MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-11-2013, 05:06 AM   #11071
BobBill
Knows what a fatty is.

I would say, simple is best. Smoking stuff is not rocket science. If a simple convection system works, that is goal, but experiments are fun too.
BobBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-11-2013, 05:55 AM   #11072
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Might as well add to the mega UDS thread so I can rememeber what it looked like new 4 years from now;

SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-11-2013, 06:20 AM   #11073
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Wow, amazing!

Old 07-11-2013, 06:28 AM   #11074
BobBill
Knows what a fatty is.

Holy Schdit, Rube Goldberg lives...funny. The point is taken.

Old 07-11-2013, 06:48 PM   #11075
rockville9
Got rid of the matchlight.

thank you for your help. smoke on!!! (multi-levels there...)
rockville9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #11076
BobBill
Knows what a fatty is.

I would suggest that our "Frankensmoker" in Arizona, no ill intent intended, should remain unfired and placed in the UDS Hall of Fame. It is too cool to besmirch with soot and grease. I thank our Arizona bro for his humor and hard work. Fagin amazing, that!

Old 07-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #11077
SmokerKing
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBill View Post
I would suggest that our "Frankensmoker" in Arizona, no ill intent intended, should remain unfired and placed in the UDS Hall of Fame. It is too cool to besmirch with soot and grease. I thank our Arizona bro for his humor and hard work. Fagin amazing, that!
"Frankensmoker", I like that!

No Hall Of Fame, I'll be greasin it up with BB's this weekend if all goes as planned.
SmokerKing is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2013, 03:25 PM   #11078
JackandStacey
Got Wood.

Hi guys, my head is spinning after spending the past few days reading this thread from the beginning . I'm up to page 230. Would like to start my build this weekend but I haven't read about a stainless drum other than the one with the pellet hopper. Any special prep work required? Also just want to make sure that opinions on setup haven't changed over the course of the 500 pages I haven't read yet. Is it still 3x3/4" intake, 2 capped, one vale 2" from bottom. Basket 3" from bottom of barrel, and 24" from bottom of basket to the first rack? Ready this thread is making me hungry and I don't want to do something wrong with my only stainless drum.
JackandStacey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-12-2013, 11:46 PM   #11079
banderson1357
Found some matches.

Stainless drum??!!!!! Yikes, I'd sell that and buy a steel one and buy meat and beer with the difference. Those things are about 700 bucks new in the industrial catalogs! Good luck with the build.
banderson1357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2013, 05:23 AM   #11080
armor
is one Smokin' Farker

I havn't looked at this thread in a couple of years. Clicked on it this am and I am looking at this UDS. I love it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerKing View Post
Might as well add to the mega UDS thread so I can rememeber what it looked like new 4 years from now;

Risk is the price you pay for opportunity.

SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!
armor is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2013, 09:45 AM   #11081
woodtang
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

I''m 4 cooks in to my ugly drum. Man I love this thing. Gotta thank From the Pit BBQ for setting me up. I've done a fattie, two whole chickens, a butt and did 12 thighs last night. I'm lovin it. I want to quit my job and cook everyday now. Seems like the more you use it the better you get kinda figuring your way along.
woodtang is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-13-2013, 11:12 AM   #11082
DeepElemCue
Full Fledged Farker

I have a guy sandblasting my barrel as I type. My concern is, I'm not sure what was in the barrel and the old guy I bought them from didn't know either (he literally had hundreds of them he bought from another guy). I put some flame to the inside and whatever it was (consistency of cold grease) didn't light. Not sure how to proceed.......
DeepElemCue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2013, 04:30 PM   #11083
Phishwhisperer
Found some matches.

Default Will He Make It?

Currently at post 10,201 of 11,082!!! I think I'll make it to the end! Am I weird for reading all this? It's kind of addictive.

I do have to say that it is getting a bit boring reading the same entry: "I've just gotten my drum. It's bare metal inside. Do I still need to burn it?" Or: "My drum held isopropanol and it's not lined. Do I need to burn it?" Or: "My drum held grease. ..." Heck no, you don't need to burn it! Why make the job harder than it needs to be? Just wash it with detergent, rinse it, and get on with your build.
Phishwhisperer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2013, 10:02 PM   #11084
JackandStacey
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBill View Post
Holy Schdit, Rube Goldberg lives...funny. The point is taken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderson1357 View Post
Stainless drum??!!!!! Yikes, I'd sell that and buy a steel one and buy meat and beer with the difference. Those things are about 700 bucks new in the industrial catalogs! Good luck with the build.
Which is why I want to build it stainless. I would never pay $700 for a drum. I just happen to run a recycling center, so I have access to just about anything metal for pennies a pound.

I don't want to be one of those guys that come in and ask how to build one without reading the thread. I want to keep with the KISS theory on this build but don't want to drill 1" holes x 3 to later find out I should have gone 3/4" x 4
JackandStacey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-13-2013, 10:49 PM   #11085
bbqgeekess
Babbling Farker

Where do you get those drum bases with casters? I've seen a few UDS setups with them. It's just a circular metal base the drum sits in with casters.

I have another question too. If the 55 gallon drum I bought was 35" tall on the exterior--minus the height of the lid--and I wanted to use the stock 55 gallon drum lid instead of a weber lid, and I wanted to have a diffuser above the charcoal basket (not fond of fat vapors in my smokes), then what should the heights be of the basket feet, basket itself, diffuser grate, 2nd grate and top grate?

Last edited by bbqgeekess; 07-14-2013 at 01:05 AM..
bbqgeekess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker