MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:24 PM   #11206
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmenard View Post
kind of wondering if I shouldn't cut it down some, but I guess we will see.
Tall won't hurt a thing but if it ends up too short for a long run after you cut it just more work to put it back.....
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2013, 12:00 PM   #11207
DogBiscuit
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I was thinking of paint options I want to use Duplicolor engine paint because it comes in a assortment of colors I would like to use for my smoker.

The paint is rated up to 500 degrees. aftermy initial burnout I doubt this drum will ever see anything above 400 unless I really do something bad.

Would you guys think it's safe to try that paint?
DogBiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2013, 12:05 PM   #11208
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogBiscuit View Post
I was thinking of paint options I want to use Duplicolor engine paint because it comes in a assortment of colors I would like to use for my smoker.

The paint is rated up to 500 degrees. aftermy initial burnout I doubt this drum will ever see anything above 400 unless I really do something bad.

Would you guys think it's safe to try that paint?
I've used it and it will peel at 400 degrees or so. My BIL let his go and it peeled the bottom area of the drum.

I've been using the Rustoleum 2000 degree grill paint as my primer, then paint over it with any standard, non heat color I want. No issues so far but I haven't gotten any of my drums over 300 degrees either.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #11209
esselle
Full Fledged Farker

Made it through 748 pages! Uds built and pics to follow.

Old 08-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #11210
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by esselle View Post
Made it through 748 pages! Uds built and pics to follow.

Congrats on making it to page 748.........

I'm at 451 and counting but my first UDS is cooking........

Good luck on your first build and have fun........
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2013, 09:38 PM   #11211
teeb57
Found some matches.

I read on here a couple of times that when using pipe nipple for an intake, the holes in the drum need to be coated with something to help prevent rusting. Can anyone give me some help remembering what that something was? I was going to secure my pipe nipples with conduit nuts and am a little concerned about the rusting issue.

Any help or suggestions is always appreciated.

Steve
teeb57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #11212
J dawg
Got rid of the matchlight.

I would just paint em with the drum. That should keep them from rusting
J dawg is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2013, 10:19 AM   #11213
papaskins
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Back from vacation, time to get back to my UDS projects.
papaskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2013, 11:51 AM   #11214
FDIESEL95
Found some matches.

I love the way you made the water pan. BRAVO!!!!!
FDIESEL95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #11215
Toadly_Smoked
Got Wood.

WOW!!! Finally made it through the thread. Now to get a drum and get my smoke on.
Toadly_Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-2013, 04:18 PM   #11216
funugy
Take a breath!

Quote:
Originally Posted by teeb57 View Post
I read on here a couple of times that when using pipe nipple for an intake, the holes in the drum need to be coated with something to help prevent rusting. Can anyone give me some help remembering what that something was? I was going to secure my pipe nipples with conduit nuts and am a little concerned about the rusting issue.

Any help or suggestions is always appreciated.

Steve
I would suggest just painting when you paint the rest of the drum. Then when you are doing your fist cook you can lightly spray with some cooking oil.
funugy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 08:47 AM   #11217
rufio
Knows what a fatty is.

Brethren, after much planning I'm finally going to get my UDS up and running this weekend. I have all the parts (nearly) gathered and will be burning it out and sanding it this evening, Seasoning it overnight, and hopefully a first cook at some point tomorrow.

My single question: I have some nylon casters for it. However temperature range seems to be 250f, I'm assuming fitting the casters before the burn is completely out of the question? But am I right in thinking it will be ok for normal usage?

Old 08-09-2013, 11:54 AM   #11218
rockpyle

Default Rockpyle's UDS Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
Congrats on making it to page 748.........

I'm at 451 and counting but my first UDS is cooking........

Good luck on your first build and have fun........

I am up to page 228, but started gathering materials after about 115 pages and finished my UDS last night.

I found a barrel reconditioner in Detroit that sold me an open head heavy duty barrel for $27, Took a bunch of notes during my studies and with a few trips to HD and Lowe's had all of the components. My lovely wife allowed me to cannibalize the 15 year old Weber we have . . err, had.

As a guy without many tools or much experience with metal, cutting the holes was pretty intimidating, but the step-bits were a godsend and much easier than I had expected.

I had to bend out the lip of the Weber lid and rehammer it to form it to the drum. I assume that is because I bought the heavier drum? The guy at the barrel place told me it was a 17h drum. It also has a 2" bung in the side, about 6 inches from the bottom. I briefly considered using a single 2" pipe intake, but ended up taking the advice of many to KISS and build the standard recipe before venturing too far afield.

My only other problem was finding a good source of a strip of expanded metal. I didn't want to have to cut it myself. I ended up using a couple of shelves from HD, chopped a bit, bent a bit and wired it together. No off smells during the seasoning burn, so hopefully it will work.

I found a good online source for custom expanded metal, and although shipping is about the same as the metal, cost, I'll likely remake the charcoal basket when a buddy and I build his.

I sealed up the intakes and lid seal with Hi-temp RTV, and everything went smoothly. Seasoned for about 5.5 hours last night and am ready to throw a couple of butts on tomorrow! I had some fun letting out my inner geek during the seasoning run, learning how the smoker reacted to changes, lip removals, etc. I probably need help:

Wish me luck!

So many thanks to all of you who have created this thread to help those of us coming along behind. I first saw a drum at Bubba's rib burn, and have been toying with the idea of building one for a couple of years. This thread finally got me to do it!

Rock

Last edited by rockpyle; 08-09-2013 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: typos
rockpyle is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:05 PM   #11219
papaskins

If anyone in or around north Alabama is in the market: 55 gallon closed top stainless steel drums

$200.00 ea.

http://bham.craigslist.org/for/3926144152.html
papaskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-09-2013, 01:17 PM   #11220
kmenard
Got Wood.

making a little progress...having an uncle with an exhaust shop helps :)

kmenard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker