MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #11041
Hud
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Where did you get the black thermometer from HUD?
Home Depot, I put the moon sticker on it! Its a Brinkman!
Hud is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #11042
Rebel541
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

I've only read up to page 73 out of the hundreds of pages so far, but I couldn't wait and read it all before I made my ODS. Here is the nearly finished Oregon Ducks Smoker:
Rebel541 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #11043
Peddler
Knows what a fatty is.

Took down an old shed and replaced it with this.

Old 07-04-2013, 07:39 PM   #11044
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

So after building mine and cooking on it a few times, I feel like I get better results with my CharGriller duo with the fire box. I did some ribs on the uds today, but didn't get much thing blue smoke that I was expecting. Everything looks to be sealed properly, and I did some ABT's on the grill just to compare and I saw a whole lot more blue smoke. Am I doing something wrong with the uds? Maybe more wood? I used cherry wood in the uds and apple wood in the grill, same KBB in both
hachi-roku_fan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-04-2013, 07:47 PM   #11045
Mr. Bo
is one Smokin' Farker

It isn't allways about the smoke. What did things taste like?

I love my UDS for overnight smokes with butts or briskets. I can actually get some sleep and the food is awesome.
Traeger Lil Pig
Mr. Bo is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from:--->
Old 07-04-2013, 07:58 PM   #11046
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

I got a more pronounced smoke ring and a slightly better taste from the grill even though it leaks like a mother farker. It still tasted great! Maybe I'll use the uds for the pulled pork I was planning on

Old 07-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #11047
sdhjames
Found some matches.

Built this gift for my Brother-in-law.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Basket.jpg (72.3 KB, 675 views)
File Type: jpg AxeHandle.jpg (27.6 KB, 678 views)
File Type: jpg Handle.jpg (35.2 KB, 672 views)
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (44.2 KB, 675 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (37.6 KB, 672 views)
File Type: jpg Final.jpg (47.1 KB, 672 views)

Old 07-05-2013, 11:18 AM   #11048
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachi-roku_fan View Post
So after building mine and cooking on it a few times, I feel like I get better results with my CharGriller duo with the fire box. I did some ribs on the uds today, but didn't get much thing blue smoke that I was expecting. Everything looks to be sealed properly, and I did some ABT's on the grill just to compare and I saw a whole lot more blue smoke. Am I doing something wrong with the uds? Maybe more wood? I used cherry wood in the uds and apple wood in the grill, same KBB in both

Did you look at N8Man's thread on loading the basket?

Start there, then improvise.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:19 AM   #11049
SmokinJohn
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhjames View Post
He is lucky to have you. Nice looking UDS.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #11050
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhjames View Post
Wow! Nice job on that drum, your brother-in-law is gonna love it!

Also, great idea on that ax handle! The only thing I would have done differently were to actually imbed part of the ax into the lid.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:32 AM   #11051
Carbon
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hachi-roku_fan View Post
So after building mine and cooking on it a few times, I feel like I get better results with my CharGriller duo with the fire box. I did some ribs on the uds today, but didn't get much thing blue smoke that I was expecting.
I don't much blue smoke either on my UDS. Otherwise, how were the ribs themselves?

Old 07-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #11052
hachi-roku_fan
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carbon View Post
I don't much blue smoke either on my UDS. Otherwise, how were the ribs themselves?
Ribs were ok this time around. The only thing I didn't like was the texture of the meat. Hard to explain. The IT was supposedly 190ish. Didn't foil them either. I know UDS' were designed to work without a water pan so I didn't put one in

Old 07-05-2013, 03:27 PM   #11053
keepQn
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadsr4 View Post
Is this what you meant by doubling as a grill?
Ultimate Drum Smoker build - ability to raise the fire basket
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...ad.php?t=70676
Mine also doubles as a grill .
I just bolted 3 steel adjustable shelf bracket (standards) equidistant around the inside ....cut the shelf supports short enough so that you can maneuver the fire basket up or down between them but long enough to support the basket securely when you have raised (or lowered ) it to the desired height .
Got some calf moose ribs on right now....in the second stage of the 3.2.1 method ....hope they turn out as good as the pork ribs that i did last weekend....
Thanks for all the good ideas on this site.
I built mine about 2 years ago....found a grill last summer did up a fattie and some ribs ...getting better
keepQn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #11054
jlacy
Got rid of the matchlight.

Thumbs up I finally did it.

Found the barrels for $5 on CL.
IMAG0451.jpg

They were grease barrels but had the plastic bag liner. Really clean inside but I did a big burn just in case. Then I power washed and hand scrubbed.
IMAG0452.jpg

Clean before paint. I touched it up with a wire brush on a grinder first.
IMAG0454.jpg

Found the Walmart grate on sale for $10. I just used 1/4" bolts for the rack mount. Works good. Also went with 4 3/4" holes that for now I am using the magnet method of air control. I can always go back and add the nipples, caps and valve if needed.
IMAG0458.jpg

Black BBQ Paint. Just keeping it ugly for now.
IMAG0457.jpg

Season/test burn. Coated with spay oil and burnt ran for several hours.
Held stead on 325 with 1 and 3/4 holes open. 250 with 1 hole open.
I just hand bent and wired a basket for now.
I will make something better up when I understand a little better what I need. Or maybe I will just use this one for ever!
IMAG0461.jpg

Ran some leg quarters just to get the hang of it. I put a little to much wood in but other than that it was very easy to use.
IMAG0463.jpg

Turned out good. Better half and kids loved them. On to bigger and better cuts.
IMAG0464.jpg

Advice. Just build it. Very easy, cheap and seems to be a capable cooker. Much easier to use than the cheap offsets I have used.

Old 07-07-2013, 09:27 PM   #11055
Exocet
Knows what a fatty is.

Finally decided to build a smoker. Been working on various rubs for pork shoulder and ribs for a few years, but only had an oven to cook them in. Always taste good, but still missing something.

Over the holiday I was eyeing some smokers, electric, lower-end side firebox, etc. To get something halfway decent (WSM, etc) I was looking at $300+. That's not happening right now. Started researching, on this site and elsewhere, and came across the UDS. That seemed to fit the bill - simple enough for a newbie, inexpensive, and I get to design and build it myself!

So far, I've requisitioned a 55 gal barrel (unlined) that was used for coconut oil and got some caster wheels and assorted bolts and nuts. Still looking for a cheap, gently used Weber 22.5 kettle grill to act as a donor for the grates and lid. No big hurry yet. As long as I keep the occasional expenses low, it won't attract the attention of the CFO!

Fighting the urge to over design it right now. Just the engineer in me.

As with most newbies, I have a couple of questions pertaining to the barrel.

1) Do I need to burn it out? I cleaned out the coconut oil residue with soap and water. I don't really have a place to have a roaring fire (too many trees).
2) I assume the current exterior paint needs to be removed as it likely isn't heat tolerant. Since I can't burn it off with a burn out, I'm left with a heat gun, chemical strippers, or sanding it off (ugh).

I'll be documenting the results as I go. So, can add a few more pages to this thread!
Exocet is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
divided circle template, uds, ugly drum, ugly drum grill, ugly drum smoker