MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #11146
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

By the way, I lit this thing yesterday at 10:30 am and it's still sitting at 225* 31 hours later. Amazing!!

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-2013, 07:37 PM   #11147
pitbossJB
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : el jefe

32 hours and counting, still 225* seems like I overloaded it. Oops!!

UDS with 007 mods and pizza top
Highly modified Bandera w/ griddle on firebox
Mini SJ/UDS
micro mini UDS
Smokey Joe's
1983 22.5" Weber kettle
pitbossJB is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 07:51 AM   #11148
wastnawayagn
Got rid of the matchlight.

I've read the entire thread. (God that took forever...)

Been lurking and collecting ideas. I would have a "Cadillac" model by now with all the cool ideas, but I kept it simple to get started, I figure I can add the "optional accessories" later.

BuckBQ is born...

wastnawayagn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #11149
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Newbie here, I am only at page 147 and the barrel is outside burning now.

It will take a while to catch up.......
RT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 11:38 AM   #11150
moontz
On the road to being a farker

Another big poppa EDS. Installation & quality of everything was flawless. I didnt need all the bling so held off on the shield and chrome bottle opener for now. Nice father son activity :)

IMG_20130712_180507.jpgIMG_20130727_130212.jpgIMG_20130727_165703.jpg
moontz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 02:15 PM   #11151
cleancarpetman
Found some matches.

Default Round 2-gleaning ideas

Hey Brothers,
I have thoroughly enjoyed this thread! I have NOT READ every page but I have SEEN every page. I began "stealing" ideas and pictures and posting to Evernote after having viewed more than 500 pages. I started from the back to front without knowing which was which. There are some amazing builds to inspire all levels of skill. I am most interested in the simplest of builds for a couple of reasons--aesthestics and my own skill level and budget.
I have officially begun my build! I am in the PLANNING stage. I plan to decide on the build design and assemble all the parts and pieces at once before beginning. I have a restaurant background and will practice 'mise en place', every thing gathered, measured and placed in order of assembly. The idea of a 'practice drum' occurred to me as well, so that my lack of drilling, cutting and welding could be improved multiple times before I have to do it 'for real'.
I enjoy the community of builders and users here. It seems most of you enjoy building and smoking with equal enjoyment. For me it is a necessary evil to get to the fun stuff--serving good food to others.
I suppose this could have been posted in another more appropriate thread, like Cattle Call, but this feels like home right here. I have a large BGE and post on the greeneggers site as
'Q Bruddah.

Thanks to ALL of you who have gone before me and built great smokers.
cleancarpetman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 02:19 PM   #11152
smoken Jokers
Got Wood.

Hello fellow UDS Brethren,
Just want to say thanks for all the help and pre experience’s here on building my UDS, although I didn’t really need it just had to have one, I also have a 250 Gal. off set on a trailer, and 2 large BGE’s and from shopping for my Weber top I found a steal on a 22.5 Weber grill practically brand new ($40.00) on CL and it seems like now all I ever use is the UDS dag gum that thing cooks good, thanks again for all the good info.

PS: Tried to post a picture hadn’t figured it out yet.

SMOKEN JOKERS BBQ TEAM

I think I figured the picture thing out...

Last edited by smoken Jokers; 07-29-2013 at 02:41 PM..
smoken Jokers is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2013, 05:07 PM   #11153
jWgIzMo
Found some matches.

Sure wish I had some welding skills, Great job
jWgIzMo is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-30-2013, 11:54 AM   #11154
papaskins
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Have been reading this thread for weeks, slowly making my way to the end. You guys have me hooked. Started two drums but can't finish them till back from vacation. If I pick up as much info in the next 500 pages as I did the first 200, even I couldn't screw up a build. Looking forward to my first cook.
papaskins is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2013, 04:56 PM   #11155
RT
Full Fledged Farker

Up to page 215....... is there an end...........

Old 07-30-2013, 05:01 PM   #11156
RT
Full Fledged Farker

They have black at both Lowes and HD here........

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC8 View Post
I apologize, I didn't read the entire 743 pages of this thread and I'm sure this has been answered...but if someone could please throw me a bone, that would be awesome. I'm mentally planning a future UDS build and have been stuck on this part. I would be moving forward with the no-weld UDS but this is the best threaded nipple I could find for the intakes, however it's the dreaded Galvanized Steel. Is this what everyone else is using for intakes?

http://www.menards.com/main/electric...241-c-9538.htm

Old 08-01-2013, 08:04 AM   #11157
Pasmadj
Got Wood.

Default Rack Heights - Need Advice

My first UDS build is in process. I have the drum, and I am removing the powder paint so I can apply high temp primer and finish coats.

I have read A LOT in this thread. So at this point, I could just dive in and make something that would be very good. Also, I could overthink every detail to the point of paralysis. I am trying my best to use the KISS principle, and I recite my favorite statement from this thread: "After all, it is a UDS!"

I want to mount all of the hardware before I paint, so I am thinking through options for cooking grate heights.

I will initially use the flat, no-hole lid. I like the idea of modifying the drum for a kettle lid. But, I can't weld, and I don't have more than a serious handyman's set of tools - none for body-working / metal working.

I want to have the ability to use 2 racks for ribs, and butts. I also want to be able to smoke a big turkey (knowing I will only be able to use 1 rack).

I will put in mounting bolts for a diverter / water pan. I look forward to cooking some 'cue with and without a diverter. I see the logic both ways.

Can someone recommend racks heghts - with respect to the underside of the lid?

Thanks.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:47 AM   #11158
gaspipe1
Full Fledged Farker

I have a 3 rack system, the lowest for a water pan. From the lowest rack to the top of the drum is 16 1/4". From the lowest rack go up 6" and drive a hole for the middle rack. Then 11" up from the lowest rack, for your highest rack.

With this system I have been able to smoke just about anything including a turkey w/ a water pan. Good Luck!

BTW just my 2 cents, I won't use a water pan or diverter anymore. I would use it for beans or a side. Last time I used my smoker, I made 3 racks of BB ribs. And water was dripping out of the intake pipe. So I no longer use a water pan, BUT I was told to use one if I am smoking ONLY breasts (chicken or turkey) otherwise it does not need it.
gaspipe1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2013, 10:49 AM   #11159
Outboard Racer
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Racks

I have built several UDS and have tried different heights as well. They all have had Weber dome lids and the flat ones that came with the barrels. I wish I would have built them like Smokerking did and used shelving racks so you can put your racks whatever height you choose and not stuck with the set you put in with bolts, u -clamps etc.

Todd
Outboard Racer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #11160
Pasmadj
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaspipe1 View Post
I have a 3 rack system, the lowest for a water pan. From the lowest rack to the top of the drum is 16 1/4". From the lowest rack go up 6" and drive a hole for the middle rack. Then 11" up from the lowest rack, for your highest rack.

With this system I have been able to smoke just about anything including a turkey w/ a water pan. Good Luck!

BTW just my 2 cents, I won't use a water pan or diverter anymore. I would use it for beans or a side. Last time I used my smoker, I made 3 racks of BB ribs. And water was dripping out of the intake pipe. So I no longer use a water pan, BUT I was told to use one if I am smoking ONLY breasts (chicken or turkey) otherwise it does not need it.
Thank-you very much for the detailed response.

So, you have 5" above your middle rack, and 5 1/4" above your top rack (minus the lid?). Is that enough space for butts on both racks?

I am struggling with the "no water pan or diverter" concept. I am telling myself to just try it out and see for myself. But, indirect heat is so engrained in me, and I can't believe that having coals directly below the meat, doesn't violate the "indirect" concept. Also, many people talk about how the meat cooks faster in a UDS. Does that mean it is more of a high-heat cook, and not low-and-slow?

Have you ever tried just a diverter - instead of the water pan?

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker