MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-01-2013, 06:22 PM   #11176
STUMP52
Got rid of the matchlight.

OK. I made it through 125 pages of this thread before I started getting the parts for my UDS build. I WILL Finish this thread later!!!

Two days ago, I burned out my new drum just to "season" it.

Then today I went for a test run. I took yall's advice and throwed a fatty and a stick of ring bologna on for good measure.

The food turned out good.

I had to watch it because my temps fluctuated by 50-60 degrees if I left it too long. I think I didn't pack my charcoal well enough because it burned to one side. Anyway, hell of a lot better watchin this than the Chargriller! Next on the list next week, RIBS! That'll tell the story!

Oh, when I read this thread again I'm gonna make some damn notes! Still ain't found the right answer for drillin the holes in the lid. I got 6 5/8" holes and it seemed to be alright. If I pack good next run and still see temps fluctuate, I may make some more holes. At least till I can find me a WEBER Lid!

Thanks to all for this great CHEAP smoker.

One other thing, when the bride got home and took a look at it this afternoon she said ain't no way it's stayin on the back patio. Guess I'm gonna have ta dress it up some!

Old 08-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #11177
Outboard Racer
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Uds

N8 man I like your 3 rack system you have. I have to agree my smokers went from simple to more additions after reading here from all the people that post lol.

Smokerking - Thanks for the advice on the racks. Didnt know they were countersunk. And yes I found out in a hurry about a level rack the hard way. In a hurry on my 1st drum and put 4 bolts to hold the grates HUGE MISTAKE.Then drilled the hole for the therm and put it literally right at grate level lol. All has been fixed. Just in a hurry to complete and start smoking but my other drums no issues as I took my time.

Todd
Outboard Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-02-2013, 12:16 AM   #11178
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
kinda...
lolol, we could see eye to eye, lolol
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-02-2013, 06:06 AM   #11179
coachmccoy543
Knows what a fatty is.

Default What part

What part of KY you call home? Just east of Lexington myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUMP52 View Post
OK. I made it through 125 pages of this thread before I started getting the parts for my UDS build. I WILL Finish this thread later!!!

Two days ago, I burned out my new drum just to "season" it.

Then today I went for a test run. I took yall's advice and throwed a fatty and a stick of ring bologna on for good measure.

The food turned out good.

I had to watch it because my temps fluctuated by 50-60 degrees if I left it too long. I think I didn't pack my charcoal well enough because it burned to one side. Anyway, hell of a lot better watchin this than the Chargriller! Next on the list next week, RIBS! That'll tell the story!

Oh, when I read this thread again I'm gonna make some damn notes! Still ain't found the right answer for drillin the holes in the lid. I got 6 5/8" holes and it seemed to be alright. If I pack good next run and still see temps fluctuate, I may make some more holes. At least till I can find me a WEBER Lid!

Thanks to all for this great CHEAP smoker.

One other thing, when the bride got home and took a look at it this afternoon she said ain't no way it's stayin on the back patio. Guess I'm gonna have ta dress it up some!
coachmccoy543 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2013, 08:21 AM   #11180
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

Brides and wifelys have no sence of humor at times.

Old 08-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #11181
cjs27410
Knows what a fatty is.

I have to store mine in the lawnmower barn.
cjs27410 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2013, 11:33 AM   #11182
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Thumbs up First UDS

Thanks to the many posters on this site both good and bad......

I have been reading and working on my first UDS for the last several days and have made it through 270 pages.

The best thing is that I smoked a "Fatty" last night during the seasoning process, oh and it was great at breakfast this morning with hot biscuits.

The build is pretty much the basic build that I have been reading about on the past 270 pages. Starting with 8 pounds of Kingsford in the basket and adding 12 lit coals from a chimney it is up to 250 degrees in ten minutes. There was no problem holding this temperature for nine hours and using only 4.5 pounds of charcoal.

This thing is GREAT, I have been using a New Braunfels "Longhorn Deluxe" for several years and this thing is so much easier to keep the temperature stable and uses very little fuel. With only a $40 investment what can I say, it's GREAT.

I am a UDS believer now.......

Haven't figured out the how to post pictures yet.........

Last edited by RT; 08-02-2013 at 12:12 PM..
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2013, 11:39 AM   #11183
cjs27410
Knows what a fatty is.

When it's out for a smoke.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2.jpg (55.1 KB, 600 views)
cjs27410 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #11184
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Default First UDS Pictures

Now we just need a good clean-up and nice paint, that will have to wait until I have finished cooking the ribs and chichen........ maybe another "Fatty".......

Old 08-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #11185
SY82
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I'm not handy at all. But this thread has definitely got me interested in trying a build of my own. So I contacted Apex Drums inquiring about a food grade drum with a lid for a smoker, and they told me that prices range from $60 to $100 depending on the thickness. Seems a bit pricier than what others in this thread have been getting their drums for.

I guess my question is: What thickness does the drum need to be?
SY82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2013, 12:19 PM   #11186
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Question Temperature Probe Sealing?

What have been the best ideals for running your temperature probe through the side of the drum and sealing it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 08-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #11187
N8man
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY82 View Post
Since you're in California, the thin metal is okay....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RT View Post
What have been the best ideals for running your temperature probe through the side of the drum and sealing it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

for probes the hole just needs to be big enough to fish the probe through, be sure to deburr the hole,
and you can use some aluminum foil to seal it for on the cheap...I have also used a wine cork and drilled it through the center just big enough to fit the probe wire...also on the cheap...

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!

Last edited by N8man; 08-02-2013 at 12:56 PM..
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-02-2013, 02:32 PM   #11188
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by N8man View Post
Since you're in California, the thin metal is okay....

for probes the hole just needs to be big enough to fish the probe through, be sure to deburr the hole,
and you can use some aluminum foil to seal it for on the cheap...I have also used a wine cork and drilled it through the center just big enough to fit the probe wire...also on the cheap...
Thanks N8man, on the cheap is a good thing..........

Old 08-02-2013, 08:15 PM   #11189
oifmarine2003
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY82 View Post
I'm not handy at all. But this thread has definitely got me interested in trying a build of my own. So I contacted Apex Drums inquiring about a food grade drum with a lid for a smoker, and they told me that prices range from $60 to $100 depending on the thickness. Seems a bit pricier than what others in this thread have been getting their drums for.

Try your local scrap yard. You might be able to get a usable drum much cheaper.

Old 08-03-2013, 02:56 PM   #11190
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Default Page 300

I have made it to page 300....... this is going to take some time to get to the end.

Just have to keep reading while I am waiting on the ribs and chicken to finish in a couple of hours.......

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker