MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-19-2013, 03:37 PM   #11116
Nygfan2283
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Default new member UDS

Hey all, just wanted to thank everyone for all the info they share about building these smokers. After reading about 60 pages of this thread, i couldnt sit still anymore and made a phone call to a family member who works for a company that gets rid of drums weekly. The drums held used cooking oil and had the liner, but the weed burner made short work of that. I definitely followed the KISS method and there are no bells and whistles on this one, just a straight up smoker. Once the paint is on (and i figure out how to) I will post some pics. Man are these things fantastic and i cant wait to use the heck out of it. Thanks again
Nygfan2283 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 10:04 PM   #11117
ClayQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachi-roku_fan View Post
ClayQ do you have any plans or drawings for that table? I really dig it and would like to build one myself. Thanks!!
Sorry no plans. This was a project that grew from a box made of 3/4" construction plywood. I used deck screw fasteners and biscuits with high temp silicone adhesive to join the panels. Old fashion milk paint -lamp black- and linseed oil for a protectant and neumatic wheels from Harbor Freight completed this table. Hope this helps. Be creative and build your table to suit your needs. Custom work is a big part of making your own smoker. Have fun and thanks for the complement.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #11118
ClayQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekwalker View Post
ClayQ, did you originally cook with direct heat, as most drum users do? If so, are you still doing so with your superinsulated version? (Still not using a heat deflector?) Are your meat drippings getting vaporized on the lower fires you're burning now?
Most of my cooks are indirect but I often go direct over coals to finish the meat. As an example I cook wings indirect then the last 15 or 20 minutes I'll go direct to crisp up the edges that add both flavor and apperance. My setup in the drum has three grid levels above the charcoal. The one closest to the fire is used to hold a large pizza pan that works as my heat deflector and my drip pan. Two more grids above is for cooking/smoking meat. I have grilled on the lowest grid for searing. I burn 2/3 less lump charcoal after insulating, very pleased with that.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:23 PM   #11119
creekwalker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayQ View Post
Most of my cooks are indirect but I often go direct over coals to finish the meat. As an example I cook wings indirect then the last 15 or 20 minutes I'll go direct to crisp up the edges that add both flavor and apperance. My setup in the drum has three grid levels above the charcoal. The one closest to the fire is used to hold a large pizza pan that works as my heat deflector and my drip pan. Two more grids above is for cooking/smoking meat. I have grilled on the lowest grid for searing. I burn 2/3 less lump charcoal after insulating, very pleased with that.
Thanks
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-19-2013, 10:38 PM   #11120
ClayQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
Clay Q.......I like the way you boxed the drum and added insulation. I wonder instead of fiberglass insulation if perlite or vermiculite would also be effective as they can take very high temps and are also readily available at most garden centers.
I thought about vermiculite but decided not to because I did not want loose insulation working it's way out the bottom where I have my air intake. Vermiculite would work out good as an insulator though, just pour it in but my drum box is not air tight. I have inside ventelation at each corner of the box where the joints are-panel edge to panel side. There is an intake at each bottom corner and a exhaust at each corner top. You cannot see them because they are under the table top and box. This is to keep the corners relativly cool by allowing airflow to travel into and out of the plywood box. Fiberglass insulation is next to the drum with aluminum sheet flashing encasing the fiberglass on all sides including top and bottom creating a 3" thick heat barrier. The drum is fastened to the plywood bottom using 1 1/4" ceraimic spacers. So far my table has not caught on fire, he he. It's an amazing cooker and I'm having fun.

Old 07-23-2013, 07:27 AM   #11121
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

Well I snagged a UniFlame grill and I'm going to try to fit the lid to my UDS. Wish me luck. It's 22" instead of 22.5 as a Weber is but I have seen some done.

Old 07-24-2013, 11:50 AM   #11122
Pasmadj
Got Wood.

Default First UDS - Need to use the KISS principle

Hello All. Thanks for this thread - very educational. I found a new, unlined drum. It does not have the ribs that I am used to seeing on 'typical' drums. I know they reinforce the sides.

Has anyone used a drum like this? Do you think the lack of ribs will be a MAJOR issue, or just a potential nuisance?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 130724-01 - Purchased Unlined Drum - 2.jpg (57.5 KB, 689 views)

Old 07-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #11123
wonka
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Thanks to all the great info that helped me build my uds.. Couldn't be happier with the results

image.jpg
wonka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 06:30 PM   #11124
N8man
Babbling Farker

You'll just need to be careful handling it when moving it around to ensure
that you don't inadvertently dent in the sides...
Good Luck with your build..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasmadj View Post
Hello All. Thanks for this thread - very educational. I found a new, unlined drum. It does not have the ribs that I am used to seeing on 'typical' drums. I know they reinforce the sides.

Has anyone used a drum like this? Do you think the lack of ribs will be a MAJOR issue, or just a potential nuisance?

How I Fire Up That Ugly DrumPit Smoker!!!!
N8man is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-24-2013, 08:08 PM   #11125
nedayboyz
Got Wood.

Check out my UDS build!!!
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=166390

Old 07-26-2013, 10:52 AM   #11126
cleancarpetman
Found some matches.

I have been inundated on this thread with all manner of "fancy" designs of UDS's, most out of my creative skill level, esp "team logo" smokers. I especially like this one because it pays homage to the original use of the barrel. There is a funky charm to it and for my money it is the essence of the Ugly Drum Smoker, a venerable workhorse re-purposed as a utilitarian piece of equipment still pulling its weight. Thanks for the post and pictures.
cleancarpetman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 11:02 AM   #11127
cleancarpetman
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMA_Redneck View Post
Took me a while to read it all but finally got through it and built one. Works great for such a simple system. Had a ECB and Walmart $99 sidebox both of which are junk. The sidebox takes so much tending and the ECB peters out after 5 hours. This thing seems like it will run for days on a basket of lump charcoal. I have about $40 invested and its worth every penny. Its great to be able to put meat on before bed and wake up in the morning to a delicious hunk of BBQ.
Thanks to all who contributed to this thread.
Oh heres a pic because of course no pictures means it didn't happen.
I have been inundated on this thread with all manner of "fancy" designs of UDS's, most out of my creative skill level, esp "team logo" smokers. I especially like this one because it pays homage to the original use of the barrel. There is a funky charm to it and for my money it is the essence of the Ugly Drum Smoker, a venerable workhorse re-purposed as a utilitarian piece of equipment still pulling its weight. Thanks for the post and pictures.

Posting on www.greeneggers.com as 'Q Bruddah

Last edited by cleancarpetman; 07-26-2013 at 11:03 AM.. Reason: proper placement of reply
cleancarpetman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2013, 11:47 AM   #11128
Pasmadj
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayQ View Post
I am starting a UDS build, and I want to include the option of a deflector / water pan. Can you post pics of your UDS, and also, some dimensions of your rack supports, coal basket, etc.?

Old 07-26-2013, 11:58 AM   #11129
Pasmadj
Got Wood.

Default First UDS - A Few Questions

Hello all. I have read through dozens of pages of this thread, but not all of them. So I apologize if I ask a question that has already been discussed.

1. I have a new drum that is plain steel on the inside, and a gloss finish on the outside. I need to remove the outside paint before applying high temp paint right? Has anyone used Rustoleum "Aircraft Remover"? It is a paint removing spray. A few videos show it working well.

2. Should I apply a high temp primer before the finish coat?

3. I've seen some pretty fancy UDSs. Where can I get high temp paint in colors other than black, brown and grey?

4. I see that some of you use stainless hardware. I have read that galvanized is bad. Is zinc-plated hardware OK?

Thanks!

Old 07-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #11130
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

4. you can use zinc-plated but need to burn the zinc off.
3. Engine pant is all that is really needed. Didn't remove the paint, just painted over it.
2.Not necessary, see 3
1.See 2 and 3.

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker