
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 02:18 PM   #11222
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Finished 500 pages so far............ man my eyes need a break.......

Old 08-09-2013, 03:32 PM   #11223
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

You are showing signs of true geekery. Lovin' it! Waiting for pics of the final product!

Old 08-09-2013, 08:39 PM   #11224
spacemanspiff
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Hey All! this is my first post in the UDS forum.
Started my build a few weeks ago and finally found all the key ingredients for my UDS. I found a drum from a plating shop near by. Its a re-conditioned drum never been used. I then scoured craigslist for an old gasser someone was unloading for FREE! score! I ordered a big poppa smokers UDS enhanced kit. Shout out to Big Poppa! .... and this is what I have so far. I should receive the kit next week and then the fun begins!
spacemanspiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 08:49 PM   #11225
spacemanspiff
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

"ImageTrying to post the images again..??? hope this works..."Image
spacemanspiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-09-2013, 10:44 PM   #11226
tgstrang
Full Fledged Farker

Hi everyone. i'm doing my first UDS build this weekend. i bought a new unlined drum. i have a friend who owns a Sandblasting shop so i am going to have him blast the inside and outside of the drum, as well as sandblast an old weber lid while he's at it. My question has to do with the "rust inhibitor" that is sprayed on the inside of the drum(not a lining, just what is sprayed on the inside to prevent rust....still looks like bare metal). if i have the inside and outside sandblasted do i still need to do a burnout or will the sandblasting itself take care of the rust inhibitor? I would think the sandblasting should take care of it but was just looking for some reassurance. Thanks in advance.

T
tgstrang is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2013, 07:23 AM   #11227
BBQ-Jim
On the road to being a farker

IMHO Burn it..... why take a chance of what is left on the inside of the barrel plus burning it is half the fun of the project.....

Jim
BBQ-Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2013, 07:31 AM   #11228
PhilipW
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Jim View Post
IMHO Burn it..... why take a chance of what is left on the inside of the barrel plus burning it is half the fun of the project.....

Jim
It certainly won't hurt to burn it, but there's no need after sandblasting.
PhilipW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2013, 08:09 AM   #11229
Toadly_Smoked
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacemanspiff View Post
"ImageTrying to post the images again..??? hope this works..."Image

Love the idea of the stand. Cant wait to see the finished product.
Toadly_Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #11230
woodbutcher1
is one Smokin' Farker

hey spaceman,there is a reason for this super sizes UDS thread. I suggest you start reading from page one through the last page and take L O T s of notes. You will even find posts why NOT to sandblast Weber lids. If you want to PM me with your phone # we can talk about it.

55 Gal. UDS
30 Gal. UDS
16 Gal. Mini. UDS
Maverick ET-732 & iQue - 110
woodbutcher1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2013, 10:20 AM   #11231
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Jim View Post

Jim

+1 here also

Old 08-10-2013, 10:24 AM   #11232
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Just started my third smoke of the week on my first UDS, we like smoke!

Trying a couple of 6.25 pound chickens and another fatty, I keep cooking these fatties I'm going to be a fatty.......

Old 08-10-2013, 01:48 PM   #11233
borzwazie
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Jim

Jim

Burn it. Don't take chances.
borzwazie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-10-2013, 03:50 PM   #11234
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodbutcher1 View Post
hey spaceman,there is a reason for this super sizes UDS thread. I suggest you start reading from page one through the last page and take L O T s of notes. You will even find posts why NOT to sandblast Weber lids. If you want to PM me with your phone # we can talk about it.
I do believe this was ment for tgstrang and not spaceman

Old 08-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #11235
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

Spaceman, I like the re-purposing of the gasser cart, are you still going to use the burner? If so where are you going to put the tank?

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker