MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-08-2013, 08:39 AM   #11056
banderson1357
Found some matches.

Default UDS with DIGI Q???

I just completed this UDS and have a couple orders to build others. Like to offer an automatic temp controller like the Digi Q but wonderered if anyone has experience with it and if the volume of air is enough for a UDS. Thanks for the input!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC04962.jpg (47.3 KB, 716 views)
File Type: jpg DSC04972.jpg (77.2 KB, 715 views)
banderson1357 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 10:10 AM   #11057
john_aero
Knows what a fatty is.

having trouble finding clean or new drums here in ireland

BUT i can get my hands on a copper heating tank for free

Anyone know if these would be ok to use. they are used for domestic water and so should be ok for cooking in i take it

temp never going be massive in smokes

only downside i see is slightly smaller in width than a drum smoker and will have hand cut my own grates
john_aero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #11058
Tarbosh
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Default UDS grilling modifcation?

Been looking to build a smoker/grill for a while and stumbled upon the UDS via YouTube. I am new to this site so forgive me if this is considered blasphemy to the low and slow enthusiast on this site but I have a question for the seasoned UDS builders here. Have any of you modified your UDS so you can grill on it?
Tarbosh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #11059
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarbosh View Post
Been looking to build a smoker/grill for a while and stumbled upon the UDS via YouTube. I am new to this site so forgive me if this is considered blasphemy to the low and slow enthusiast on this site but I have a question for the seasoned UDS builders here. Have any of you modified your UDS so you can grill on it?
I've heard of a few people making the fire basket height adjustable for that purpose
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #11060
c farmer
Babbling Farker

People have done it. I plan on doing it too. ( in process of building my uds )

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 06:23 AM   #11061
Gordon Hatch
Wandering around with a bag of matchlight, looking for a match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero View Post
having trouble finding clean or new drums here in ireland

BUT i can get my hands on a copper heating tank for free

Anyone know if these would be ok to use. they are used for domestic water and so should be ok for cooking in i take it

temp never going be massive in smokes

only downside i see is slightly smaller in width than a drum smoker and will have hand cut my own grates
I'm in Drogheda and Boyne Valley Honey can sell you drums - they're lined on inside but nothing a couple of good burns won't sort out. Got mine for €5 each and the guy in the stores even washed the residual honey out with hot water :)
Gordon Hatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #11062
rufio
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c farmer View Post
People have done it. I plan on doing it too. ( in process of building my uds )
Would be interested to hear how you are planning on doing this.

Would imagine a few extra bolts would allow for you to rest the fire basket on a grill placed closer to the top of the uds. Any measurements etc would be great to see.

I'm in the process of gathering parts for my first build, and while i'm all for K.I.S.S, a simple mod like this might be worth trying.
rufio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 07:49 AM   #11063
c farmer
Babbling Farker

Yea a extra set of bolts to sit firebox on right under the cooking grate.

Gold mini wsm 1st gen mes, amazin dust and pellet smoker, and the uds.

Double O' Seven == Rotisserie/Grill/Smoker Hybrid and offset.
c farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 08:02 AM   #11064
BobBill
Knows what a fatty is.

Yes, Good point.

I was going to do that but have two Webers, so figure extra work not necessary.

My plan was to use either 6 long threaded rods, my basket is heavy.

Or hang some heavy metal supports from the top of the drum to hold the basket, the pan bottom and the coals. As I said, heavy...

Should be as functional as the Weber, but I am still using my large Weber which I began to use in 1975.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Squatchin!stSmoke.jpg (89.4 KB, 628 views)
BobBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #11065
Hud
Knows what a fatty is.

Where did you get that stack? I have been looking for one like that!
Hud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #11066
BobBill
Knows what a fatty is.

Default Stack

Hud, My son wrote to some BBQ maker and they sent it to him. It is all SS and about the perfect size for the 4 intakes ratio-wyze. If you search the WWW you might see it...in the meantime, I will email him and ask where he picked it up and if you PM me in a few days, I will be able to advise where and how he picked it up. He decided he liked the "exhaust pipe" style better.

Old 07-10-2013, 10:48 AM   #11067
rockville9
Got rid of the matchlight.

hello all!!! I'm in the process of finishing off my own dual drum, offset, reverse flow smoker, and I'm wondering how you all have made the portal for the thermometer(s). Do you just drill a hole and stick the probe in there? Is there some kind of hardware that would make the portal a little cleaner?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'll be posting pictures when I'm done, which will be soon. Thanks. This post has been an absolute lifesaver. Almost all of my questions have been answered just by reading your super informative, sometimes hilarious posts.

Thanks all!!!
rockville9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #11068
BobBill
Knows what a fatty is.

Hud, Re the chimney, I forgot to add, that my orig plan was to buy some 3" stainless tube about 1 foot long, and have local metal shop cut it into 3 sections, with 45 degree angled cuts, then weld them together in a sort of zig-zag shape and add a ss cone-shaped top, but the gift changed my mind and saved some moola.

Old 07-10-2013, 11:04 AM   #11069
BobBill
Knows what a fatty is.

Rock, I bought a very nice low cost (6-7 $coots) thermo via Amazon, which is spot on temp-wyze.

Drilled a .25 hole in top, as in pic, to fit the threaded part of thermo and added a washer...that was it.

I remove and fill hole with .25 ss bolt, when not using, using same wing-nut that came with the thermo.

I have probe, but the above works just fine, besides, I do simple. Not taking over my life. In fact, I sometimes wonder if the Weber can equal the task...but it is fun.

Last edited by BobBill; 07-10-2013 at 11:37 AM..

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-11-2013, 02:49 AM   #11070
creekwalker
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phishwhisperer View Post
Joined a couple of weeks ago and am diligently reading the thread as I collect parts to construct my own UDS; up to p. 234 right now. I've read many posts relating to various vent configurations as well as how the temp varies from the top to the bottom cooking racks.

Has anybody considered or tried installing vent drop pipes from the lid that might allow the heat to stack up deeper in the top before venting? This might cause a little more convection and achieve more uniform temp profile. Any thoughts?
This post is from the end of June (no one has replied to it). I don't even know what a vent drop pipe would be (a pipe attached to vent hole on lid which would angle out and down the side of the cooker some length?), but the subjects of greater temp uniformity, and increased convection, intrigue me...does anyone have any thoughts?

I reckon incidentally that if a vent drop pipe is what I'm picturing, a series of them could function as spider-like legs for the lid to sit on when it's lifted off the cooker...
creekwalker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker